Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2004, 12:33 AM
New User

FTK560 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation Acceleration problems

This is my second ford ranger, I just got a 1988 Ranger 2.9 auto for my wife. The problem I'm having is a bog down in mid acceleration. If you push harder on the throttle it picks up and runs fine. It doesn't miss it just bogs down. It does this on take off at times and at a steady cruising speed, it just comes out of nowhere and bogs down. I've changed the coolant temperature sensor, air filter, fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body, and changed plugs. There is no engine light coming on, and the fuel pressure is fine. I have no idea what to look for next. Please help me with some ideas. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Elder User

Vin 95 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Take it to auto zone and they will read the codes for free,the light does'nt have to be on for it to have pending codes.this is a good place to start.it sounds like you have an intermitant problem,coming and going.maybe you can find it before it goes out for good.however it may be something very simple.with these trucks it usually is.you say the fuel pressure is fine,did you try unpluging the vaccum hose to the pressure regulator with the truck running and see if the pressure came up by about 10psi ? and is there gas being sucked into the vaccum hose to the regulator?

Last edited by Vin 95; 08-20-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Postmaster

Dealford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome to FTE!
This Ranger being new to you should get a new fuel filter, just because, like all the other little things.
AL.
63 Fairlane, Gone to my buddy Chuck.
It Aint Fun Unless It's Done The Hard Way!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:08 PM