1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

considering purchase; 91 ranger xlt 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 09:20 PM
eddiefan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considering purchase; 91 ranger xlt 4x4

The truck has 329 km, 4.0, ext. cab, auto, runs well but needs some attention. The price is $1500.

It needs a passenger side front shaft-broken at yolk at differential. Degree of difficulty for replacement anyone? Just curious that the shaft was broken on the u-joint coupler at the diff. is that an indication of severe use? As well, driver's side upper ball joint needs replacing. Difficulty?

While I was inside playing around, I noticed that the electronic switch for transfer case lights up and "sounds" into 4x4 when pressed, but doesn't make any moves or light up when the low range button is pressed. Anyone know about this? Does it possibly need to be moving or something? I placed trans. into neutral but didn't drive it at all. Is this problem a reason to avoid the purchase? Will the truck operate in 4x4 without the low range operating?

Anything else I should look for or be wary of? It has some rust above rear wheel panels, but the rest appears okay. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, Fred

Old 09-06-2004, 05:55 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hard to say without seeing it. But Id have to think you are looking at some significant work and a decent amount of cash to whip it into shape.The miles are up there, the 4x4 system is inoperative, chassis needs attention, and there are indications of hard use.

Based on the little bit that I know, I can't get excited about it.