Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.
View Poll Results: Which gives more torque to the wheels at tow-start PSD/Torqshift or Cummins/Manual?
The calculcations are reasonable. Yes, the PSD gives more.
63.77%
No, despite the math, I just feel in my heart that the Cummins/manual give more.
33.33%
I'm a rabid dodge-fan trolling the FTE forum. Cummins, and I don't care about the math.
2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Who starts a tow w/ more torque: PSD or Cummins?

Old 09-08-2004, 07:13 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 327 Likes on 198 Posts
Yeah, the 6-speed manual mated to that Cummins is way better to tow with. Manual trannys stay cooler, therefore last longer. They are easier to maintain. They are cheaper. They don't absorb as much power through the drivetrain. They give you WAY more control. They get better fuel economy. I still say the NV5600 will last longer than the Torqshift. And on top of that they are just plain fun to drive...esp. with the diesel engine.

Despite that, Ford keeps putting all it's eggs in the automatic tranny basket. And these guys on here think the Torqshift is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think what it amounts to is the Ford marketing idea is to appeal to the lazy folks that just don't want to shift. Oh well. To each his own, right? Our work truck is a manual. Our last work truck (PSD) was a manual. And if Ford offered a decent manual in the Ranger that's what I'd have on my personal vehicle too. I just don't really care for the "slushboxes" when it comes to doing work.

Last edited by WXboy; 09-08-2004 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:27 PM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WXboy
Yeah, the 6-speed manual mated to that Cummins is way better to tow with. Manual trannys stay cooler, therefore last longer. They are easier to maintain. They are cheaper. They don't absorb as much power through the drivetrain. They give you WAY more control. They get better fuel economy. I still say the NV5600 will last longer than the Torqshift. And on top of that they are just plain fun to drive...esp. with the diesel engine.
Yes my good man you are right. I don't dispute the Torqshift is an immeasurably better transmission, but I personally hate autos. I don't care how advanced they are. If you are going 45 mph and floor it, it always jams down a gear(with diesels its not as bad because you don't have to floor it). I don't like the way this feels so I feather the gas to try to keep it in the gear it iss in but it usually does it anyway. I like to be able to control what gear I am in in situations like this and just like the overall feel of the clutch and being able to switch gears when YOU want. I admit stop and go towing feels better with an auto but I'm not stop and go towing 24/7/365.

Manuals are the way and the light but people on here don't see that because they insist on making it to the top of the hill 10 seconds faster. Maybe it's just the poor choices people are given. You can get the PSD with a poorly matched manual or a Cummins with a poorly matched auto. So the PSD rules on the automatic tranny front while the Cummins rules the manual side of things. Even still 50% of Dodge Ram Cummins are sold with an auto.

"the new 2003 Ford Super Duty appeal is the all-new TorqShift 5-speed automatic transmission. Automatics are becoming the #1 choice of pickup truck drivers. Ford Super Duty owners are buying 90% automatic transmissions verses closer to 50% of the Dodge diesel owners."
http://horsecity.com/stories/111502/...eview_KS.shtml

Old 09-09-2004, 05:46 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Truck Man 04
a manual is better for towing,

but if your the kind that can't drive unless you just have to press on the gas and go. then a manual is not for you.
Not true.....

and not fare to say....

Old 09-09-2004, 04:45 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I personally think it is because of marketing (and laziness) that Autos are more popular.
Autos are faster, when it comes to the numbers, but of more importance to me is that manuals feel faster (better in gear acceleration due to minimal driveline loss), and I get complete control over the vehicle.

