1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Camper conversion ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 08:36 PM
evan250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Camper conversion ???

I have a 1994 E250 6 cylinder van. I want to make a camper out of it. It is empty on the inside (metal walls only). Any ideas or inexpensive stuff to make the conversion.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:30 AM
Little Bro
Senior User
Here are some random thoughts in no particular order.

1. Walls open is a good time to think about soundproofing and/or insulation.
2. An exterior electric outlet used in residential construction (spring-loaded weather-proof doors) can meet needs for hookup capability when camping in places with electric available.
3. Everything you install, fasten it down so you don't get hit in the head in a panic stop.
4. Keep the weight down. Think air mattress. Cheap and light.
5. Raise your bed area to the tops of the wheel wells. Store your gear beneath.
6. Use portable accessories instead of expensive built-ins. Coleman stove & ice chest vs. RV-type stove and fridge.
7. Use velcro and plastic window screen to make a rear window and a side window mosquito-proof when open.
8. Get extra plastic hanger "hooks" from salvage yard cars and mount them in most of the trim screw locations around the cabin. Use plastic clothes hangers on these for towels, etc.
9. Carry a poky green plastic doormat in a plastic bag. Use it outside the van to keep the inside cleaner when you're in camp. In the bag, dirt collected will be contained while going down the road.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:00 AM
76 maverick
Senior User
Me and my mother used to take blue angel (1985 E 150 X wheel chair van) camping all the time the back bench seet folds out into a full size bed it has a little minny frige for a van older than me it sure is nice

Old 08-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Baldwiny
New User
Good ideas Little Bro.

There's a Yahoo group for camper vans:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Classic_B_Vans/

Most of the members have pre-RV'd type units, but there are some do-it-yourselfers as well.

Steve