1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Power Stroke Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 03:55 PM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ggarrahan
Well, I don't make it a habit to race trucks, but all I can say is that this F250 with the 6.0 would not be able keep up with my stock '03 5.4 from a dead stop. The owner of the 6.0 agreed. It seemed that the 6.0 needed time to wind up after starting from idle to make any power, while the 5.4 seems to have alot of torque from just off idle. I've read posts on this site about how much power the 6.0 has, that's why I wanted to drive the 6.0. If this truck (which was brand new) is indicative of the performance of the 6.0 in general, I'll stick with gas engines. I was really disapointed!
I understand what you're saying. To inform a little more, yes because the PSD is turbo charged there is lag. However this is corrected by doing a MINI break stand. ONly to at MOST 2000rpms. The goal is not to launch, but to spool up your turbo. Then just role out of the break and you'll be gone. Even without a brake stand, provided the pull isn't something like 25 ft, the PSD WILL catch up, and since it is spooled by then. All you'll see is a truck fading in your rear view. If for some reason someone wants to race me, which by the way is becoming increasingly hard to find, I make it a point to adjust my passenger mirror so I can watch myself blow by em'.

Corey

Old 09-09-2004, 03:59 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
on edit.... Corey - u beat me to it

Then it's more of a driver knowledge problem
these 6.0's (even in an 8K+ lb Excursion) can literally roast the tires off these things...

I'd like to see the 60 foot times for your 5.4....
think it's in the under 2.0 second range ? I've heard of 1.6+ out of some 6.0's !!!!

that's VERY fast for anything ! ! !

check the drag slips or dyno numbers... they aren't fudge or seat of the pants

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 09-09-2004 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:34 PM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
on edit.... Corey - u beat me to it

Then it's more of a driver knowledge problem
these 6.0's (even in an 8K+ lb Excursion) can literally roast the tires off these things...

I'd like to see the 60 foot times for your 5.4....
think it's in the under 2.0 second range ? I've heard of 1.6+ out of some 6.0's !!!!

that's VERY fast for anything ! ! !

check the drag slips or dyno numbers... they aren't fudge or seat of the pants
ya well the record needs to be straight that the 6.0's roast it all. The 5.4 and v10, the dud Hemi Magnum, the cummins h.o. 600... Line em' all up, and I'll smoke everyone of them.

Corey

*Parts Changers*

Old 09-10-2004, 05:58 AM
dsweger
Senior User
It would seem that there is also an issue with Ford (and some of the Ford dealers) in that they either refuse or they are unable to provide the technical support needed for these highly complex motors and transmissions.

How many posts in these forums can you find where a Powerstroke was made worse by the service department? How many instances can you find that the simple and easy fix was to go to another dealer who has/had a good "diesel guy"?

It would be interesting to delve into the data and see just how much Ford has spent because of inept Service Departments and mechanics. ( I am not holding all the mechanics responsible here either. ) Do they have the training? Do they have all the tools and documentation? Do they work in an environment where they are encouraged to do the right thing, and diagnose and fix it correctly, no matter what the flat rate book says?????

When I read the technical overview of how these Powerstrokes work, I sat there thinking, " Good grief, it's a wonder that it even runs at all. " Men have gone to the moon, riding on technology which doesn't exceed what is under hood of our trucks.

Any time you put this level of performance in a package this complex, you are going to find some weak links. Ther are a great many detailed events have to happen for a Powerstroke to run at idle, let alone turn out 300+ HP and 550+ ftlbs or torque.

All I can say is: yeee haaa when I step on that pedal.....!!!!

Old 09-10-2004, 11:14 AM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Originally Posted by dsweger
It would seem that there is also an issue with Ford (and some of the Ford dealers) in that they either refuse or they are unable to provide the technical support needed for these highly complex motors and transmissions.

How many posts in these forums can you find where a Powerstroke was made worse by the service department? How many instances can you find that the simple and easy fix was to go to another dealer who has/had a good "diesel guy"?