I know a 6.0l auto will be a damn side quicker than my truck, but I just can't wipe the smile of my face, when going up a reasonable incline, with a 10000lb trailer, in 3rd gear, I put my foot down, the engine growls, the turbo starts spinning, and the truck just keeps on pulling like no tomorrow.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:40 PM
ga302p
Elder User
The auto tranny is over rated. If it were such an efficient device, you would see more of them in over the road tractors than you see. You dont even see very many of them in 10 wheelers. You dont see very many of them in race cars. You see a few in street classes, but when is the last time you saw an auto in a pro race class? If they are the epitomy of efficiency, you would think they would dominate in the areas efficiency is of utmost importance. The correctly matched manual tranny will outperform the auto. The problem we see in pick up trucks is that the manufacturers assume that the buyers are incompetents who cant drive and put 5 or 6 speed transmissions in trucks that should have 9 speed trannies. I would love a 9 speed. Use 3 Gears empty and all 9 fully loaded. An auto tranny couldn't do much with the 9 speed if both were grossly overloaded.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:52 PM
PowerStroke King
Senior User
You may not be aware: The torqshift transmission locks up it's gears in various ways according to shifting logic. Thus, you have all the advantages of automatic ... combined with the advantages of locked-gears. They more correctly match the engine than a manual transmission can, and finally, as a matter of fact, are faster and capable of more work.

For a long time, horses-and-buggies remained alongside cars on the road. And probably, for a long time to come, manual transmissions will still be found alongside state-of-the-art CVT and electronically controlled transmissions.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:03 PM
ga302p
Elder User
I am very much aware of that fact. It is a variant of the technology Allison has used for several years. The fact still remains this type transmission has not succeeded in making a dent in the market monopoly the manual has in the O.T.R. industry. If it indeed outperformed the manual, you would see it in raceing, and over the road applications. There are still factors of frictional power loss and heat generation that are inherrent to any current design of automatic tranny. One reason you do not see it is compared to the manual, the automatic is prone to mechanical failure.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:42 PM
PowerStroke King
Senior User
Racing. Automatic transmissions with low-stall torque converters are very predominant in racing. In fact, if you do a little research, you will find your assertions about autos to be, for the most degree, false.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:17 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ga302p, when are you going to see that these are not OTR trucks, and what works for them doesn't necessarily work in an F-350. The reason they don't have automatics are beacsue of the heat and the weight that an automatic has, not because manuals are so much better.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Ford Truck Man 04
Junior User
Face it everyone Manuals are better for towing, autos make more heat then manuals and even more heat then that when towing. if your are going to tow, manuals are the best. but like I said, if you can't drive unless you can just press the gas and go don't get a manual. autos are for the lazy kind. manuals are for the kind that want somthing that will last. if you like autos that fine, but I am telling you they are not better then a manual for towing.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:55 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
ga302p, the reason you don't see that many autos in commercial trucks is due more to the size of the transmission. Building an automatic transmission with more than 10 gears would be very costly.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:32 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PowerStroke King
You may not be aware: The torqshift transmission locks up it's gears in various ways according to shifting logic. Thus, you have all the advantages of automatic ... combined with the advantages of locked-gears. They more correctly match the engine than a manual transmission can, and finally, as a matter of fact, are faster and capable of more work.
Although they are rated the same. Assuming an auto is less efficient than a manual. How can it be capable of more work if its wasting some of that torque? They are faster. But as I have pointed out over and over. Faster is Less. Unless it makes more hp. In this case that is just not happening.

How is it possible for an auto to MORE CORRECTLY match? I would like the long explanation on that one. Because it can lock up like a manual or be just as wasteful as an auto? Best of both worlds. Not. Only at highway speeds or while decelerating in tow haul mode does it lock up. In all other conditions it is wasting torque. Not too mention even in lockup some torque will be expended just because of the fact that is a hydraulic pump. Something has to power the pump.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:34 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
ga302p, the reason you don't see that many autos in commercial trucks is due more to the size of the transmission. Building an automatic transmission with more than 10 gears would be very costly.
But if it can more correctly match the engine. You would only need a 5 speed.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:35 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Racing. Automatic transmissions with low-stall torque converters are very predominant in racing. In fact, if you do a little research, you will find your assertions about autos to be, for the most degree, false.
Why low stall? Because there is very little hp available. Making it better for racing.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:57 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru

For a long time, horses-and-buggies remained alongside cars on the road. And probably, for a long time to come, manual transmissions will still be found alongside state-of-the-art CVT and electronically controlled transmissions.

I think the torqueshift 5 speed auto actually has 6 forward gears but only uses 5. Has something to do with how drive which gear confiq it actually uses... Read that on here someplace - I could be wrong

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who starts a tow w/ more torque: PSD or Cummins?