Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Honda Making a Full-Size Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Honda Making a Full-Size Truck?

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this? I don't know if it is even true I am just wondering. If so, how would this affect the "Big 3"? Now go play!

-Matt

Old 08-19-2004, 04:57 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Honda currently make a pickup at all?

Old 08-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
No they don't. I am just wondering if they are going to get into the market seeing as Nissan has gotten "here".

-Matt

Old 08-19-2004, 05:02 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I've never had a problem with Nissan pickups. Years ago my Dad owned one and never had a problem. I don't think it was a huge jump for Nissan to build a full-size pickup since they have made pickups for years. I think it is a huge jump for Honda since I can't ever recall seeing one Honda pickup. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Smaug
Posting Guru
Honda is coming out w/ a 4 dr that will be in the same class as the Sport Trac. Here's a pic

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/e...3/img/hondasut

Old 08-19-2004, 06:47 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

That's ugly! Looks like a miniature Avalanche. And, where are you supposed to put the wing??

Old 08-19-2004, 08:09 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I very much doubt Honda wouuld build a pick-up (although I am willing to stand corrected if required), and if they do I will be very disappointed. Hondas engines have traditionally been of small capacity/high technology/low fuel consumption, and able to rev to the sky, not really what you want in a truck, when bottom end torque in critical. Honda makes and has made some fantastic engines, but none that are suitable for a truck. Also I would be unsure whether it would fit into their brand image (something I have noticed Honda is pretty concious of). Honda in Australia is a "semi-luxury" brand and building a truck would work against all the effort they have made to make it a "luxury" brand, as it would (hate to say this) "cheapen" the brand.
Also I imagine that they would not sell that many vehicles.
It has been proven over time that with commercial vehicles such as these, new brands take a long time to gain market acceptance, and therefore market share. I am sure that Fords market share in the truck segment isn't just due to the reputation it has earned over the years for reliability/performance etc. but it has a fair bit to do with it.
Again if Honda were to build a truck they would alienate their current vehicle owners. A lot of people will buy a small Honda quite proudly because it isn't a truck, or an SUV, if that same company were to release a vehicle that completely opposes the reasoning behind your car purchase, it would make that owner less likely to purchase their next car from them.

To put it simplely.
If Ford were to release a small 2 door 4 seat car with a 1.2l engine that sounded like a fart in a fishtank and was made in South East Asia somewhere, would your opinion of Ford as a brand (not just Ford Trucks, but Ford as a whole) be reduced?

Old 08-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Smaug
Posting Guru
Well, Honda is going to release it in early 05 as an 06 model. It's going to have a 3.5L V6. Not gonna be a 'real' truck though.

http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider...x.cfm?id=13703

torque is 242ftlbs@4500

Last edited by Smaug; 08-19-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:52 PM
fredjeep
Freshman User
Honda is indeed building a "pickup" type ...vehicle. It will probably be called the Havasu. It is a four door with a small open ...bed. It will be based on the Odyssey/Pilot/MDX platform. It is powered by Honda's fantastic 3.5L 240-260 hp V6 shifting through Honda's 5 speed auto. It will use the Pilot/MDX VTM-4 four wheel drive system, which is a front wheel drive based system that puts power to the rear wheels as needed. It will have an MPG in the 17/22 range.

It is not a "real truck" however. It will not have a big payload or tow rating. It has four wheel independent suspension tuned for Honda's typical ride/handling target. It is the truck for the guy who needs to get a couple of bags of mulch home from Lowe's without worring about messing up the inside of his wife's Odyssey.

I would not expect seeing this thing on the trail or pulling a big boat anytime soon. I would not buy one, but it will sell, and sell well, like most Hondas. I look for it to arrive in my showroom in the next few months.

Last edited by fredjeep; 08-19-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:05 AM
TrunkSlammer
Senior User
Oh, its not that "ugly". Still looks better then some other trucks currently on the road

Old 08-20-2004, 12:35 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Well looks like I stand corrected already, but I doubt they will ever build a full size pick up.

Old 08-20-2004, 01:00 AM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beast12
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this? I don't know if it is even true I am just wondering. If so, how would this affect the "Big 3"? Now go play!

-Matt
As for affecting the Big 3 I don't think it would matter a whole lot. The Toyota Tunda is the best foreign rival thus far but I don't think it has affected Big 3 sales severely. They just need to bring the old Land Cruiser diesel engine back new and improved for that bad chicken. Or maybe get a contract to use someone elses diesel? I like the looks of the Jeep Liberty diesel they are borrowing from Mercedes but they are subsidiaries so no need for a contract there.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:51 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
I don't think it will bother the market, I think that the truck market is growing, and there will be enough buyers for it that don't take away from other truck sales. First time truck owners, older people who need a truck but want a car and don't want a Chevy, teenagers, just in general, more people are buying trucks.

Old 08-20-2004, 10:36 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
So if Honda sells this "pickup" and calls it a SUT for Sport Utility Truck, will the Acura Luxury version be a Sport Luxury Utility Truck?

"Hey, nice **** you're drivin' there."

I know, I'm repeating myself.....

Old 08-21-2004, 01:28 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Yeah, and finally, the Avalanche will have a market competitor.

Quick Reply: Honda Making a Full-Size Truck?