Aerostar Ford Aerostar

My Last Aerostar Mechanicing

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Last Aerostar Mechanicing

Put in a front half shaft axle in the old girl due to a failed boot after 100k on that one.
We're both old and tired. I can't get up and down from the ground well anymore. Took me at least 8 hours over 4 days, had to take breaks and only was able to handle a couple hours a day. Arthritis and age have taken their toll on both of us.
But it's in and running fine. Best car seat I've ever set in.
Just have to change the oil now.

She's setting out there parked on the street waiting for me. She smiles when I put the key in the ign. and starts perfectly ever trip.

Won't trade or sell her, she deserves better when the new rig comes. tears

Old 04-24-2013, 02:20 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cliff,
Getting older does suck....I'm beginning to find the same issues as you describe. Stick with the minor tinkering. For the serious work, find a neighborhood teenager with a budding mechanical interest and mentor him/her on how to do first rate repairs. If you find the right person who appreciates an Aerostar van you could pass it along and stay connected by giving verbal assistance on problems. Might make you feel younger again!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Aero-fan
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96_4wdr man you sound so fatalistic! Hope this doesn't mean you're leaving?? You're the most knowledgeable repository of info on this whole forum, sure would be a bummer to see you move on from Aerostarland. I guess you already have your new vehicle all picked out? If not, I'd like to make the following recommendation:

There ARE used aerostars out there that have very, very low miles. They are not always easy to find, but they do exist. I have one. I bought it 3-4 years ago with 28K miles on it in near new condition. Now it has 39K miles, and is still in extremely good shape with minimal wear and no rust whatsoever. These vehicles exist, you just have to seek them out and maybe pay a little premium for them. But even if you pay double blue book, you're still getting the vehicle for a song compared to new vehicle cost. And as you already know, most new vehicles do not have the desirable design features and capabilities of the aerostar.

I paid almost $4000 for my vehicle 3 years ago and never regretted it a bit. Even though they could be commonly had for under $2000 in pretty good shape, they almost always had well over 100,000 miles. To me the extra price for the ultra low mileage, zero rust, zero problem aerostar was WELL worth it. I haven't had to do a single thing to my van since buying it other than change trans and motor oil/filter and replace the original dry rotted 1997 tires. I spent zero hours/days/weeks/months getting under the vehicle working on this or that, no frustrating electrical troubleshooting, no back straining engine maintenance. Ok, there was that time I replaced the spark plugs and wires and that was a bit of pain. But it didn't need them, I just did it as a preventative maintenance thing. And honestly, it wasn't as bad as I had been led to believe.

I avoid driving my aero unless I really need the capabilities of a van. I anticipate it'll take me over ten years to finally crest the 100,000 mile mark. And even then, Aerostars are just getting started.

If you really do love your aerostar, my advice is to reconsider a new vehicle purchase. If the aero still works for you, then consider hunting down a rare low mileage cherry. They're still out there and comparatively speaking, can be had for a song. Your incredible knowledge base will also not be squandered and will continue to pay huge dividends in all aspects of vehicle ownership.

My $0.02, good luck with whatever road you take!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Aero-fan
Mountain Pass
Actually here's an ultra-low mileage late model/loaded Aero on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-FORD-AEROSTAR-XLT-4X4-WAGON-VAN-AUTO-CLIMATE-CONTROL-CRUISE-A-C-94-96-97-/230968749447?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35c6cf6d87
Here's another with not ultra low miles, but very clean and 100K:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Ford-Aerostar-XLT-ONE-OWNER-102K-MILES-SUPER-CLEAN-/300899188741?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item460efd4005
I don't know anything about these vehicles and am not involved with their sale. But it shows what can be found with a little patience.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:29 PM
formeat
New User
Originally Posted by Aero-fan
If you really do love your aerostar, my advice is to reconsider a new vehicle purchase. If the aero still works for you, then consider hunting down a rare low mileage cherry. They're still out there and comparatively speaking, can be had for a song. Your incredible knowledge base will also not be squandered and will continue to pay huge dividends in all aspects of vehicle ownership.
I agree. I just got done making car payments month after month on a Chevy Aveo. For what I paid monthly for a little car with no functionality short of basic transportation, I could have bought, rebuilt, and restored a couple of Aerostars -- and then driven each of them for 300,000+ miles (i.e the rest of my life).