Sponsored by:

Lemon Law

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 07:49 AM
gameboynws
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemon Law

What are the requirements for claiming a truck is a lemon. I think my X is a lemon or a VERY sour orange.

2003 X with 6.0L diesel

engine has required more that three warrentee repairs and now A/C is going to have to go in for the third time for repairs.

Old 08-31-2004, 07:52 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First - what type of repairs... and in what time frame...
if we're talking 3 "adjustments" in a year to make it better... that seems like very little to me IMHO...
if we're talking 3 major repairs in the first week... NOW you're talkign a real bother

but depends on your states laws...
MOST limitations are:
1 visit for a safety related itme if not repaired...
3 visits for the same item...
or 30 days out of service within the first year or 12K miles....

but each state is different....

you might try another dealer -
sometimes (too many) it's the less than certified tech that is learning on your truck...

but typing lemon law in google gives me this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=lemon...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 08-31-2004 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:10 AM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
If you Lemon law is written like Kansas's don't waste your time - written by dealers for dealers. To be honest three warranty repairs doesn't sound all that excessive.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:24 AM
jeb
Elder User
Here's a good website to get you started. Most states pretty much require you to go through the Dispute Settlement Board (DSB) process first, though. See the back of your owners manual for that. I had my 03 EX 6.0PSD bought back through the DSB process about 6 weeks ago so it does work.

Best of luck with it. I know how frustrating it can be to have a truck you can't depend on.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:54 PM
gameboynws
Senior User
hay thanks for the help,

I have had the truck in for three repairs on the engine, lovely 6.0L diesel & A/C broke again and this would make it the third time as well.

But I think the killer for me is that my truck is about a 1.5 yrs old and has 45k on the odometer.

Love the truck!!!! Just wish it would quit breaking.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:57 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure I understand...
are you saying it is the trucks fault it has 45k on the odometer ?!?
Must have not been out of service for long or you take LONG trips to put 45K in 1.5 years....

and
WHAT ENGINE REPAIRS ?
WHAT was wrong with A/C ?

Old 08-31-2004, 10:17 PM
manglass
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't remember the time and mileage limitations of NJ (is that the state it's registered in?) but I think you're beyond them. IIRC, you must also notify the manufacturer and give them a final repair attempt by their representative or under their supervision. If the vehicle has been repaired it no longer qualifies. Sorry, that's as much as I remember about NJ lemon law, it's been a while. Check the State website for specific information. It must be registered in the state you apply for lemon law, commercial vehicles are usually exempt. If the manufacturer has a dispute resolution program it's best to start there.

Lou

Old 09-01-2004, 07:55 AM
jeb
Elder User
Yeah, with that many miles, you're probably hosed as far as DSB deal. Same with LL, most likely, but check the details on your state at the link above.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:30 AM
kn4n
Freshman User
Originally Posted by gameboynws
What are the requirements for claiming a truck is a lemon. I think my X is a lemon or a VERY sour orange.

2003 X with 6.0L diesel

engine has required more that three warrentee repairs and now A/C is going to have to go in for the third time for repairs.
see www.autopedia.com

Old 09-06-2004, 06:32 AM
kn4n
Freshman User
Originally Posted by kn4n
My excursion has been in 3 times in 3 weeks with 2499 miles on it. I am going thru DSB (look in your book for details) and request a buy back, in that way it will not go on record to ford as a lemon.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:21 AM
daimon1054
Posting Guru
You can look up your states laws on the net just dig around.
InLouisiana the laws are pretty good for the owner but the repairs have to be for the same thing or just a bunch of them. If you go in 3 time for the same thing or it will take more than 90 days here then it is a lemon. It gets less clear for multiple repairs for different things. Bottom line is that most states will make the MFG pay all lawyers fees and court cost is any part of the claim is in your favor. So if you really feel you have a problem then get a lawyer.

Old 09-08-2004, 01:34 PM
ladyraven
New User
Sorry to hear your troubles but I can relate...in the short version-

I have a 2003 4x4 Limited 6L PS also. This month will be 1 year that I owned it (bought new) and I have just gotten Ford to offer a buy back. Mine had spent around 52 or 53 days (I quit counting) in the shop since my problems started on X-mas Eve 03.

You are in for a long haul. I could not get my dealer to even arrange a call or meeting with the area factory rep. I will tell you the only way to get a response from Ford is to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau against FORD and send them a certified letter of intent to file with your states Consumer Protection Agency IF you meet your states lemon law requirements. The Despute Settlement Board (DSB) did nothing but send fliers. Ford will be required to send a response to the BBB within 30 days of filing. File online it only takes minutes and you need no paper work.

I was just offered a replacement letter wich was a standard form letter. They will send this to you if you meet your states lemon law requirements. They do not want this listed as a lemon because it will become a statistic that never goes away and they can re-sell a buy back as long as it is not a safety issue. DO NOT settle for the standard buyback offer because you can get more from them.

I will be ordering my new 2005 this week.

Some of the issues I have had....

1) Engine would not crank- plugged oil line 2 days after dealer changed the oil for the first time.

2) A/C not working- lines were rubbing and wore through had to replace lines there is a kit that reroutes the lines.

3) Check Engine light- bad turbo code. replaced the turbo and turbo control module

4) Check Engne light- bad turbo code again. looks like turbo is working "must be a software issue" told to just drive it with light on. It now comes on and off intermittently.

5) CD player ate it self- rebuilt

6) Exhaust leak- pipe between engine and turbo replaced