It would be interesting to delve into the data and see just how much Ford has spent because of inept Service Departments and mechanics. ( I am not holding all the mechanics responsible here either. ) Do they have the training? Do they have all the tools and documentation? Do they work in an environment where they are encouraged to do the right thing, and diagnose and fix it correctly, no matter what the flat rate book says?????

When I read the technical overview of how these Powerstrokes work, I sat there thinking, " Good grief, it's a wonder that it even runs at all. " Men have gone to the moon, riding on technology which doesn't exceed what is under hood of our trucks.

Any time you put this level of performance in a package this complex, you are going to find some weak links. Ther are a great many detailed events have to happen for a Powerstroke to run at idle, let alone turn out 300+ HP and 550+ ftlbs or torque.

All I can say is: yeee haaa when I step on that pedal.....!!!!
Thanks bud, I've said it before many of times. Parts changers make it much worse than it is. As i explained in my earlier post, if your dealer can't diagnos your prob with these trucks in one day, and say they need it more than 7 days to fix it. It's the dealer. I've seen complete engine swamps done in 7 business days. Again one day to diagnos. I've seen entire heads rebuilt AT the dealer, BY the Diesel Tech, in 4 days. The problem is crap dealers who don't put up the money to have the training completely. I also previously stated that you should ALWAYS ask to see your techs crudentials. This is completely within legal boundaries, and if they refuse because they believe you don't have grounds, find another dealer and quick. They will make your problem ten times worse than it is. Most dealers here, again I say most. Display all the crudentials on all their techs on the wall. They will circle the name of the guy working on your truck, and it is very easy to see they have the right guy working on your truck. Another thing most of you probably don't know. Overfilling over in these trucks, will cause massive problems, surging, ruff idle, no start, no power.. It's amazing how simple it is to check the dipstick, yet some dealers don't. Did you also know you should be having a Diesel Maintenance Certified Tech doing your oil changes and what not?? Might again want to see those certificates before next time. Maybe suggest they display their crudentials on the wall of the service office.

Best of Luck,
Corey

*Parts Changers*

Old 09-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Big Dually
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ggarrahan
Well, I don't make it a habit to race trucks, but all I can say is that this F250 with the 6.0 would not be able keep up with my stock '03 5.4 from a dead stop. The owner of the 6.0 agreed. It seemed that the 6.0 needed time to wind up after starting from idle to make any power, while the 5.4 seems to have alot of torque from just off idle. I've read posts on this site about how much power the 6.0 has, that's why I wanted to drive the 6.0. If this truck (which was brand new) is indicative of the performance of the 6.0 in general, I'll stick with gas engines. I was really disapointed!
I read alot of people like you compairing apples to oranges. First of all, the F-250 weighs about 1,500 lbs more than your F-150. Put that weight in your pick up bed then race the F-250 to be equal. I used to own a F-350, CC, dually, 4X2, V-10 and now a F-350, Dually, CC, 4X4, 6.0 PSD. And the difference is like night and day. My stock V-10 Triton would smoke any stock F-150, 5.4 Triton any day. The V-10 was quicker off the line and had alot more punch than my oil burner. My current Truck weighs 850 lbs more than my V-10 did. The engine alone is 500 lbs more, plus 350 lbs for the front solid axle 4X4. But I can tow the same travel trailer smoother and and a lot easer and the engine doesnt work as hard than with my V-10. I made the change to pull more with ease. If I wanted a hot rod to race everyone, I would have gotten a Mustang.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:10 PM
ggarrahan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big Dually- I agree it's apples to oranges, I understand that the F150 is much lighter than the F250 or F350. Plus, the F250 was 4wd, while my F150 is 2wd, so there is even a greater weight penalty. But, after reading about how powerful the Powerstroke is, I wanted to try one for myself, and I was disapointed that it was not, in my opinion, faster than my F150, especially because I don't consider my F150 fast by any means. Good point about the Mustang, I have a 2001 Camaro SS, a 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T (440 Magnum), and a 1969 El Camino SS396, so I know what you mean.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
My '03 F-250 SRW 4x4 CC turned 16.0 seconds flat in the 1/4 mile and 14.33 s with the Superchips Microtuner installed on High Performance tune.

