Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Yellowing/Dull Headlights

Old 12-27-2000, 07:27 PM
rjrodgers
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a cure for the yellowing, fogged over look that these Ford plastic headlights get? Figure someone has found some kinda magic polish or something. I have seen some Crown Vics and Mustangs that look really bad. My Aerostar is looking kinda dull also.

Robert
95 Aerostar Cargo Van 3.0L

Old 12-29-2000, 03:58 PM
deleontow
Laughing Gas

We have the same problem with emergency lights, and they dull very bad, there is a plasic polish for these light bars that works great on plasic head lamps.

Look up Galls, they sell all kinds of emergency equipment

Dave

http://a2ztowing.homestead.com/a2ztowing.html

Old 12-30-2000, 12:07 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those plastic headlights used on many Ford products are without a doubt one of Ford's not so bright ideas. They look great, brand new from the factory but quickly get dull, especially cars and trucks that are parked outside, and are exposed to a lot of summer sun. I'm surprised the Feds haven't done anything about that problem, it seems to me those dull, faded covers pose a safety hazard. I see beater cars and trucks with the old sealed beam halogen lights (glass) and those lights look and shine perfectly. I wish all of the car companies would just have stuck with what works. Sorry, to not have a solution for your problem, it's just one of those annoying peeves Ford could have avoided from day one.

Old 12-31-2000, 12:46 AM
dave xp
New User

Just go to your local auto supply and pick up a set of glass sylvania replacements they have sealed halogen bulbs. They should cost less than $10 each. The factory plastics belong in the trash can.

Old 12-31-2000, 12:46 PM
deleontow
Laughing Gas

the headlighhts are not normal headlamps like you find on your older car and truck, they are a composite headlamp and are not sold at local autoparts as the previous post. 92 up aerostar no longer use the regular headlamps

Dave

http://a2ztowing.homestead.com/a2ztowing.html

Old 02-02-2001, 01:44 AM
Superdave
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to give it up and replace both of them with new units from Ford . OUCH They got so bad you could not see to drive safely. I wonder if the core supports are the same from the older models where a person could use the buckets and all other related hardware to switch these back to sealed beam lights? That would have been cheaper I'm sure and a heck of alot better. These composite look neat but they are junk compared to the sealed beams.

Superdave

94 Ford Aerostar XL 3.0L
82 Ford F250 4x4 XLT,400 CID,C-6 A/T,8700lb GVWR. Black & Silver

Old 02-04-2001, 08:50 PM
just_some_guy
New User

On my 96, I got tired of the lousy light output from the composite lights, even with brighter bulbs, so I retrofitted the old sealed beams. You can still get the pre-92 headlamp buckets and all the hardware straight from the dealer.

My local dealer ordered the parts for me, got them in 2 days. None of the junkyards here had any left, I guess all the Aerostars were picked clean.

Total cost for me was just under $100, using all Ford parts, and the adjusting screws, buckets, and retaining rings fit perfectly.
The retaining rings have a black plastic shield around them, so they don't look too bad. There is a little extra room around the lights, but not that noticable. If it bothered me that much, I'd just go ahead and get the pre-92 parking lamp assemblies as well, as they fit snug around the headlights.

The extra light output is well worth it, wish I'd done this a few years ago. I've never been very happy with the composites.
Next, I'll get a set of Hella lights to replace the sealed beams.

Old 02-17-2001, 08:33 AM
Motorcraftsman
Senior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 17-Feb-01 AT 09:35 AM (EST)[/font][p]ford switch to these headlights for a few simple reasons, aerodynamics and light weight, and they dont break as easy as glass, i believe the material they are made of is a brand of plastic called lexan(Many companies use it). i dont like them myself.
i see alot of old tauruses with these yellowed out lights,and mustangs. my dads 92 f150 is starting to yellow out. very crappy.

John Floyd
South Mills,NC
'86 F150 2wd 300 6
Crane Cam 260/272
stock manifolds, w/ staight pipe

Old 02-21-2001, 11:06 AM
cfp12
Junior User

Try Meguiar's #17 plastic cleaner followed up with #10 polish.
They will look just like new! Under $6 a bottle.Great stuff!!
You'll be very pleased.

Old 03-13-2001, 02:28 PM
kwulf
New User

Another option is toothpaste and brush. Before you laugh, try it. I actually works half decent. I had previously done this to my 90 Taurus. Luckily my 93 Ranger and 96 Aerostar dont require this yet.

Old 08-03-2002, 03:24 PM
RTKG
New User

>Try Meguiar's #17 plastic cleaner followed up with #10
>polish. They will look just like new! Under $6 a bottle.
>Great stuff!!
>You'll be very pleased.

I tried your suggestion with the cleaner and polish on my 94 Ranger's headlights, and it worked great! Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-04-2002, 07:57 AM
Lscman
Freshman User

Plastic headlights buff/rub out just like old paint. It'll take about 30 minutes of your time every 5 years. If they're real nasty, use 1500 grit or similar very fine wet sandpaper. Then use rubbing/polishing compound followed by wax. They will look like new.

Old 09-14-2002, 12:03 AM
AEROSTARS FOR ALL23
New User

' you can also go to wal mart and buy the squeeze bottle of color back.. red container.. Megiuars as well. rub paste on. wipe.. do this until your headlights gleam.. they will be so much brighter,, it is unreal. total cost.. 6.00 ..

Old 09-14-2002, 09:24 PM
myvan
Junior User

$3 tub of Turtle Waxes Rubbing Compound and some elbow grease. 10 minutes later they look like new!

Old 09-15-2002, 10:34 PM
Paddy D
Freshman User

OK all this is good but I cant figure out how to get the lens off w/o messsing anything up. I'm sure this is simple but someone please tell me.

93'Aerostar XLT. Intake, cherrybomb glasspack, dual 3" tip, K&N drop in, Super white blikers, fog lights, and headlights, Street Glow kit under it, mutiple neons inside, 1st van in Alababma Custom truck club, oh yeah i run a 10.5 1/8 and mid 15's on my 1/4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yellowing/Dull Headlights