1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Battery removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 09:55 AM
qwikslvr64
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery removal

The family car is a 2002 Ford F-150 Conversion Van...

Alright, how in the world does this battery come out? I removed both the negative and positive prongs and looked all around the battery. All I noticed was a long screw behind the battery... am I suppose to remove this and will the battery come out? I am not sure if there are any other bolts I need to remove first. Thanks for the help!

Also, is there a search field for these forums? I mean, what forum that has over 300 questions would not have a search field... or am I missing something? I went through about 5 pages and gave up looking, so here is my question - sorry if it is a repeat! Thanks again!

Michael

Old 08-21-2004, 09:57 AM
qwikslvr64
New User
Talking Sorry - found the search

Alright, sorry about the second part - I guess you need to be logged in to view the search option. But I would still appreciate some help! Thanks!

Old 08-21-2004, 10:13 AM
JH6
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you have a J hook on there.

Use a socket and turn the head of that screw counterclockwise until it comes loose, then remove the battery.

The job of that little hook is to hold down the battery.

Old 08-21-2004, 10:19 AM
qwikslvr64
New User
Smile thanks...

Thanks, do you think that is all there is holding it in place?

Also, does this van come standard with two batteries, or is it optional? The manual does not seem to say... If there is a second battery, it is located under the passenger frame... right? I can't seem to see another battery, but hey, maybe it is there?!?! Thanks again!

Old 08-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quikslvr64,

The one bolt that you see sticking up holds the battery hold down clamp in place. The clamp is a plastic block about 4" long that fits into a groove made into the lower edge of the battery.

Just loosen the bolt fully and when you remove it, the clamp block will come out with the bolt. Be sure that the clamp block is engaged in the groove in the side of the battery when you put it back together so that the battery won't bounce around.

Also be sure to remove the ground (-) wire first and replace it last any time you disconnect a car battery. This will prevent the possibility of causing an arc from the positive (+) terminal via your wrench to any grounded metal part of the vehicle. Such an arc can cause an explosion of the hydrogen gas that is given off by lead acid batteries.

Gene

Old 08-23-2004, 03:30 PM
qwikslvr64
New User
thanks!

Hi Gene,

Thanks! I got the battery out and charged and it seems to be just fine now. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it all!

Michael