Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Will Power Stroke have an answer for Cummings soon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 08:34 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the point of view that I am looking at it from, I am constantly in 4x4.

Old 09-06-2004, 11:10 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
Like I said before. It is doubtful that you would ever have to change the leaf springs due to failure. You might change them out if you bought the truck specifically for hardcore 4x4ing and wanted to lift it and do other 4x4 mods.
Its also doubtful that a coil spring would ever fail also. Ford is using basically the same design that is used in monster trucks. Would you call them weak? I think this new system will provide better strength than a leaf spring system. Couple that with easy to swap springs for different performance requirements and I'll bet that everyone is using this in the future. Now if I can figure out how to mod the 77 with this I'll be in heaven.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:18 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmyers
Its also doubtful that a coil spring would ever fail also. Ford is using basically the same design that is used in monster trucks. Would you call them weak? I think this new system will provide better strength than a leaf spring system. Couple that with easy to swap springs for different performance requirements and I'll bet that everyone is using this in the future. Now if I can figure out how to mod the 77 with this I'll be in heaven.
Well. Im not fond of the design. Dodge has used it for years and my opinion is leafs are more reliable.
You are excluding the track bar in your fewer parts. I get 4 bushings per side for the control arms. 2 for the track bar. A leaf keeps the axle very located. Much better than a slinky ever could.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:29 AM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
Originally Posted by tmyers
Its also doubtful that a coil spring would ever fail also. Ford is using basically the same design that is used in monster trucks. Would you call them weak?
Ford is using basically the same design that is used in monster trucks.

This is an invalid argument. To me it sounds about the same as saying IFS on Chevy is better because it is used on Baja Pre-Runners and 4-wheel Independent suspension is better because it is used by HUMMER. No, I do not believe the monster truck coil springs are weak(they jump about 20 feet high they better be strong) but then again how long does the average monster truck last. They are not meant for longevity. I do not feel that IFS is a detrimental aspect... neither do I feel that coil springs are a severe disadvantage. Some people just don't like change... why not go with the tried and true. Leaf springs are older than time and have so far shown themselves to be a steadfast design. I usually prefer the older, simpler technology on automobiles but I do not oppose the coil springs.

Trivia Question: What was the first vehicle to use 4-wheel disc brakes?

Last edited by DieselDonor7.3; 09-07-2004 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Bordaine
Elder User
One of my friends (Dougie Diesel) has a pick up that runs in the low 9s.

Chevy P/U with a 6V53 Detroit. twin turbos feeding the blower, 58LBS of boost at the intake. Alcohol / water injection into the turbos. Runs 1/2 diesel fuel and 1/2 auto trans fluid (to keep the injectors from locking in full fuel). Allison auto and shifting at 5000 RPM.

All this and he did it 1982

He is now in the prosess of building a funny truck. Diesel powered. He says it will run in the 7s

Old 09-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LH a Super Duty with leaf springs has a track bar too.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Shucks, now that you say it im gonna have to go look. Dont I feel stupid.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:47 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DieselDonor7.3
Trivia Question: What was the first vehicle to use 4-wheel disc brakes?
Gonna guess a mercedes or a corvette.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Bordaine
Elder User
Trivia Question: What was the first vehicle to use 4-wheel disc brakes?[/QUOTE]

First vehicle with 4 wheel disc brake was a Tucker

Old 09-07-2004, 05:06 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
What an engineering marvel in its time…. and still some pretty amazing

Old 09-07-2004, 05:38 PM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bordaine
Trivia Question: What was the first vehicle to use 4-wheel disc brakes? First vehicle with 4 wheel disc brake was a Tucker
I also love that headlight in the center that turns when you turn the steering wheel. They are just now over 55 years later starting to make headlights that turn with the corners. I've heard that Tucker and Delorean probably would have both succeeded if their vehicle launch was better timed. The Tucker did have 4-wheel disc brakes but that car was waaay ahead of its time and very exclusive(only 51 made). Lamborghini started doing it in 1970 with their Countach model and have been using it ever since. Thats when it started to catch on.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:55 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
We could easily compare the technology from his time to now and see he was as good as they came......some have written. ….Too good

Old 09-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Bordaine
Elder User
4 wheel disc brakes where std on all Volvos in 1968 along with shoulder belts for front and rear passengers.
Tucker was way ahead of his time. There is a TV show on the car (not the movie) I saw it on Discovery channel a few years back. I would like to see it again.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
The movie was pretty good.

They did some of the first crash tests and extreme endurance tests on the tucker. It was something else.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:11 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
What was the best car of that time and who knows enough to do a comparison of the two.
It might not parallel exactly what this forum is about, but it is close and would be informative to take a step back in time and a look at vehicles then. There is no doubt in my mind that many of today’s thoughts/ideas are a byproduct of yesteryear.