Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2004, 05:18 PM
New User

CarbonZTT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hesitation in 02 Harley at WOT

Hey guys I'm a newb on the site and did a little searching before i posted but couldn't come up with the answer. I bought the truck from a dealership in NJ about 2 weeks ago and have had a few probs with it. The guy who had it before me did some ghetto install hack jobs. The wiring is all messed up, the guy had neons inside and out which have since been ripped out by me as soon as I got the truck, and the HID's he had in it don't fully work.

All that adds to my concern about the hesitation. I have an autometer boost gauge and at WOT it reads 14psi, but the truck hesitates a lot, and the power keeps coming in and out. At 95% throttle and about 11psi its fine. Any ideas? I took it to the delaer and they said they didn't work on superchargers lol. So I'm taking it back to NJ toamrow to sort out the HID lighting issue, and I'm also going to bring up the hesitation probs. Also what is the stock boost level set at? Any help would be great, just so i can have something to go off when I speak to the dealer tomarow.

TIA
Nick
Old 08-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Senior User

mitch5170 is starting off with a positive reputation.
stock boost should be around 6-7 psi, sounds like yours has a aftermarket 6 or 8# pulley....which is fine if your tune is good, if you hear any pinging, get it tuned! pinging is bad...real bad!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:49 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch5170
stock boost should be around 6-7 psi, sounds like yours has a aftermarket 6 or 8# pulley....which is fine if your tune is good, if you hear any pinging, get it tuned! pinging is bad...real bad!
Its not detonating, or pinging, at least I can't hear it if it is. Is there anyway to tell which pulley it may be. The 6 and the 8 are both lower pulleys correct? Any other ideas of what it could be short of getting it tuned? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Measure the diameter of the pulleys and put the numbers here, I'll let you know the lbs they are.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Senior User

mitch5170 is starting off with a positive reputation.
you can measure the diameter of the lower pulley, and compare it to the website that sell pullies.

The tune...meaning to modify the a/f and timing numbers by way of a custom chip or programmer.

Might be plugs, but it would probably run rough at all rpm's not just wot.

maybe others will chime in with some ideas?
Old 08-27-2004, 11:40 PM
New User

Thanks guys. I'll check out the pulley tomorrow and see if I can figure out which one it is.

Also I doubt my plugs are the cause of the hesitation, I've had faulty plugs before and never had results quite like this. Hopefully the dealer will be able to sort it out tomorrow. Once again thanks
Old 10-15-2004, 05:51 AM
Junior User

DirtyDiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
more than likely its your "tune". i just did a 2.8 upper and 4lb lower with diablo predator and cold air and mine pulls hard all the way to 5600rpm.

20 mpg highway
16 mpg city

MORE TO COM
Old 10-15-2004, 06:59 AM
Senior User

yysenhimer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know if you got this figured out yet. Since you're in NJ, take it to JDM in Freehold. They have some good mechanics over there and they specialize in Lightnings. No doubt they will be able to figure out the problems and even dyno tune it for you.

They ain't cheap though.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel
more than likely its your "tune". i just did a 2.8 upper and 4lb lower with diablo predator and cold air and mine pulls hard all the way to 5600rpm.
Have you checked your air/fuel ratio? The 2.8 + 4 is really pushing the limits of the 6lb tune on the Predator. Just to be safe I'd get the A/F ratio checked on a dyno if I were you.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:23 PM
New User

Ford HD is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an 02 Harley with #8 lb. pulley, the tune to go with it and a few other extras. I burnt the tip off of a plug at 140 mph. The truck idled fine, accelarated ok, except under wide open throttle. I know it's a job, but I would check the plugs. I found the bad one on mine, it was the last one I checked.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:23 PM