Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Who Owns Whom?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 01:21 AM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who Owns Whom?

This doesn't pertain to diesels a whole lot but it could be of some importance (Jeep is using Mercedes diesel motor in the Liberty). I haven't done a whole lot of research on it but I am very curious to know and this is my understanding so far.

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo, Mazda, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Lotus, (Maserati?) (Saab?)

GMC, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac, (Isuzu?)

Plymouth, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Eagle, Mercedes (Plymouth and Eagle no longer producing vehicles) all owned by Daimler-Chrysler Corporation

Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini

Honda, Acura

Nissan, Datsun (Datsun out of biz)

Toyota, Lexus, Scion (I thought Scion was a Toyota model but I was recently at the Toyota dealership and learned that it is a make and they have 3 models so far www.scion.com)

Independent?????

Mitsubishi

Subaru

Saturn

Let me know if I missed any or if you have any discrepancies and which companies are solely independent?

Last edited by DieselDonor7.3; 08-20-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
PLEASE do not use the quote function when you are replying to a post directly like this, don't waste bandwidth! -Admin

Mitsubishi and chrysler are in bed.
I believe saturn is part owned by GM.
Gm even has a 21% bite in fuji heavy metal. The makers of subaru.
Gm and isuzu partially split the sheets. GM gets 60% of dmax ltd and some other little diesels that Isuzu designed.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 08-20-2004 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:17 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo, Mazda, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Lotus, (Maserati?) (Saab?),
not quite, Saab (owned by GM) or Maserati (owned by Fiat, who is in bed with GM) aren't owned, or associated, neither is lotus (owned by Proton), Land Rover is also owned by Ford

GMC, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac, (Isuzu?),
yep, plus Opel, Vauxhaul and Holden,
plus in bed with Fiat, Fugi Heavy Industries and Suzuki

Plymouth, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Eagle, Mercedes (Plymouth and Eagle no longer producing vehicles) all owned by Daimler-Chrysler Corporation
also partly own Mitsubishi

Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini
Not Porsche (independant, despite working with VW)
Also own Seat, and Skoda

PLUS

Ferrari, Maserati, Lancia, are owned by Fiat, which is bed with GM

Citroen and Peugot together

Rover (not Land Rover) independant

Trying to rack brain to remember....lol

Last edited by BigF350; 08-20-2004 at 02:20 AM. Reason: removing quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:19 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
oops sorry about quoting
didn't realise

Old 08-20-2004, 02:23 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Go to the websites for the various brands. There are usually links to sister companies or divisions. Check the company info at the websites also.

Old 08-20-2004, 04:07 AM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigF350
oops sorry about quoting
didn't realise
Your post was very informative though thank you. I was looking at the Ford lineup of subsidiaries(or whatever you want to call it) and Mazda just doesn't fit in well with the other name brands. You didn't say anything about Subaru or Saturn though. Here were some others I was curious about also:

Alfa Romeo, Bentley, BMW, Daewoo(out of biz), Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Kia, Maybach(seems to me had something to do with Mercedes), MINI, Pagani, Panoz, Rolls-Royce, and TVR

Last edited by DieselDonor7.3; 08-20-2004 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Kia and ford have done some projects together. The aspire comes to mind. Try getting parts for one though. LOL. No one wants to claim it as theres so ford or kia dont carry parts. Nor does mazda even though its their engine. Hardy har har.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:52 AM
camo4stealth
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saab, partly owned by GM, shares some platforms with subaru.

Old 08-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Saturn , to my knowledge is wholly owned by GM like Chev, Pontiac, Olds, Buick, Cadillac,GMC, Holden, Saab. GM also are in bed with Hummer, and they, not Hummer, make the H2.

Volkswagen owns Rolls-royce/Bentley.
I was surprised to find that they don't own Porsche.. I thought it was volkswagen/Porsche/audi but I must be wrong on that one.

Bmw wholly owns Mini.. they make the mini just like they made 320i's

In Korea, Hyundai wholly owns Kia, not sure what is going on with Daewoo and Hino

Infiniti is Nissan like Lexus is Toyota and Acura is Honda

Alfa Romeo... this one is a mystery to me... but I knew a guy who used to work for them a long time ago!

