Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

tuneing my 390 & tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 10:17 PM
fordloverf2501970
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuneing my 390 & tranny questions

anybody here any good at setting up a 390 ? i have it timed at 6, but it seems to lack the punch if you know what i mean. i am no stranger to working on cars but i am no expert at setups. the carb which is new came off my 360, do i need to rejet it for the 390 or change some of the settings ? i know nothing of this. i could use someone who be willing to get hands on with my 390 and help me get it running smooth. and on another note, my kick down lever seems to want to stay in the down postion, it wont spring back up. i called dougs and he said something about the clip coming off. is this an easy thing to put back togather ? other then that the tranny is fine besides the fact that it needs the gasket replaced and seems to be leaking out the rear. is this seal easy to change, i have a short shaft bolt on shaft.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:04 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would guess that you need a little more flow on the carb to start with. Is the mechaniocal advance working right? id you put in a higher performance cam? All things to thionk about. Also, did you go through the carb/ it may need the accelerator pump replaced, or at least change the position on the cam to give her more squirt. I'm nop expert, but it may be doable to come over and give a hand, never know, fresh hands and mind may find the problem. As for the trans, if there's no spring back at the trans, it will require the pan to be taken off to work on it. Taking the tail off is no different than doing a th400 with a bolt on yoke.

Old 08-28-2004, 12:08 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would come help you but that is a long drive on a weekend unless you want to get up at 2-3am when I am coming through the area during the week, I am usually pretty good a getting things running right. but first off I would like to see a little more timing in that like around 8-9 but also check that the advance is working, and what is your total advance.
Next which carb are you running as I remember without looking you still have the 2bbl on that right? if it is the stock one from the 360 it's too small that is like 450cfm, you need atleast 525, and yes you will need to rejet it some.
The tail shaft problem is not a problem remove the drive shaft unbolt the yoke and take the bolts out for the tailshaft it comes right out, drive the seal out, and I would also look it should have a bushing in there, replace that also most times when they start leaking it is because that bushing has worn and allows the shaft to wobble just a slight amount which takes out the seal, also when puttingit back on I don't use the gasket most times (started doing this when I had trouble getting the gaskets from the adapter to transfer case) when I worked for GM we used an anarobic sealer, but on the race truck I have been using blue rtv silicon, and it doesn't leak.

Old 08-28-2004, 12:44 PM
fordloverf2501970
Elder User
you forgot monster i am a truck driver too, at 2 am i am either on my way to chicago or to saint louis lol. the carb is still new, about 4 months old but it was the stock one for the 360. like i said carbs i know zero about maybe when i get down to bring back that hoist you can glance at it and help out a bit. like i said it runs but doesnt have any punch. not that i am xpecting a big one but just some. i know your in chairton and that is a pretty far drive, wouldnt want to put anyone out that much, fellro is just south of me so that be the best bet. i am sure i can handle pulling the pan off the tranny, i need to do that nyway to get it to stop leaking. i am pretty sure the mech advance is working, i just replaced that vac thing on the dizzy and while timing it i watched as it moved when i reved it up so i assume that is working. hopefully i get down there next weekend and you have the time to help, we will see

Old 08-28-2004, 01:04 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll want to call ahead or yahoo me, to be sure I am here, got to pick up the kids next wekend, but Sat shouldn't be a prob. my old 390(4bbl of course) would smoke the tires on demand on my 75 w/4.10 and one HEAVY bumper, that thing was solid rectangel bars. It was made to add weight for a pulling truck. The truck had been rearended in Iowa City before I got it. Little Geo Storm plowed it from behind, right into the solid bumper. Cop asked him if he had any damage, he replied, yeah, she put a hole in my license plate!! Her car was totalled. (hows that for straying off the subject!!) Anyway, I would expect it to get with the program, even 2 bbl.

Old 08-28-2004, 01:27 PM
fordloverf2501970
Elder User
yeah mine wont even turn the rears unless i am going backwards or turning a corner. something isnt right thats for sure. i am pretty sure i got 3.73's. i thinking your thoughts about that 2b are right on. hopefully sat we can get togather