Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

94 Explorer Keyless Remote Receiver Location

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 12:44 AM
wigman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-17-2000, 07:13 AM
jkassab
New User

I have a 94 Explorer Eddie Baurer Edition. I was told that the receiver for the keyless remote is back in the jack compartment. What exactly would I be looking for. I see a black box and on the bottom is a white button that when I press it a red light comes on. Is it the receiver? I bought the truck used and they didn't have any remotes for it. I am assuming that it has keyless entry only because it is an Eddie Baurer. What would it look like and how would I program it myself. Thanks for the help.

Josh

Old 11-17-2000, 05:47 PM
AlM
Posting Guru

You can buy new keyless entry FOBs in ebay for about $10 to 20 each, complete with instructions.
Someone posted the following here about explorer keyless:
"According to the owner's guide, to reprogram transmitters, you have to place the key in the ignition ans switch from OFF to ON five times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds). After the doors lock/unlock, press any button on all transmitters (up to four). When completed, switch the ignition to OFF. All transmitters must be programmed at the same time. Good luck."

use the "search feature" on this page and look for "keyless"

good luck

Old 01-18-2004, 09:02 PM
genoflh
New User
'94 Explorer Remote Keyless Entry Help

I have a 94 Explorer LTD Edition. Which module in the jack compartment is the rke one? I see a black box and on the bottom is a white button that when I press it a red light comes on. Is it the receiver? I bought the truck used and they didn't have any remotes for it. I have a remote that should work but the key cycling doesnt do it, Can I reset it from the module itself and/or test the module? I have seen something about jumping terminals on the plug or module but not specific info. My ignition switch is a little flaky/worn so not sure if that is not letting the locks reset. Thanks for the help

Old 01-19-2004, 05:03 PM
katneric
Freshman User
The first gen Explorers will not program by using the key flipping method. There is a programming connection in the jack compartment that has two pins. Those two pins have to be jumped (bridged) by a piece of metal. I used a paperclip. When that happens the door locks will cycle indicating you are in programming mode, you then press ALL the buttons on the remote in any order and you are done. QED. I think I have one for sale if you need one. Hope that helps, Eric

Old 01-19-2004, 06:04 PM
genoflh
New User
Do you have a description of the connector like wire colors, or where in the jack compartment? I don't see any 2 wire connectors but lots of multwire ones...

Old 01-20-2004, 09:01 AM
genoflh
New User
Lightbulb '94 Explorer remote fixed!

I found this entry in another forum...IT WORKED
It's easy to reprogram your X's. First make sure you have the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) sending unit. Open the jack storage compartment on the driver's side of the cargo area. Look into the compartment and up and toward the front your truck. If you see a silver metal box, you're in luck! Now look for the "programming connector" (two quick-connect receptacle type connectors encased in a black or grey plastic case about the size of the tip of one your fingers). It will be hiding with the tail light connectors on the left of the windshield washer fluid reservoir with nothing connected to it. Turn your ignition to ON or accessories and stick a open, V-shaped paper clip into the metal connectors to momentarily short them together. You will see (and hear) your locks cycle. Now just press a button on your key fob (the signal is recorded or "programmed") Good Luck!

Old 11-02-2022, 08:14 PM
ronburgendy13
2nd Gear
Were you successful?

[did you complete the programming of a key fob? I see the light and button but no wires to jump?

Old 11-07-2022, 12:48 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Is your Explorer a 1994 or a different model year? Also, do you know for certain that your Explorer has factory installed remote keyless entry?

-Rod

Old 11-08-2022, 08:30 AM
ronburgendy13
2nd Gear
Yes it’s a 94. It came with factory power locks. Not sure about the “keyless” entry box.

Old 11-09-2022, 01:06 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
The service manual indicates the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) module is located on the driver's side rear quarter panel. I've not owned a 1994, the oldest I had was a 1999. If I recall correctly though, the 1999 also had the RKE module mounted in the left rear of the cargo area. The module was mounted pretty much above the driver's rear wheel well, behind the plastic panel in the cargo area. There was an access panel that had to be removed, then using a flashlight I could look towards the front of the vehicle and see the RKE module.

-Rod

Old 11-09-2022, 11:19 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
The following image should make it a bit clearer where the module and programming connector is located.

Location of RKE module on 1994 Explorer

From the factory service manual:

To program (or re-program) transmitter(s) into the remote entry receiver module, perform the following steps:

1. Turn ignition switch to ON or ON/ACCESSORY position and momentarily short the two terminals of the Program Connector (J4) (a two-pin connector taped to the wire assembly and accessed by removing the LH quarter access panel). All doors should lock then unlock. Remove shorting pin.

2. Press any button on transmitter. All doors should lock then unlock to verify the transmitter has been programmed. If door locks do not respond, press button again (up to three times maximum with the same transmitter). If door locks still fail to respond, go to «Pinpoint Test F» .

3. Repeat Step 2 to program additional transmitters into the remote entry receiver module (up to four transmitters maximum).

4. Turn ignition switch off. All doors should lock then unlock.

5. Check operation.