1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

three spead trans seals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Flaflathead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
three spead trans seals?

Hello everyone! Question, after I reinstall my engine (v-8 flathead) and trans (52 F-1), at the floor cover I will need to seal the floor shift to the floor plate. Mac's catalog shows an upper and lower seal. Of course, there is then the shift boot needed.

1. My question, the upper and lower seals, how are they installed? Under the floor plate and then on top with the shifter boot covering? Also, Mac's (if you have their catalog) shows a seal for a three speed and a four speed. The three speed upper and lower seals have a hole in the seal, just above the shifter "stick" hole. The photo shown in the catalog for the four speed has this hole covered? What would be the difference between the three speed seals and the four speed seals with the extra hole and or without?. By the photo's in the catalog, it appears that I need the four speed seals (no extra hole) for my three speed, as I do not need an extra hole in the seals.

Any comments about what I need and how to install? Thanks, Monte

Old 08-19-2004, 11:10 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
I have an older catalog, but what I see as upper and lower refers to the steering column bearings - not seals. What pages are you looking at?

There is no difference in the 3 or 4 spd trannies. Only difference is whether or not you have a column shift or floor shift tranny. Get the column to floor mat seal without the extra hole if you have a floor shifter. pn 7C-3513-A This goes on top of the floor mat. Under this is the multi-piece floor panel that fits around the column and pedals. There is also a thin foam seal that sandwiches between all the pieces. I can't find this seal in Mac's.

The tranny cover panel gets a cork seal around the outside perimeter where it rests on the floor pan. There is a thick foam seal that goes around the shift tower along with the shift boot before the cover panel is put in place.

Sacramento Vintage shows all these seals and the boot in black. ppg 85, 160 and 259

Last edited by mtflat; 08-19-2004 at 11:21 PM.