1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

RV with E350 front clip/chassis questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 03:12 PM
equium
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV with E350 front clip/chassis questions

i'm about to buy a 1990 class C RV with an E350 front clip boasting a ford 460ci. When looking for engine and front suspention parts, do i just tell the guy it's an E350 and/or and RV? I know the first thing i have to do is replace the sway bar bushings. some are even missing! can i get these from any parts store? geeze, can i even replace these myself? i don't have a huge arsenal of tools. sockets and wrences is about it. thanks for any help.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:40 AM
reno611
New User
E-350 cut away

Most RV's are titled by the year it (RV) was manufactured, you probably have title to a 1990, but the cutaway may well be a 1989. So check the serial number in the windshield to be sure. I have a 93 RV on a 92 frame...so I order parts for a 1992 E-350 with dual real wheels..As far as replacing the bushing, I have not a clue..

Old 08-26-2004, 10:53 AM
equium
Elder User
Originally Posted by reno611
Most RV's are titled by the year it (RV) was manufactured, you probably have title to a 1990, but the cutaway may well be a 1989. So check the serial number in the windshield to be sure. I have a 93 RV on a 92 frame...so I order parts for a 1992 E-350 with dual real wheels..As far as replacing the bushing, I have not a clue..
Thanks reno, the tag in the door shows a manufactured date of 6/89.
so i guess it's a '89? or is it a '90 model made in 89? i can't see there being much differance of part between the years. so what hints and/or tips can you give me about owning a class C with an E350? this is my first RV. I've driven a few, but never owned one. thanks.

Old 08-28-2004, 03:12 PM
reno611
New User
As I stated previously check the serial number for the exact model year..There should be code for the year, but I am not that familiar with it to tell you. I have had nothing but a fantastic time in my E-350, which is a 29 foot model..I tow a 91 Blazer and have been over over the country. Nothing special about driving one. If you are towing, just remember to leave yourself enough room to turn around and pick the places to turn into carefully, cause you cannot back up with a tow vehicle..I have had to unhitch several times because I was not paying attention and what a pain in the butt that can be..Just learn the routine of camping, plugging in, dumping tanks etc..My adviced is to go somewhere close to home on a trial run and spend a couple days..Dumping the tanks is probably the most trying time. Go slow and make sure the connections are secure..Ask a friend or neighbor who might have had an RV, most owners will by more that glad to assist you with any questions. Check the tires and make sure they are inflated to the maximun PSI printed on the side wall. Check between the treads for cracking, if they are cracking do not drive them, get NEW tires, 10 ply..RV's sit more that they are driven and tires will deteroriate, tread may look good but if any cracking between the treads they will blow out..usually miles and miles away from anyplace or anyone...There is a lot more information, some you will need right away and some you will learn over time, something the hard way. One cannot clue you to all the things that can happen or what to look for. I hope this helps...

Old 08-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Cor
Senior User
Originally Posted by equium
i'm about to buy a 1990 class C RV with an E350 front clip boasting a ford 460ci. When looking for engine and front suspention parts, do i just tell the guy it's an E350 and/or and RV? I know the first thing i have to do is replace the sway bar bushings. some are even missing! can i get these from any parts store? geeze, can i even replace these myself? i don't have a huge arsenal of tools. sockets and wrences is about it. thanks for any help.
I guess that the 350 sway bar bushings are not much different than my E150; From the book I know there are 3 designs; mine has the ends of the swaybar sticking into the axle beams, and there should be a bushing in the beam; you can get them from Napa; in my case one bushing had come out(the rubber part) but the steel liner still in the axle. All it took was a hammer and chisel to get the steel liner out.
There are 2 other designs, which are probably easier, where the sway bar connects with the axle beam with a vertical rod; in these rods ther are again 2 designs, one with a round bushing on both sides, the other with a shock absorber type mounting on one end; should not be a problem anyway; did mine in an hour or so without any special tools. Questions about camping????/ have done it several times with a rental unit in the rockies and the west, and have a Chevy based Winnebago over here myself. Great!!
Only towing a car is not permitted in Europe, so I put it on a tandem axle trailer. That attracts attention!!
Cor