1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

sticky stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 07:49 PM
j.m. ray
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sticky stuff

can anyone tell me what the sticky stuff used in between the air deflectors and inner fenders ,is called ,and is it necessary.some type sealer where the flanges bolt together. is it for water proofing or preventing noise? oh,i forgot to say ,its on a 1955 f100. thanks

Old 08-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey JM - My Effie doesn't have the sticky stuff. The previous owner rebuilt it for his daughter about 10 years ago. Maybe he left it out then. There doesn't appear to be any problem with that.
I don't suppose a rust sealer there would be a bad idea, but I live in California where rust isn't as big a problem as it is in other places.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:29 AM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dum-Dum Yup, that's what it was called back in the day. It was used by a lot of body shops as a fit-all seam sealer and anti squeak between 2 metal panels. I still find it today. I use it when I mount SS to side body panels to keep water from getting in through the mounting bolts/clips. One version is the white "flexible gasket ribbon" sold at all RV stores in 1" 1.5" and 2" wide (with a paper liner )to seal the doors and vents. It stays soft. The other is a black butyl seam sealer in a rope on a paper liner sold at all body shop/paint suppliers. This is a good product to use for wind gasket leaks after repairs. It is 3M or Tremco brand in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" It sticks like grim death and stays flexible. I stock all 6 in my shop and use at all seams and joints. The Dum-Dum is used to hold shims,washers,panels,and nuts in place if working alone or for temp mounts to test fit. It will squeeze out as you tighten. Handy man's best friend like duct tape IMO.