And I thought Maserati was owned by Chrysler, but that might have changed, like the relationship with Mitsubishi has recently, with the D-C merge.

RF

Old 08-20-2004, 08:47 AM
69SWB3004X4
Senior User
Datsun didn't go out of business, it just changed its name to Nissan in 1983.

The Mini, while built by BMW, uses a Chrysler engine.

Maybach is Mercedes uber-luxury line.

Hyundai and Kia are part of the same company.

TVR started is a separate entity that made its own bodies for years, but used engines from major manufacturers like Ford, MG, and Rover. I believe it started building its engines in-house in the mid-nineties.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:35 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
I believe hummer is called am general. Wonder if the general part is from gm.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:53 PM
FESCSteve
New User
AM General is a GM division. Not sure if it was designed that way or a purchase. When the military 'hummers' first arived, it was never mentioned (to my knowledge) that AM General was a GM division or the Hummer was built by a GM division. Only after 'Ahhhnold' managed to sway AM general into a civilian Hummer did they start to really become popular and then with the success of the H2 that GM started saying "Hey - lookie at us - we built that!".

Old 08-20-2004, 01:58 PM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
I'm thinking that Rolls Royce is a truly separate entity, though Bentley is VW. So is Porsche. The Cayenne is a glorified Toureg, the A4's are glorified Passats. The new Saturn truck (forget what it's called) is a GM, but is now using a Honda engine.

I think.

I thought that Ford was trying to buy out Fiat, or already did?

EDIT-Found something...there's actually a lot of stuff out there on this, you just need to check the date. This is the most recent I could find about RR and Bentley.

A Bentley by another owner is still elite

Published December 5, 2002

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

<!-- START LEAD -->If Abbott couldn't make Costello understand who's on first, imagine the problem he'd have trying to explain who owns Bentley and Rolls-Royce.

To simplify, Rolls-Royce and Bentley were one until 1998 when Vickers PLC, the owner of both, opted to sell.

<!-- END LEAD --><!-- START REST -->BMW made an offer, but Volkswagen trumped it and won Rolls-Royce and Bentley--almost. VW neglected to purchase the rights to the Rolls-Royce name, which BMW acquired, along with the rights to display the Rolls "Flying Lady" hood ornament.

What?

He's on second!

So, when the clock strikes Jan. 1, 2003, VW sells Bentleys, BMW sells Rolls-Royces.

To celebrate, VW/Bentley will unveil the Continental GT, the first vehicle to be offered since acquiring Bentley, and BMW/Rolls-Royce will unveil its first offering since acquiring the Rolls-Royce name and hood ornament at the Detroit Auto Show in January.

Bentley spokesman John Crawford insists the guiding principle behind each marque will be maintained under the new owners, that "Bentley is meant to be driven, Rolls to be driven in."

-Chicago Tribune

Last edited by jdmorg; 08-20-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Infinitiman
New User
A few gap fillers:

Alfa Romeo is owned by Fiat. Fiat controls all of Italy except for Lamborghini and Bugatti, which are owned by VW. Ferrari has a little bit of autonomy from Fiat though, and has a stake in Maserati too. Around 20% of Fiat is owned by GM.

Renault and Nissan own each other, although Renault owns more of Nissan than vice versa. Nissan owns Infiniti, and the rights to the Datsun name. Renault owns Mack truck and Samsung motors.

Hyundai owns Kia and some chinese automakers.

Daewoo was bought by GM. The Chevy Aveo is built in Korea in Daewoo's old plant. "American Revolution" indeed.

Toyota owns Daihatsu and Hino in addition to Lexus and Scion.

Ford only owns 33.4% of Mazda, but due to some legal quirk that's considered a controlling interest in Japan. GM only owns 20% of Subaru, but that's not enough to officially control them.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:41 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's making my brain hurt trying to remember who owns everybody else, so I'm not even going to try. GM sued over the Studebaker XUV, though, so I'm sure they have something to do with the Hummer H1.