Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

Look out Indiana!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 02:58 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Look out Indiana!!!!

Look out Guys, and Gals.. Theo is in town..

I have just become a resident of Winamac, Indiana!! Bought me a nice little house, on a couple of acres, subject to the usual inspections and financing stipulations.

So, what exciting things are there to do here??

Also, what is a Hoosier?

Theo

Old 08-27-2004, 07:34 AM
snowfighter
Elder User
Welcome to Indiana,The 4x4 jamboree is fun, The Speedway is also fun. I do not know the meaning of Hoosier.We are planning a meet and greet at the truck show. Nice trucks in your gallery.
Thanks Wayne

Last edited by snow fighter; 08-27-2004 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:09 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Legend has it that friendly porch-sitters would greet approaching folks with, "Who's there?" Of course, spoken through bad teeth and a mouthful of chaw, one could see where "Hoosier" originated. This is by far the most common explanation I have heard in the 17+ years I have lived in Indiana.

Welcome to the Hoosier State!

You could always go to Indiana Beach (in Monticello, about an hour south of you). Slogan: "There's more than corn in Indiana!" (I have no commercial affiliation). Chicago's not too far from you (all kinds of stuff to do there), and you just missed it, but there's always the State Fair in mid-August in Indianapolis. There's also the Governor's Cup Regatta (hydroplane races) around the 4th in Madison every year. The Indy 500 and Brickyard 400 also take place in this state...

Jason

Last edited by jroehl; 08-27-2004 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:07 AM
theologian
Postmaster
Thank you for the info, and the explanation.. sounds good. I did a lightening tour of the area over last weekend through Tuesday, and liked what I saw... There are a lot of small towns there.. more'n I am used to seeing. I try to avoid Chicago - too many people going the other way, when I walk, and too many people going the same way when I drive..

Hydroplane races sound fun.. Meet and greets are always good fun. I look forward to doing things and meeting folk.

Theo

Old 08-31-2004, 11:40 AM
Loganwildman
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What the heck brought you to Winamac? There's not alot to draw you to that town! . I live in Logansport, which is about 25 min South of you on 35. Indiana beach is a fun day activity, not nearly as big as Kings island or Six flags, but still fun.

As for the Hoosier thing, I've lived here almost all of my 39 years, and the best explaination I've ever heard is that it is a rolling slurs for Who's your..... like hey who's your girlfriend, or who's your neighbor. The south is known for slurs like younto (you want to) and y'all (you all), Indiana has "Hoosier"

Old 08-31-2004, 02:03 PM
theologian
Postmaster
That explanation sounds good too..

What brought me to Winemac??

Well.. It became neccessary for Sliknspeedy and I to relocate to the region, as our other family member got herself a transfer to Chicago. Now Chicago is very gun unfriendly, very crowded, and downright dangerous at times, so we didn't want to live there, so we literally stuck a pin in Hammond, IN on the map, and circled an area within 3 hours... Then, we went online, to realtor type sites, and entered the counties our circle crossed.. Polaski was one of them, so we looked at a bunch of houses that cost next to nothing (fed up of having a 200K mortgage) and got very depressed looking at cheap houses.. (they are cheap for VERY good reasons. Why does somebody try to sell a rotten house, with human excrement in it??? and a flooded basement??? YUK.

Anyhows, we got depressed, and I decided to go see one more house, that Slik had found and called the hobbit hole. (it is built into a bank) We got there, and it looked ok from the outside, and called the realtor, who said we couldn't see it until later in the week, but he would call anyway. He called and the owner didn't want to show it, because they were at a reunion, and the house was a mess, but the realtor convinced 'em. We went in, half an hour later, and looked around for a while. It didn't smell, there was no dampness, leaks or excrement anywhere, and it was cheaper than most of the others we had seen.

So, I ummed and awwed for a moment, and then decided to ask Slik, who decided she liked the place... That was the deciding factor......... I made an offer, subject to the usual inspection, survey and finance stipulations and requirements, and it was accepted that evening.

So, I arrived in Winamac entirely by chance. I applied for a loan, to buy the place and got the very best rate the broker had ever seen for that kind of loan.. (I have really good credit, apparently - that in it'self scares the living daylights out of me)

I get to fill out the neccessary paperwork tonight...... fax it in tomorrow, and await the closing date arrangement. It will probably be within the next two weeks, but I will be in Indiana from the end of next week, I think - without any intenet for a while, again...

