Propane Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:41 PM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Propane Injection?

Alright ya'll, so I keep scratching my head about this and I can't seem to come to a conclusion one way or another. For the most part we all know sales people are useless so I need some info. Course any help would be greatly appreciated. So basically just tell me if I'm right or way off the mark on this. Since propane injection lowers the engine temperature almost 200 degrees. Would that not help prolong the life of our beloved "Stokes?" If that is the case. Then why is it that no one told me this sooner. I mean I could be getting a good deal amount more power AND prolonging engine life?? TY "Cor"

Old 07-29-2004, 07:19 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"For the most part we all know sales people are useless"

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Senseless...maybe...but I am NOT useless. I've been in sales for over 30 years.
I can do and have knowledge of many things.

If you use propane you could also have a built in BBQ in the truck bed...2 for the price of one with a little modification.

See?!

Old 07-29-2004, 07:44 PM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
F-350 BBQ Grilling!

That is an awesome answer. Plus, you actually have a very good point. I mean you have a built in tailgate party and the tank is hidden anyhow.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:51 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RealMenPowerstroke!
Alright ya'll, so I keep scratching my head about this and I can't seem to come to a conclusion one way or another. For the most part we all know sales people are useless so I need some info. Course any help would be greatly appreciated. So basically just tell me if I'm right or way off the mark on this. Since propane injection lowers the engine temperature almost 200 degrees. Would that not help prolong the life of our beloved "Stokes?" If that is the case. Then why is it that no one told me this sooner. I mean I could be getting a good deal amount more power AND prolonging engine life?? TY "Cor"
i have never been impressed with propane systems. its not much sense to me to buy tank after tank of gas when a cheap water injection system makes as much or more power, and all u gotta do is pull up to a hose and if u want even more power, just dump in a bit o methanol.....wooo hooo

and water will drop em 300+ deg, and steam clean ur engine insides for free

Old 07-29-2004, 08:00 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
That is an awesome answer. Plus, you actually have a very good point. I mean you have a built in tailgate party and the tank is hidden anyhow.
WELCOME to FTE pleae read the Guidelines and any special instruction at the top of each fourm you vist..............the enjoy

Old 07-29-2004, 08:09 PM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Water-Eisel

Originally Posted by bighoss550
i have never been impressed with propane systems. its not much sense to me to buy tank after tank of gas when a cheap water injection system makes as much or more power, and all u gotta do is pull up to a hose and if u want even more power, just dump in a bit o methanol.....wooo hooo

So I'm from Missouri. To my knowledge I've never seen anyone use a water system. First off, is it something you make, or is there actually manufacturers you can by a kit from. Also, I mean since it's water and all is there any side-effects? ty "Cor"

Old 07-29-2004, 08:48 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They ain't worth a hoot for BBQ either. That's yuppie stuff. Now if you could do mesquite injection or charcoal.......

Old 07-29-2004, 09:05 PM
powershotone
Junior User
Propane fumigation for diesel engines has been around for years. It is just been within the last few years that the power has been able to be harnessed so that the benefits , such as cleaner oil, increased fuel economy, lower EGT's and of course the power gains can be utilized by more than just racers and sled pullers. It will not lower EGT's 200 degrees, but it will lower them by 50-100 degrees. You will not run your engine as hard, to make the same amount of power, so yes, I guess you could say that would contribute to engine longevity. If you run a hill at 3/4 throttle towing as opposed to pedal down Check out the dyno sheets in my profile ( I finally found them!!! thanks John!!) I havent seen a dyno report from anyone with water injection as of yet to compare.

Water injection does lower temperatures, It has been used for many years in pulling tractors, for quick relief of the excessive temperatures. Methanol, (also not cheap) needs to be added for power gains. How much methanol used safely is still up in the air. Although I guess the windshield washer solvent is fairly harmless. ( And I thought putting propane into my engine was strange. ) The long term effects of water injection on daily driver diesels has also yet to be determined.

I wondered how much water it uses? I know you can't inject it until higher pressures, like 15 or 20 psi, but how much water would you go through on a long grade for example?

Last edited by powershotone; 07-29-2004 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:37 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by powershotone
Propane fumigation for diesel engines has been around for years. It is just been within the last few years that the power has been able to be harnessed so that the benefits , such as cleaner oil, increased fuel economy, lower EGT's and of course the power gains can be utilized by more than just racers and sled pullers. It will not lower EGT's 200 degrees, but it will lower them by 50-100 degrees. You will not run your engine as hard, to make the same amount of power, so yes, I guess you could say that would contribute to engine longevity. If you run a hill at 3/4 throttle towing as opposed to pedal down Check out the dyno sheets in my profile ( I finally found them!!! thanks John!!) I havent seen a dyno report from anyone with water injection as of yet to compare.

Water injection does lower temperatures, It has been used for many years in pulling tractors, for quick relief of the excessive temperatures. Methanol, (also not cheap) needs to be added for power gains. How much methanol used safely is still up in the air. Although I guess the windshield washer solvent is fairly harmless. ( And I thought putting propane into my engine was strange. ) The long term effects of water injection on daily driver diesels has also yet to be determined.

I wondered how much water it uses? I know you can't inject it until higher pressures, like 15 or 20 psi, but how much water would you go through on a long grade for example?
Woah Nilly...
Nice dyno chart
Can't wait for some studs and a tranny rebuild to load up on some of THAT

Old 07-29-2004, 11:27 PM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
6.0 "God" hehe

Originally Posted by powershotone

Alright so WOW, that dyno chart is just simply exciting. So what else did you do? Have you scraped your ToqueShift yet?

Old 07-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Alright so WOW, that dyno chart is just simply exciting. So what else did you do? Have you scraped your ToqueShift yet?
The experts say that the torqshift can handle 1200 Ft Lbs in an empty truck. This means this trans can handle about anything this engine can dish out until you start using bigger injectorsm cam timing, and so on,

Old 08-30-2004, 10:02 PM
hardcase
New User
propane injection plans

I guys I have 84 f250 6.9 andnI need to know if any of yous have some plans for building your own propane injection. Any help would be great.
edited by Tim L

Old 08-31-2004, 06:49 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hardcase
I guys I have 84 f250 6.9 andnI need to know if any of yous have some plans for building your own propane injection. Any help would be great.
Welcome to the site Please read the Guidelines.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:44 AM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
So I'm from Missouri. To my knowledge I've never seen anyone use a water system. First off, is it something you make, or is there actually manufacturers you can by a kit from. Also, I mean since it's water and all is there any side-effects? ty "Cor"
havent u ever been to a tractor pull????? and ur from missouri???? all the big boys run water. every one of em. ull never see propane on a track. its too unpredictable. anything flammable in a bottle with pressure is a bomb in an accident. no thanks. and a 50/50 mix in the water sys puts just as much power in as a propane system.
mine is home made and if u would like help other than the water methanol injection thread, email or pm me

Old 08-31-2004, 09:52 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Of course propane will help keep the oil much cleaner though. I'm not sure is methanol has the same effect. This seems like a good choice for both power and longevity, especially on an engine with EGR.