Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Junior User

jimh1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Load range D vs. Load range E tires

It's just about time to replace the tires on the X. I have been considering going to an E rated tire vs the D rated ones I have now. I am a summertime tower with a 32' travel trailer. I thought the E rated tires might be a little more stable when towing. My hesitation is whether the E rated tires will effect the ride quality. The D rated tires I have now do the job just fine, but I thought since it is time to buy anyway, if there is not much difference in ride quality, I might as well get the heavier duty tires.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Postmaster

jschira is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The E's will have stiffer sidewalls and make the rear end a little less squirmy, but if your X tows fine with D's, why not stick with them?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
and you can actually find D's with more load carrying capacity than some E's....

now speed rating is another chapter in the book
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 08-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Senior User

Landyot is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have the original tires, and they're D-rated Firestones, go to your dealer to check on your recall notice. Ford/Firestone will replace all 5 for free, and provide E-rated replacement tires. There's nothing wrong with the original D-rated Firestone tires, except they're just "not enough" tire for the heavy X. Ford tried to skimp on some cost and went with the D's, when the X really needed E's. I kept my D-rated tires at 60PSI at all 4 corners, and they've been fine, with excellent treadwear (72K miles or so & only 3/4 worn). I'm waiting for my local Firestone dealer to come up with the BFG replacements. Meanwhile, I've also gotten some E-rated Nittos on some new rims. I'll probably sell the new replacements after they're received.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Junior User

smassie88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Be careful, not ALL the Firestone Steeltex D rated were recalled. I have the "R4S" version, Ford/Firestone will not replace them even though they are still only D rated with some cracking on the sidewall near the wheel.
Edelbrock 62mm Throttle Body
K & N Gen 2 FIPK
White Strobes (all 4 corners)
Super Duty Front Bumpstops
Old 08-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Elder User

Btravelen is starting off with a positive reputation.
I put E's on mine at about 38,000 miles, along with heavy duty valve stems. We tow a 31 ft trailer and had a D fail while towing. The valve stem, which I believe was replaced with a marginal light duty rubber unit good for 65 PSI, was what failed, taking the tire with it.

I've seen used Ex's on E Bay and elsewhere that have had C's installed. Future pre-owned buyers beware!
Old 08-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Senior User

dddenio is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you run 265/75-16 load range E at 55-60psi, you won't notice a difference in ride or handling. E's can be pumped up to 80psi when towing & that makes one heck of a difference. 285/75-16 & bigger sizes have a higher weight capacity in a "D" designated tire. Size does matter!

The ONLY reason I'd run 265/75-16 D's is if I had a gasser motor & or never pulled a trailer. Then D's would be fine.

If you had a 5.4l gasser & never pulled a trailer, C's may possibly be OK. I'd check tire load capacity or just run "D's" and be certain. Anybody know the GVWR w/ a 5.4
02 7.3L Excursion 4x4 FTVB, MBRP 4" SS, Ranchos, "V" & "B" Codes, AirBags, Rear Hellwig, Coolant Filter Kit & 203 stat, Tank Mods 01 7.3L F350 CC LB 4x4 5" Exh guages BTS trans US Gear DP 6 pos chip V10 Trans Cooler Coolant Filter Kit Evans 203 stat DI reg Fuel GT38R BB Turbo AFE 2 Banks IC Air Bags
Old 08-28-2004, 05:10 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddenio
If you run 265/75-16 load range E at 55-60psi, you won't notice a difference in ride or handling. E's can be pumped up to 80psi when towing & that makes one heck of a difference.
But you will notice the difference when towing.

Quote:
The ONLY reason I'd run 265/75-16 D's is if I had a gasser motor & or never pulled a trailer. Then D's would be fine.
My D's have a capacity of 3000 + lbs. each versus 3400 lbs. for an E (265/75/16).

3000 lbs. x 4 = 12,000 load capacity. Not much of a concern to me as my X will never go over above about 9500 lbs. fully loaded. (GVWR is only 9200 lbs.).

