Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

What the heck is "Theft"?

Old 08-23-2004, 07:17 AM
rotorhead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the heck is "Theft"?

I mean, other than the obvious answer. I'm referring to the little blinking "theft" light in my 2000 Explorer. As I said, still no manual, so I don't know what this is or what to do with it.

Old 08-23-2004, 08:39 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
It means the system is armed.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:21 AM
rotorhead
Senior User
Yes, but what system? What does it do? It's obviously not an alarm, since I haven't set it off yet, and would have no way of turning it off if I did. What is the system? Remember, no owners manual. lol.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:27 AM
jonm61
Senior User
To add to that a little bit, your key has a chip in it that the computer in your X is programmed to accept. If you put a key without a chip, or one that is not programmed into your computer, in the ignition, it will turn over until the battery dies but it will not start. That's the built in anti-theft system. The theft light will flash any time the system does not find a recognized chip.

That said, be VERY careful with your keys. If you have 2, you can program another one yourself (procedure's in the manual & I believe it's posted in the forum). If you only have 1 key, you have to go to the dealer to have a new one programmed. The key itself, NOT including programming, will run anywhere from $60 on up, depending on the dealer you go to. Then it's an additional $35 or more to program your truck for that key.

You can get key blanks for it, OEM & aftermarket, on Ebay for less. Then you just have to get them cut & programmed. Any locksmith can cut them, and if you already have 2 working keys, you can program the new ones. Aftermarket keys seem to work fine. I bought 2 keys on Ebay for $40, paid a locksmith $2 to cut them, and then my dealer programmed both for $35.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:31 AM
rotorhead
Senior User
Awesome. Thanks, guys. I have two keys, but would like a third to put back for safe keeping. I appreciate the info. I have GOT to get an owners manual!!

Old 08-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Elder User
Talking

If you have the keyless entry then you probably have an alarm system (I believe it would be considered a passive alarm). I have one on my 99 Mountaineer and have set it off a couple of times. If the conditions are right then it will sound and you turn it off with your key fob. I can't remember exactly how, but my wife was sitting in it talking with someone but it wasn't running and I think the keys were in the ingintion, then someone opened the door and the horn started honking. If you want, or noone else can be more specific, then I will gladly take a look in my owners manual and give you a more intelligent answer.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:33 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
On my ranger, when I take the key out and either hit the lock button or the key chain lock button, the alarm system is then armed and the theft light begins blinking. Try leaving a window down, get out, lock, shut door, then reach in and open door from inside, I think that would set off the alarm if its working..

Alternatively, my 03 Ex, only has the engine immobilizer chip in the key, but I think still has a theft light. I was angry when I found this out, it does nothing to prevent breakins on my vehicle, just prevents it from driving away without the right key in the ignition.

Our former 00 Windstar had both systems, Mothers 02 Sable has both also.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:34 AM
rotorhead
Senior User
I must only have the engine immobilizer, since I don't even have a key fob.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:53 AM
mikephotos
Freshman User
rotorheard,

guess you didn't see my post in the other topic. you want an owners manual for your 2000 Explorer, go here:
http://www.genuineflmservice.com/default.asp?page=E4

mike

Old 08-23-2004, 10:00 AM
rotorhead
Senior User
Nope, I missed it when you posted it, Mike. Thanks a bunch.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:07 AM
mikephotos
Freshman User
You're Welcome!

While there's only basic info in the manaul, it can be useful at times.

Mike

Old 08-23-2004, 08:46 PM
LACityFD
Senior User
On my 97 Explorer when you push the door lock button or lock the doors via the fob, the light will stay solid for i believe 30 seconds. This gives you time to get out or whatever. After the 30 seconds it will start to blink and that is when the system is armed.

The engine immobolizer doesn't do crap, at least not on my X. I have done the role down the window, lock the car, then open it from the inside trick to set the alarm off. Then I try to start the car and on first attempt it wont start. But then i send the key back to the off position, and back on and it starts right up and turns the horn off.

Great anti-theft!

Louie

Old 08-23-2004, 09:50 PM
mikephotos
Freshman User
Louie,

The reason it starts is because you are using a properly programmed PATS Anti-theft key. Try that with a working cut key (but not properly programmed for your vehcile) and it will not start.

Mike

Old 08-24-2004, 06:01 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
97s may not even have a PATS system, if not you dont have an engine immobilizer.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:22 PM
robl
New User
I also have the immobilizer and alarm system, but I found out this weekend that the alalrm system is pretty much usless for beak-ins. The thief broke the window then jumped in and grabbed what he could (luckily I only had a couple of CD's stolen no big deal) but he never opened the door so the alarm did not go off. Not such a great system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What the heck is "Theft"?