Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2004, 03:16 PM
New User

MILLHOUSEB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gas Tank Vent

I just removed ALL the pollution control stuff on my '79 crew cab with a 351m. I got rid of the air pump, egr, cat converter, vacuum lines, etc. I replaced the intake with a performer & installed a street avenger 570cfm carb. It looks so much cleaner and the truck has never run better. My question is I need to know what to do with the vent line from the gas tank. It used to go to the charcoal box that I removed that was attached to the frame. Right now the line is just open in the engine compartment. What should I do with it? Is there any fire danger? Is gas evaporating? Any ideas would be great!

Thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 07:25 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
Personally, I would reinstall the charcol canster and just hook the line to it. This will keep the fumes contained and reduce fuel evaporation.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 09-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
To install the cannister correctly there needs to be a line to the PCV valve that will draw air back thru the cannister to purge it. If you don't it will saturate with fuel vapor and drip just like the vent line will. Find the stuff you need and put the system back on.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Elder User

whalerron is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my 1973 F100, there is a hose that goes from the charcoal canister to the air cleaner housing. That setup causes the fumes to be drawn into the carb and burned.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:50 AM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
There are several types of cannisters, some use the hose to the air cleaner and others use hoses to the PCV or thru solenoid valves for more precise control.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:14 AM
Freshman User

79RangerJoel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm about to pull an old cylinder type of canister off of an older model F-150 and just connect the fuel vent to it, then run a hose to the air cleaner. That way I don't have to go through the 58 connections to 12 different places, and the engine compartment doesn't smell like gasoline all the time. Though, I guess this might be a bit difficult for you if you have a performance air cleaner on top of your new carburetor...
Old 09-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Junior User

thebarnyard13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can I jump in here? I have done about the same thing. Went from 2B to 4B carb, replaced intake manifold and ditched the emmisions on my 1979 F250 and left the line to the box. I ran this way for about 1 1/2 years. I just ordered a new gas tank with out the vent so I could get rid of the line and box all together. Is that the wrong approach?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Postmaster

73Custom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarnyard13
Can I jump in here? I have done about the same thing. Went from 2B to 4B carb, replaced intake manifold and ditched the emmisions on my 1979 F250 and left the line to the box. I ran this way for about 1 1/2 years. I just ordered a new gas tank with out the vent so I could get rid of the line and box all together. Is that the wrong approach?
That should work if you get a new gas cap. The unvented tank requires a vented gas cap.

Marty
Old 09-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Posting Legend

If you can set your truck up with a vapor recovery system it is better in the long run.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Elder User

ms_michelle has a very good reputation on FTE.ms_michelle has a very good reputation on FTE.ms_michelle has a very good reputation on FTE.
By all means put the canister back on and as it could prevent a fire, and does nothing to distract from performance.

Michelle

64 Falcon Sprint convertible, 65 Ranger, 67 N 950 D
77 F 600 Roll back, 86 LTL 9000, 99 F 250 Super Duty
07 Mustang Mach I
Old 09-02-2004, 10:17 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks