3.0 Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 09:38 PM
mabr35
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.0 Starting problem

I know this is a truck forum but I have a 2000 Taurus with a 3.0 V6 that I hope some one can help me out with.
It is an intermittent problem, may do it once a week or once a month with no real pattern that I can determine.
Here it is.
After the car sits overnight and I go to start it in the morning, the car cranks but does not start.
If turn the key off and back on , usually once but no more than three times, the engine starts right up.
Once the engine does start it starts fine for the rest of the day and the car runs like new and the problem may not return for days or weeks.
Now my check engine light has been on. It comes on for a day or a week then goes off for a day or week.
This past week when it cam on again I stopped at Auto Zone and I found out the code to be a P0401, EGR Flow Insufficient Detected.
This is the only code.
I have read the may posts on the 401 code and believe my problem is with the DPFE Sensor.
In the next few days I will do some more extensive troubleshooting on the 401 code just to confirm my suspicions of the DPFE sensor.
Could the 401 code be related to my starting problem or do I need to look elsewhere ?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Which 3.0L engine do you have? Ford put both the 2-valve OHV 3.0L "Vulcan" engine and the 4-valve DOHC "Duratec" engine in the '01 Taurus. I heard that a few of the '00 or '01 Duratecs needed to have their computers re-programed because of hard start issues.

I can't say for sure whether the EGR issue would affect starting like that. It sounds more like a fuel pressure issue. When you first turn the key to the "on" position, your fuel pump primes for 1-2 seconds, then shuts off until you start cranking. So by "cylcing" the switch like you do, you are allowing the system to get additional "priming shots" from the fuel pump and hence more initial fuel pressure is built up for subsequent crankings.

My money is that your PO401 code is indeed a bad DPFE. You might want to call your local Ford dealer and give them your VIN # and ask them to check to see if they will replace the DPFE for free, as I recall there was some kind of emmissions warranty coverage on the DPFE for '00 and/or '01 models. Worth a shot.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:46 PM
hreed
Posting Guru
My guess on the starting problem is a fuel pump relay. The other stuff shouldn't keep it from starting.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Big Jim M
Senior User
Smile Howdy MABR35

When was the last time you changed fuel filters? Classic fuel filter problem.
Big Jim

Old 08-24-2004, 02:24 PM
mabr35
New User
First I would like to say thanks so far for the thoughts and suggestions !!!

I want to mention a couple more things.
I have the 2 valve 3.0 V6 in the Taurus.
I was also thinking along the lines of the Fuel Filter, which Big Jim mentioned. I had replaced the Fuel Filter about a week ago.
The no start issue came back about two days after I had changed the Fuel Filter.
I spoke to some one a one of my local Ford dealers and he had mentioned the Idle Air Control Valve as a possible cause.

Thanks again for the help!!!!

Old 08-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Gary B
Senior User
you probally do have a bad DPFE sensor with the P0401 code but that will not cause your cold start problem. you need to test the fuel pressure after sitting overnight,my guess is it will be 0,and slowly come up as you cycle the key on and off. if the fuel filter is good the fuel pump is weak.if the filter is plugged again the pump is defintly bad.