1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Carb rebuild & new ignition for my 302

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 09:48 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Carb rebuild & new ignition for my 302

Greetings all, long time no nuthin' ! Well, it looks like Butch weathered the storm and will be staying with me, this time for good

Here's what's on the plate for Butch:

Just prior to putting him in cryogenics, I purchased (and have been holding onto for months now) a carb rebuild/tune-up kit from Summit that hopefully will cure my carburetor problem once and for all. New jets, etc and a proper dyno tune from a local guy who has the know-how and best equipment to do it right. If that doesn't settle it, I'll look at replacing the Carter with an Edelbrock carb.

I'm also getting rid of the Mallory Unilite distributor and going with an all-MSD ignition system (complete with new wires). If the combination of the two fixes doesn't "spark" (pun intended) my Butch 302 into its full potential, I don't know what else to do for her!

Also down the road, I want to have the bed stripped of that "eh" looking liner and have the bed coated professionally with Line-X (in black, of course). Anyway, just wanted to chime back in with everyone and get some feedback. I make half what I used to, so projects will come slower, but at least I'm back working and can gradually bring Butch back to life!

Cheers!
Butch n Me