Yea, I know, it's not evenly distributed front to rear with a trailer, but that is why I have a WD hitch. The hitch throws a lot of the trailer weight to the front tires.

I pulled 7000 lbs to KC a few weeks ago. The rear tires were only a 5-10 degrees warmer than the front tires (checked with a infrared thermometer).
Old 08-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Senior User

dddenio is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jshira, Before I added Hellwig sway bar, The only thing that would improve handling while pulling 29' enclosed trailer was airing tires to 80psi. The D's that were on there stock "aired to the max" were uncomfortable to tow with. E's at 60 psi towed the same as D's at 60psi. For me the E's (80psi) helped a bunch & I wasn't anywhere near loaded capacity. I'll be adding Radius Rods in the near future & I'll report my findings there too.

If someone has D's & never needed more, buy D's. Personally, I NEVER see myself going back to D's. Unloaded my E's are at 55psi & I have the ability to go to 80psi when ever needed. I like options.

Thanks for your input,

Dennis
02 7.3L Excursion 4x4 FTVB, MBRP 4" SS, Ranchos, "V" & "B" Codes, AirBags, Rear Hellwig, Coolant Filter Kit & 203 stat, Tank Mods 01 7.3L F350 CC LB 4x4 5" Exh guages BTS trans US Gear DP 6 pos chip V10 Trans Cooler Coolant Filter Kit Evans 203 stat DI reg Fuel GT38R BB Turbo AFE 2 Banks IC Air Bags
Old 08-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddenio
Jshira, Before I added Hellwig sway bar, The only thing that would improve handling while pulling 29' enclosed trailer was airing tires to 80psi. The D's that were on there stock "aired to the max" were uncomfortable to tow with. E's at 60 psi towed the same as D's at 60psi. For me the E's (80psi) helped a bunch & I wasn't anywhere near loaded capacity.
Yes, that makes sense. E's have an extra 2 plys in the sidewalls, which makes the sidewalls stiffer. I'm sure the E's are less squirmy.

The tires that I wanted only came in D's. I would have gotten E's otherwise.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Freshman User

Gundawg52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You are probably right that D range tires ride better. I have the Firestone D range and have been pleased with the results as far as wear . They are a bit bumpier in town, but great on the road especially with a load.I have about 30000 on mine presently.
Ken Robinson
Old 08-30-2004, 09:47 AM
New User

amstier is starting off with a positive reputation.
i switch to michielin ltx m/s e rating and it the ride was incrediable verses the firestone e rating i though i die and went to heaven
Old 09-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Junior User

XXXcursion is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have load range E tires and love them compared to the D range.
Much more stable.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstier
i switch to michielin ltx m/s e rating and it the ride was incrediable verses the firestone e rating i though i die and went to heaven
You are obviously very happy; do you pull with your truck?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 09-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDYOT
If you have the original tires, and they're D-rated Firestones, go to your dealer to check on your recall notice. Ford/Firestone will replace all 5 for free, and provide E-rated replacement tires. There's nothing wrong with the original D-rated Firestone tires, except they're just "not enough" tire for the heavy X. Ford tried to skimp on some cost and went with the D's, when the X really needed E's. I kept my D-rated tires at 60PSI at all 4 corners, and they've been fine, with excellent treadwear (72K miles or so & only 3/4 worn). I'm waiting for my local Firestone dealer to come up with the BFG replacements. Meanwhile, I've also gotten some E-rated Nittos on some new rims. I'll probably sell the new replacements after they're received.
Tell me more, is the tire quiet on the open road, OK for most weather????
Does it collect rocks and then pitch them at the fender and innocent folks behind you???
Inquiring minds want to know
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 09-01-2004, 05:55 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
1201160, capacity, difference, firestone, load, range, rated, rating, sale, steel, tech, tire, tires, towing, truck, whats