2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have a dashboard rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 08:36 PM
makealoop
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody have a dashboard rattle?

I've got a pretty bad dash rattle that I can't pinpoint. Seems like it's below the radio at one point, then under the passenger seat at another point. May be related to water since it happened the first time after leaving a drive-thru car wash (for about 10 mins). Just drove 4 hours in the rain and it was on and off, mostly on.

Occurs at highway speed.

Fx4, one month, 1600 miles, and for those that listen to Car Talk, it's Dark Shadow Gray.

Last edited by makealoop; 09-06-2004 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 AM
04silverscrewfx4
New User
ok not sure if this applies to you........ but i was going on a long trip and i noticed a little rattle. i figured it was something in the cup holders so i cleaned it out. then i went for the change holder in the center console....cleaned that out also. no such luck. i had the a/c on and was starting to get chilly so i moved the vent in a different direction...and the noise went away. moved the vent back to where it was and sure enough the noise came back........so i would try moving your vent on the dash (either close it or change the direction of the fins) and see what happens. it worked for me. mine was the one on the left side of the radio. good luck

Old 09-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Fcal
Senior User
No rattle but i get a squeak after the dash has been sitting in the hot sun for awhile. Goes away after the inside temp cools down. I just turn up the stereo for awhile.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:04 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User
I found what I thought was a dash squeek (and sometimes a rattle) to be the black plastic window trim below the wipers. This is that big long black plastic piece with the ridges, outside of the window, just below the wipers. It was rubbing/rattling against the window. I haven't found a way to get those cheezy fasteners to hold it where it should be.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:46 PM
brendog
Freshman User
Mine squeeks like crazy - sounds like rubbing two pices of a styrofoam cooler together, or hard plastic rubbing together. It will get quite loud for a while, then quit for a while. I'm chasing it around but can't pinpoint either... Sounds like it originates real close to the winshield wipers and right in the center though.

Old 09-07-2004, 07:01 PM
slick50
Freshman User
Brendog

I get that styrofoam rubbing together sound too. But mine seems to be coming from where the passenger door meets the small door on the Supercab. Usually only hear it in the early morning or late evening when its cool.

Old 09-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Blue Blooded
Senior User
Mine only happens @ highway speed and not nearly consistently. I think I would have to agree w/ (gulp) cruel crew as to the source. Haven't had the chance to goto the dealer.Don't know if this is what you got though.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:03 PM
scottb1014
Senior User
yes, and it is really ****ing me off.

Of course, Ford cant hear it.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:09 PM
brendog
Freshman User
my 2004 supercrew has only 200 miles on it so far, and is kind of driving me nuts with the styrofoam squeek. I can't figure out if it's a hot/cold condition thing, but I do know that if I push on the dash hard with my right hand, all noise stops.

Funny coincidence is - when I test drove this truck at the dealer, the stock 6-disk stereo was dead. Sales guy says that plugging it in is part of the dealer's prep after they recieve the truck from Ford and they must have forgot. They had it working before I left with the truck. I almost wonder if the maintenance guy smashed or left something behind in there...

I'm pulling the stock 6-disc to replace with a kenwood setup this weekend, and am installing Prodigy trailer brake controller, so I plan to do some real looking around in there for the source...

Old 09-08-2004, 06:57 AM
lardman
Elder User
brendog, where exactly are you pushing?

Old 09-08-2004, 09:34 AM
brendog
Freshman User
Pushing just to the right of the steering wheel, just above the round a/c vent, right where the dash rounds over from vertical to horizontal. Seems like the dash is made from two different types of plastic, maybe it is the joint between the two that is rubbing. I still think there is some styrofoam in there.

Old 09-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
You can buy adhesive backed anti-rattle stuff from Ford or any other dealer. Or you can take little pieces of felt and tuck them into the seams to get rid of rattles. Take a Jap car dash apart and look at all the felt..it's everywhere...and no rattles.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:05 AM
lardman
Elder User
That is why I am looking...trying to find a foam block on the assembly but don't see anything. Wonder if they have a plant item to install if they are having a problem, etc.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:02 PM
brendog
Freshman User
Rattle gone. Don't really know why, but I took the radio trim panel off to put in a Kenwood reciever, put it back together carefully and tightly and rattle is gone.

With the factory 6-disc out (which is very easy to remove) there is a ton of space in there to look around at all of the dashboard joints. There are pads all over the place and I see that many rattles and squeeks could be different, but getting in there with some more adhesive foam pads to spot fix a few is a great idea...

Old 09-09-2004, 09:53 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rattle or squeek

Mine f150 started to make a noise from the tray above the radio. only at night, or when it's cooler. if you place your hand on the tray (as a passenger, of course) the sound goes away. I had thought it came from the drink holder or radio, but it's that darn tray.
Chris

250 mile on it, and so far 13 mpg. OUCH. what about the 15 mpg epa? I usually get one to three more than EPA. Not on this beast.

Quick Reply: Anybody have a dashboard rattle?