Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Powerstroke sales

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 02:42 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerstroke sales

I found the corrected sales numbers. http://www.internationaldelivers.com...ail.asp?id=433

Old 08-30-2004, 03:05 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As of October 2002 2 million engines were produced. Thats quite a feat really. When the superduty style of trucks came out 1 million were produced in 3 years vs 5 years for the first 1 million. Thats a testament to the popularity of the SD truck. Long live the superduty and powerstroke.

Old 08-30-2004, 05:09 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
If you read real close. Technically it was 800k in 3 years. It seems that they make between 250 and 300k a year. Depending on how strong sales are. Since a little less than two years has passed since it was written. I would est. that the another 500k engines have been produced.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 08-30-2004 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:18 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Hmmm, didn't we have a debate about that in another thread? Thanks for backing up my numbers.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Yes and you were mistaken.

If you remember john. I pointed out that international had added some engines that werent used in the Ford trucks. This you disagreed with. I pointed out that the actual number of Ford PSD would be closer to 2.25 million. Not the 2.5 million they claimed. Not that it matters. You stated that none of the 2 million engines were used in buses and I disagreed. Now if you read the link. You will see that I stated the truth as I knew it. They did count bus engines. Then I said this was not totally fair because cummins has made several million 5.9s also. Just that only 1 of those million went into the dodge.

Ford outsells dodge. Had to get that out of the way. Im not disputing that. Cause its a fact.

So to be accurate. There were about 1.8 million 7.3 PSD put into ford trucks. It makes no difference. Just wanted to point out the discrepency. We should have about half a million 6.0s running down the road by now.

The International® T 444E diesel used in International-made medium-duty trucks and school buses rounds out the two million units.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 09-06-2004 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:14 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
The numbers are correct. There were more than just PSDs in the 2 million number. I read the article. They counted the engines that went in buses and medium duty trucks.
True, but those are the total PSDs, not the total of PSD + T444E engines. That's why the PSD comes out way ahead of the Cummins.

If you go by that logic then the T444E engines should also be counted, and that number is WAY above 2 million engines. The statistics I quoted are for PSDs sold by Ford and Cummins sold by Dodge. Ford is still way ahead.
I found this on that thread. You are saying ford sold the entire 2 million. Just wanted to make the distinctions. One says t444e on the emission tag and the other says t444p. They are essentially the same. The one ford uses has the P. P stands for powerstroke? Some of these t444es they counted were made prior to the introduction of the Powerstroke diesel. They were IDI.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 09-06-2004 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:28 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
OK, point taken. It's still an impressive feat. Even more impressive, as of the date of this article 98.9% were still on the road.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:08 AM
benwantland
Elder User
That link talks about the "2 millionth V8 diesel", referencing just powerstrokes and medium-duty apps of the 444, but didn't international also make the old 6.9? Which was also a v8 diesel....

Old 09-06-2004, 06:13 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
It does say that, but it's obviously in reference only to the T444E and 7.3 PSD. International also made the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI. If they only made 2 million V8 diesels that would mean, since they say 1.8 million are PSDs, that there were only 200K T444E, 6.9, and 7.3 IDI engines produced which would obviously be way off.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:25 AM
benwantland
Elder User
Yeah, I caught on that they're just talking about the t444 and 7.3, it just doesn't make sense to say that it's the 2 millionth v8 diesel, when in fact, they were producing v8 diesels before they started counting the PSDs...

wait, wait:
International Truck and Engine Corporation produced its two millionth V-8 diesel engine at the company’s Indianapolis Engine Plant on August 18
Did they produce the IDI engines somewhere other than the Indy plant, by chance? Then the statement would be accurate.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:47 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
You need to also consider that in the early 80s. 10,000 units a year was a lot of diesels. Dodge had expected to sell 8000 diesels in 89 when they were introduced. Medium duty trucks are a very small percentage of sales. I think ford sells about 5000 to 8000 f650s and 750s a year. Its not a big number. Nowadays you can sell a quarter million diesels in one year and its not a big deal. In the 80s it just didnt happen.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 09-06-2004 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:10 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heres some food for thought. Back in mid 94 when Ford come out with the powerstroke 7.3 that was huge. It istantly put Ford on top of the diesel wars and sales. It left GM in the dust as faras power and longevity go. It would take GM 7 years to counteract with something. To the point that they were selling very few of there diesels in the last few years. Dodge had there cummins but Ford really owned the market for that time period. Ford still outsells Dodgeand GM together as far as diesels are concerned. Except for Fords early problems with the 6.o. Fords reputation in diesels has been pretty stellar.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:25 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by 150ford
Heres some food for thought. Back in mid 94 when Ford come out with the powerstroke 7.3 that was huge. It istantly put Ford on top of the diesel wars and sales. It left GM in the dust as faras power and longevity go. It would take GM 7 years to counteract with something. To the point that they were selling very few of there diesels in the last few years. Dodge had there cummins but Ford really owned the market for that time period. Ford still outsells Dodgeand GM together as far as diesels are concerned. Except for Fords early problems with the 6.o. Fords reputation in diesels has been pretty stellar.

When Ford came out with the "powerstroke" in '94, the reason they outsold Dodge is 1.) Dodge had just gotten rid of their extremely ugly '70s looking body style and had just started the "new Dodge" campaign and 2.) the Cummins was still detuned to less than 200 HP and less than 500 lb./ft. of torque.

The fact is though, that even at that time the Cummins diesel would outlast the PSD. The Dodge truck was still a bit unreliable and Dodge was just starting to get back on their feet, so they didn't sell nearly as many.

Today, Dodge is #2 in heavy duty pickups. I think it's quite amazing that Ford continues to be #1 despite the horrible launch they had with the 6.0 PSD. That proves Ford's brand name dominance because you can actually get a better work truck with the Dodge, but Ford still continues to sell more.

Old 09-06-2004, 12:25 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WXboy
the Cummins was still detuned to less than 200 HP and less than 500 lb./ft. of torque.

The fact is though, that even at that time the Cummins diesel would outlast the PSD.
The Cummins continued to be "detuned" until the 555 ft/lb version.

It is not a fact that the Cummins outlasts the PSD. As the article said, 98.9% of all PSDs produced are still on the road, not to mention countless IDIs as proven by owners on this website and others.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
As the article said, 98.9% of all PSDs produced are still on the road, not to mention countless IDIs as proven by owners on this website and others.
95% of all Duramaxes are still on the road too.
The rest made it home

Quick Reply: Powerstroke sales