I need to look into satellite systems.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:47 AM
Superdave
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Also, what is a Hoosier?"

Theo

Take your pick.

http://www.netstate.com/states/intro/in_intro.htm

http://www.statelib.lib.in.us/www/ih...s/hoosier.html

Last edited by Superdave; 09-09-2004 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:44 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah Theo, i was going to ask when you were going to be in Indiana next. I guess it is kind of permanent now. You seem like an interesting guy and was going to ask you and Slik over to supper one night here is Lafayette. We've got some decent food here in town. Let me know if you guys are interested.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:42 AM
theologian
Postmaster
We were supposed to be in Indiana this week, but other things kept me in my office here in Tennessee. However, when the house is closed upon, and we are installed there, I would be very happy to come visit. I am a really friendly guy, and like to visit folk, but if you are a strange person who dislikes weaponry, don't invite us.. We never go anywhere without an arsenal of defensive weapons.

If you know a good chinese buffet we can invade, we will be there all the sooner

Theo

Old 09-10-2004, 09:20 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Got a message today - we close next weekend.. Then the fun starts - I have to pack up all my tools, my weapons, my ammo, and then all the house stuff.. I need to buy a shed, to erect in a hurry, to store the tools I am bringing, because there is no garage, until I build it. My small ute trailer, that I usually carry the tools in, has died on me, so I need to uhaul them.. I can't store them in that, so a Seers special is in the cards. I need to get a dumpster, to throw away about half of the junk in the TN house - why is it, that in 4 years, you can easily double your possesions? Every time I move, I throw away masses of junk, and swear never to buy any more, but it always accumulates. I don't have nice fairies in my house, like the tooth fairy.. I have the junk depositor fairy that piles total junk into every corner of the house, when I'm not looking. The garage in TN looks like a bomb site - bits of junk everywhere, tools strewn over the place, spider webs clinging to everything, and my large saw bench, covered with rust..... Oh well, I should learn this time, maybe.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:34 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theologian
We were supposed to be in Indiana this week, but other things kept me in my office here in Tennessee. However, when the house is closed upon, and we are installed there, I would be very happy to come visit. I am a really friendly guy, and like to visit folk, but if you are a strange person who dislikes weaponry, don't invite us.. We never go anywhere without an arsenal of defensive weapons.

If you know a good chinese buffet we can invade, we will be there all the sooner

Theo
Theo, one of the reasons I'd like to get to know you better is that I could use some advice on my defensive shooting skills. I'm ok with a long gun, but need a little advice with the pistols. We do have some nice buffets; in addition I have a friend that runs the local Japaneese steak house. Also, I could use some advice acquiring a long sought after weapon that requires a number of 'steps' to obtain.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Loganwildman
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Let me know when you get settled in. I am an active IPSC style shooter. Some of our matches are a mix of IDPA and IPSC. We can hook up and burn some powder.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hkiefus
Theo, one of the reasons I'd like to get to know you better is that I could use some advice on my defensive shooting skills. I'm ok with a long gun, but need a little advice with the pistols. We do have some nice buffets; in addition I have a friend that runs the local Japaneese steak house. Also, I could use some advice acquiring a long sought after weapon that requires a number of 'steps' to obtain.
I'd be happy to help.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:52 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Loganwildman
Let me know when you get settled in. I am an active IPSC style shooter. Some of our matches are a mix of IDPA and IPSC. We can hook up and burn some powder.
I am looking forward to that..

Old 09-15-2004, 01:57 PM
SirHailstone
Elder User
Originally Posted by theologian

Theo
Chinese Buffets are on practically every other street corner in some parts of Indianapolis. Some just offer the usual Sweet and Sour and General Tso's but some offer some really interesting things.

Just make sure when you land in Winimac to take a trip over to *thinks* I think Knox to get your Pink Card [Indiana Gun Permit]. If you live within the town limits then you'd just go to your Town Marshal and apply for it. Lake and Marion counties make you jump thru flaming hoops to get one. Most counties outside Lake and Marion are easy to deal with getting one.