1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Bronco cuts off when turning left!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Roscoe1818
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Bronco cuts off when turning left!?

OK, 90, 302, 5spd. Tries to cut off when turning left. It's sporadic and feels like running out of gas, but its also immediate upon turning left so it doesnt seem like the pump going out or cavitating. Wierd huh? No smell of fuel, so i dont think its spark related (but its pretty quick, so dont know if I would get the fuel smell), checked harness in engine, seems tight. Banged on things with a screwdriver and it failed to happen. Replaced ignition switch (didnt want it to turn left, cut off, and then catch on fire!). Only code is 44 (AIR inoperable). No gauges die when it happens, nothing electrical croaks that i know of. It also seems temperature related, cold weather stops it. It happened last summer then quit in the winter, started back up this summer. I think my bronc may be posessed by Dubya!! He wants to keep me turning right! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sympathy is ok too. Laughter is acceptable, and, well, expected.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:33 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pardon whilst I snicker a bit at this one. Ok, question or two first. Does it have to be moving to have this happen or can you be in gear and crank the wheel to the left and get the same thing to happen? Second, check the connections at the TAB,TAD, IAC, and EGR solenoids. Might check the solenoids themselves...its a long shot but if one of them is sticky or is losing power all together it could be slamming shut or falling open which will confuse the heck out of the PCM. Solenoid valves, unless they have a functioning return spring inside and/or a definite power feed in the proper direction, will flop around if there is no definite power feed holding them in the proper position. The TAB and TAD solenoids, if I recall, are mounted towards the rear of the engine on the driver's side atop the fuel rail. Again, its a long shot and hard to believe that it would only happen whilst going left but, depending upon how they are mouted, if there is no power AND the internal spring is shot, turning left could be closing (or opening) one of them when it shouldn't. Turning right may force them to flop open (or closed) the direction they need to be anyway which might, possibly, maybe, a million to one odds, could be the problem. I'm even having trouble believing what I'm typing here but I've seen stranger things. Like a burned out stop lamp causing shift problems but thats another story.

Last edited by greystreak92; 09-02-2004 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Roscoe1818
Junior User
Preciate the advise. Yea, it has to be moving to do it, and the severity is determined by how hard/fast the turn is. Got another suggestion on FSB, the fuel pressure regulator. Gonna give all of it a try.

Old 09-02-2004, 12:05 PM
willjones4
New User
a friend of mine had that problem and it was something to do with his coil-dont remember specifics....

Old 09-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Roscoe1818
Junior User
OK, so it wasnt the fuel pressure regulator. It wasnt the pump relay either, but something is making the pump cut in and out because the relay gets hot. Gonna drop the tank today and see if the harness at the fuel pump is in good shape. Need to drop the tank anyway cause it leaks at the pump hole when i fill it up all the way. If it's not that, I'm at a loss again.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Roscoe1818
Junior User
Dropped the tank, sure enough, the ground at the harness had been arcing. Pump end had a nice chunk of carbonized grease on the ground pin. The harness end was melted, wallered, and generally guilty looking. We'll see, tank goes back in tomorrow with a new fuel pump cause i'm tired of dropping the tank!! Thanks for the suggestions, if this doesnt work I'll be back pleading for wisdom, patience, fortitude and possibly good insurance!!

Old 09-06-2004, 10:32 AM
Swit
Junior User

".... possessed by Dubya...", dagnabit, now I gots to clean off my good keyboard!

Okay, more from the peanut gallery.

Only cuts out in tight left turns, does it make any difference if that is at slow speeds (as in idling sorta speed for a normal un-possessed vehicle) and / or not on the stops for the left?

If the effect is immediate and consistent on the L Turn... I'd think electrical.. maybe body flex? Possibly in the steering column wiring?? If it is a matter of just how tight the turn is.. but if the speed variable is included, the lateral G might be a player.. as mentioned above.

Sorry, just thinkin out loud with brainstorm... or squall anyway. It's early.

A lousy thing for you to be wrestling, but one HECK of an interestin Mystery!!

G'Luck!!

Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Roscoe1818
Junior User
IT LIVES!! Well, sorta. Dont know if the fix worked yet casue i noticed a blown wheel wheel cylinder. Musta done it backing it off the rollback. You'll have that. Couldnt stand to take it off the stands and drive it around till I was done futzing. Swit, yea the lateral G of the turn is significant. The engine would die as the G increased, ressurect as the G decreased (because it died), and then, once reborn, would react to the subsequent acceleration by dying again. Very odd, rude, and generally funny as hmm. Except when it wasnt.