Sponsored by: Moser

79 F250 Dual Tank Headers??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Ranchero USA
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
79 F250 Dual Tank Headers??

I have a 79 F-250 2WD 460. The truck has dual tanks. Can I get headers on this truck with little problem? If so which ones do you guys run. I have done some searches here and have not seen much about dual tanks and headers. I dont want to run into big problems with clearance etc. I have seen fender exit headers which look good so the starter stays cool. Any suggestions. Thanks

Old 08-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Ranchero USA
Junior User
Wow nobody has them or any suggestions. I must be the only guy with this set up on the board.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:25 PM
30over
Senior User
Hello, I previously had a 76 F250 2WD with a 460. I bought a new set of Hedman Headers for it and liked them ok as long as you ran good gaskets to keep them from leaking. But they were chassis exit. I've never seen a set of fenderwell exit headers on a 2wd before but, they could be out there, I don't know.

I'm sure the muffler shop could route your exhaust around your tanks, even if they have to take the pipes down one side till they get to the back. Just go to www.hedman.com and you can find painted, HTC, and Elite headers for your truck. If you do find fenderwell exit headers which is doubtful. You'll probably be stuck with running your pipes on the outside of the frame and exit in front of the front wheels, which some folks like, buy not me. Pipes on the outside of the frame is ok though when it comes time for transmission removal.

I just purchased L&L chassis exit shorty headers for my 460 in my 77 F250 Highboy 4x4 truck. There website is www.landlproducts.com and they have chassis exit headers for your 2wd also. You'll like the quality bar none, but there pricey at about $400 or better and have lifetime warranty even against rust thru. Oh yea, Just buy you a starter insulation kit to keep the heat away. Any good performance shop has them for about $15. Make sure your grounds are good. Install a engine to firewall ground if you don't have one. Use a good battery and don't run your time to high. When you have manifolds off, it would be a good time to either replace or have your starter rebuilt. I'm speaking on all of this from previous experiences and I hope it helps.

Good Luck

Last edited by 30over; 08-25-2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:36 PM
Ranchero USA
Junior User
Thanks a lot for the input. I think they will probably have to route around the tanks just wondered if it could be done.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:43 PM
30over
Senior User
Yea, A good muffler shop can do about anything anymore. I still have the 3" aluminized system that came off my 2wd that has the collectors for hedman headers, an equalization pipe just behind the tranny, plus 3" Dynomax Super Turbo Truck Mufflers, pipes exiting behind the rear wheels. It's a sweet system. I'd fix you up with it for cheap if you weren't so far away. But, it might not clear your dual tanks anyway, mine just had an over the axle tank.

Later On My Friend

Old 08-26-2004, 01:04 AM
Ranchero USA
Junior User
Much appreciated thanks for the advice. Looks like I will be visiting the local exhaust shop to see what can be rigged up. I will also look into the starter insulation. I was hoping maybe someone had some pics of thier set up to go off of.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:38 AM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
Just FYI, I have triple tanks on my truck, and my exhaust is routed fine, ill be buying a new set of hedders next check, and then bending out a new set of pipes. I bet that if my exhaust fits with 3 tanks, that it should fit with 2 for you, it might just be tight goodluck.

---JOHN