'67 F100 - No headlights, turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Chris Nikirk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'67 F100 - No headlights, turn signals

'67 F100 I just picked up . . .

Here's what electrical items work: engine, windshield wipers, radio, heater, rear running lights, back up lights, temp guage, and speedo light (sorta, bad rheostat).

Here's what electrical items do not work: head lights, turn signals, brake lights, and front running lights.

Any ideas? All the fuses are good. I hear clicking noises under the dash. ????

Last edited by Chris Nikirk; 08-19-2004 at 08:25 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about highbeam headlights?
Change the signal flasher just `cause they're cheap & do fail sometimes.
Pull the headlight switch & check the wiring plug for any signs of burnt or over heated wires. Use a test light to see if you are getting power to the plug. You may need to change the headlight switch also.
Changing the highbeam switch on the floor with a new one from Ford is a good idea. And, yes they are better than the aftermarket switches.
AL.

Old 08-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,676 Likes on 1,355 Posts
For the brake lights, check for voltage at the brake switch. One side should be hot, the other side should be hot when the pedal is pushed. If this all checks out, the next spot the brake signal goes to is the turnsignal switch. The power from the brakelight switch goes into the turnsignal switch, as does the flasher power. The turnsignal switch co-ordinates the brake signal and the flasher signal, since the rear turn and brake lights use the same filament in the rear bulbs.

Old 08-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Chris Nikirk
Senior User
You're right on, Al. I stomped the high beam switch several times and now the headlights come on low beam. And played and wiggled with the headlight switch and can get the parking lights to come on at the first detent but not the second with the headlights. The dash dimmer is completely worn. So two new parts there.

Awesome info, Dave. The brake switch must not be getting any power and thus the others down the line aren't getting it either. I think I saw that brake switch in the driver's side frame rail attached to a proportioning valve or y-block, right? Good place for a wire to come loose or get caught in something. When it gets light out again I'll go after it...

Thanks! You guys know these trucks.

Last edited by Chris Nikirk; 08-20-2004 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sure is great when a huge problem gets cut down to size, eh?
Aftermarket parts will get you by, but Ford quality parts will keep you going longer. Lessons learned the hard way tend to stick in your memory better!
AL.

Old 08-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Chris Nikirk
Senior User
Alright, headlights solved. The new switch and dimmer work perfectly, my instrument lights dim smoothly, and my dome light even works now. Soooooo . . . .

The brake switch isn't getting power. Where does that power come from??? Hmmmmm.

Old 08-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Franklin2
What color are the wires going to the stop switch? I don't have a diagram for your truck, but I am looking at one that may be close to it and it has a lightgreen/red feeding the switch, and a lightgreen leaving the switch going to the turnsignal switch.

The lightgreen/red wire that feeds the switch comes from a 15 amp fuse in the fuse box.

Old 08-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Chris Nikirk
Senior User
The two wires on the stop switch are red (constant 12v) and red w/black stripe (goes to brake lamps).

I verified this with an ohmmeter by checking the red/black wire with and without the rear bulbs plugged in. My problem is that red has no power, ever, no matter what. Going through old posts I'm starting to believe that the brake switch gets its power from the turn signal switch, right?

Old 08-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Franklin2
Normally the brake lights/turn signal bulbs get their power from the turnsignal switch. The brake switch itself should get it's power directly from the battery, via a fuse or fusible link. I wish I had a diagram to help you out.

Old 08-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Chris Nikirk
Senior User
Hey, thanks a ton. The headlight and dimmer switches were bad, so why shouldn't the turn signal switch be bad as well? I just need to find the bolts for my wheel puller . . .

Old 08-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Chris Nikirk
Senior User
Okay, now what? grrrrrrr

Alright, so the steering wheel is off and I removed the nuts. But I can't figure out how to get that switch out with the turn signal stalk still attached. What am I missing here? I'm going to go looking for pictures/instructions . . .

Old 08-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Franklin2
I have never worked on a truck like yours, but several of my old cars, including my 65 mustang have the turnsignal switch where the chrome lever unscrews from the switch. My mustang loosens from time to time and it's second nature to twist it a little to tighten it when I am driving.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Chris Nikirk
Senior User
Yep, you're exactly right. The flat part should have been a give away but I was afraid to start twisting without asking one of you guys. Okay . . . now for the magic question: where are the flashers in this thing???? I'm looking everywhere for the little cylindrical flashers like all my other cars and haven't found 'em. In a '67 is the flasher that big square thing mounted with two bolts behind a dash support? I see two wires going in and two going out. Is that it? I guess I could go jumper it and see if my hazards or directionals come on . . . I'll be back

Old 08-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Chris Nikirk
Senior User
Nope. Nada. WHERE ARE THE DANG FLASHERS ON A '67????

Jeez, I know the answer is in the forums somewhere, but darned if the model/year in the subject line is . . . .

Old 08-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Franklin2
67's should have the small metal or plastic cans floating around under there somewhere. You might find just a plug under there where it's supposed to go. That would explain why they don't work. Go up to the old truck forum and see if any of those guys with your year truck can tell you where it's supposed to be.

Quick Reply: '67 F100 - No headlights, turn signals