New to v-6's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 09:30 PM
papawfalcon
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to v-6's?

I have been thinking about starting a different prodject.I don't know anything about v-6's.First question Is a 2.6 2.8 2.9 4.0 and SOCH4.0 the same family just different bore and stroke.And a 3.0 is different.Second where can I find the dimensions of these motors.And third are there several different automatics used or is there a common auto trans.I hope these are not to lengthy questions.Thanks for any and all help! Ken N.undefined

Old 08-23-2004, 02:51 AM
ludis
Elder User
Correct.
Correct.
What sort of dimensions?

Old 08-23-2004, 06:49 PM
papawfalcon
Freshman User
sorry,I wasn't spicific.Width,length,height and weight.Thanks again Ken N.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
All of the engines mentioned are/were made in Cologne, Germany. However, the 4.0L SOHC engine is a Single Overhead Camshaft design that is a very different animal than the earlier 2.9L-4.0L Overhead Valve engine. The 4.0L OHV is actually a bored and stroked 2.9L OHV.

Old 08-29-2004, 01:18 AM
Fomhoire
Senior User
I had a Ford Shop Manual for a 1973 Capri that had the dimensions of the 2600, which would be the same for the 2.8. The block height is slightly taller for the 4.0, but you real height concern is going to be the intake/air cleaner/fuel injection assemblies. You might search for a forums about Capri's, Pintos, Mustang II's or any of the European car sites with information about this engine and ask.

A little history on this engine:

The idea for the 60º V6 originated from the 60º V4 in Europe (the V4 and early V6 timing covers were identical). The first of these V6's was a 2.0L, then a 2.3L I don't think the first two were sold in the North American market, but the 2.6L version was sold in the German made Capri's. In 1974 it went to a 2.8. In 1975 it was available in the German Capri, Pintos, and Mustang II's, then in the 80's it was used in the Ranger's and Bronco II's and in several European cars up till 1987. These engines used timing gears. Ford made a revision to this in the 2.9 engines and used a chain instead and added fuel injection along with a revision to the heads. The 4.0L block was made a little taller to accomodate the extra stroke.

Exterior dimensions and changes for this engine to the best of my knowledge are as follows:

2.0L, 2.3, 2.6L: The exterior dimensions of the block are the same.
2.8L: The exterior dimensions of the block were inherited from the 2.0-2.6 verisions with a slight modification to the water passeges and a revision to the heads making head swaps with the 2.0-2.6L versions incompatible without some tricky machine work. The intake manifold on the 2.0L-2.6L was different, made for a Weber carb, vs the 2.8L that had an intake made for the Autolite/Motorcraft 2100 series carbs. There were two versions of the heads on the 74-80 2.8L engines. One version had two exhaust ports (two cylinders shared an exhaust port) and the other had three exhaust ports. I think only one version was available in North America though.

Heads and intakes on the 2.9 and 4.0 need to be watched before swapping as there were frequent revisions affecting compresion ration, etc.

Bellhousing patterns remained the same, but I think the holes for the motormounts changed and were revised in either the 2.9L or the 4.0L

If you want to look up more information on this motor try searching for Ford Capri, Cologne V6, Capri V6, Capri 2.8i.

A few interesting links:

Engine diagram
http://www.capri.pl/garage/engine-2800-v6

A really neat book
http://www.capri.pl/library/books/ho...-engines.l.jpg

The V4
http://www.cz3.nus.edu.sg/~shing/cap...ok/engine.html

Information on both the Essex and Cologne V4/V6 engines with some carburator tips.
http://www.fordcaprilaser.co.uk/capri_engines.htm

Old 08-29-2004, 07:31 PM
papawfalcon
Freshman User
I guess the name says it all (FALCON)I have never been av-8 person.I raced a pinto with a 2000 4-cyl and it was indistructable (almost)I loved it.But Wanted a little more.And fuel injection.German motors are strong.My FALCON is a '62 3.3 6-cyl(200)And would be using an automatic.Thanks for all the imformation.Allways great to learn something new.Thanks Ken N.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:04 PM
MGA+FordV6
New User
Originally Posted by Fomhoire
I had a Ford Shop Manual for a 1973 Capri that had the dimensions of the 2600, which would be the same for the 2.8. The block height is slightly taller for the 4.0, but you real height concern is going to be the intake/air cleaner/fuel injection assemblies. You might search for a forums about Capri's, Pintos, Mustang II's or any of the European car sites with information about this engine and ask.

A little history on this engine:

The idea for the 60º V6 originated from the 60º V4 in Europe (the V4 and early V6 timing covers were identical). The first of these V6's was a 2.0L, then a 2.3L I don't think the first two were sold in the North American market, but the 2.6L version was sold in the German made Capri's. In 1974 it went to a 2.8. In 1975 it was available in the German Capri, Pintos, and Mustang II's, then in the 80's it was used in the Ranger's and Bronco II's and in several European cars up till 1987. These engines used timing gears. Ford made a revision to this in the 2.9 engines and used a chain instead and added fuel injection along with a revision to the heads. The 4.0L block was made a little taller to accomodate the extra stroke.

Exterior dimensions and changes for this engine to the best of my knowledge are as follows:

2.0L, 2.3, 2.6L: The exterior dimensions of the block are the same.
2.8L: The exterior dimensions of the block were inherited from the 2.0-2.6 verisions with a slight modification to the water passeges and a revision to the heads making head swaps with the 2.0-2.6L versions incompatible without some tricky machine work. The intake manifold on the 2.0L-2.6L was different, made for a Weber carb, vs the 2.8L that had an intake made for the Autolite/Motorcraft 2100 series carbs. There were two versions of the heads on the 74-80 2.8L engines. One version had two exhaust ports (two cylinders shared an exhaust port) and the other had three exhaust ports. I think only one version was available in North America though.

Heads and intakes on the 2.9 and 4.0 need to be watched before swapping as there were frequent revisions affecting compresion ration, etc.

Bellhousing patterns remained the same, but I think the holes for the motormounts changed and were revised in either the 2.9L or the 4.0L

If you want to look up more information on this motor try searching for Ford Capri, Cologne V6, Capri V6, Capri 2.8i.

A few interesting links:

Engine diagram
capri.pl: Silnik Cologne 2.8 V6 OHV

A really neat book
http://www.capri.pl/library/books/ho...-engines.l.jpg

The V4
Shing's Home Page

Information on both the Essex and Cologne V4/V6 engines with some carburator tips.
http://www.fordcaprilaser.co.uk/capri_engines.htm
I have an unknown Ford V6 engine in my 1962 MGA that I need to identify. The previous owner had no information on this engine. I think it is a 2.8 Cologne from a Bronco II or Capri, but I am not sure. How do I identify this engine? The reason why I ask is that I want to upgrade the carb (now a Holley) to a Weber DCNF X 3 set up and the only manifolds available for this are in the UK. So before I order I need to id the motor and also find out if the motors found in the USA are the same as the ones in the EC in terms of intake manifold configuration. They make manifolds for the 2.6 / 2.8 then a different one for the 2.9.

I really want to clean up this motor and dress it up with new valve covers (also cannot find any in the USA)...

In short are all 2.8 Ford V6s considered Cologne engines regardless of where they are made?

Thanks... Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Michael in San Diego