I had a '98 F-150 with the 5.4 l and had a K&N filtercharger air filter and Cat-back exhaust system. Also had a Superchips chip on it.

It was in no way faster than my 6.0. Didn't accelerate as hard, wouldn't reach speeds as high climbing a test hill near my house, won't pull as much weight, and got much worse fuel mileage.

I loved the '98 F-150, but there's just no comparison.

There is one trick to keep in mind when considering off the line performance of the turbo diesel versus a normally asperated gas motor and that is that you need to build a little boost on the diesel before you launch. If you launch with no boost in the turbo, of course the truck will seem slower until the boost kicks in.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:41 PM
04-HD4U2NV
Senior User
Comparing the power of the power stroke to the speed of a 5.4 off the line - something isn't quite right there. Currently own my 3rd 5.4, had a V-10 and now have a 6.0 too, none of the 5.4's compare overall to either the V-10 or diesel, and that is an undisputable fact.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:47 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This post is going nowhere !(My truck can beat your truck )so what !
dclarkjr ,sorry to hear about your truck!
i hope your new one treats you right for what it costs!

Rich

Old 09-11-2004, 04:47 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
woops, replied to wrong topic, and can't delete my post so i'm left w/ this...

Last edited by ryaneverk2; 09-11-2004 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:18 AM
dclarkjr
New User
Smile

This post did wander quite a bit. The bottom line for the average truck owner like me is not how fast it will go, or will it smoke the tires, or how bad the other product is... but is it reliable, and is the product adequately supported by the manfacturer and the chain of servicing dealers. We each make up our minds on what truck we want based on our own tastes, and if it's a Ford, Chevy or Dodge that vehicle will be the Best truck in the world and none will compare as long as it is reliable and can be serviced timely. I don't care if the 6.0 will "smoke" the V-10, or the Dodge Cummings. I want to take my family on vacation, I don't care what the gas mileage is, and I don't care if a Chevy can get to the top of a hill 10 seconds before me. Many have told me that I will regret getting a V-10 because of the money I will loose in fuel costs. How can I put a price on my loss with this Bad diesel? It failed 4 times in 8 months, the last time 600 miles from home, I had to leave my $60,000 dollar 5th wheel camper in storage at a KOA, and the rest of my summer was ruined...I had to cancell all of my travel plans. My daughter graduated from high school this year...we were going to travel all over the country this summer...she's off to college now and I will never get that time with her back...how will I ever put a price on that, and how insignificant this makes the price of gas. It cost me $1,450 to get my camper brought home (non-reimbursable from Ford). I will have been without a vehicle that I've made payments on and paid insurance on for about 5 months before this is done. All of this misery will pay for a "bunch" of gasoline over the life of my new V-10.

Dave

Originally Posted by FortyFords
This post is going nowhere !(My truck can beat your truck )so what !
dclarkjr ,sorry to hear about your truck!
i hope your new one treats you right for what it costs!

Rich

Old 09-11-2004, 11:05 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04-HD4U2NV
Comparing the power of the power stroke to the speed of a 5.4 off the line - something isn't quite right there. Currently own my 3rd 5.4, had a V-10 and now have a 6.0 too, none of the 5.4's compare overall to either the V-10 or diesel, and that is an undisputable fact.

Not really. It is very dependant on vehicle configuration. I reall don't get twher all oy you all thing the 5.4 is such a dog. It best the old 460 in HP easily. My 5.4 has absolutley no trouble burning both of my 305 70 16's. Has never had any problem maintianing an excess of the the speed limit up any grade which I have encountered. Maybee the 6.0 is faster, as I have only had experience the the 7.3, and my truck completley whooped it.