Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Front Plates... again...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:18 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Plates... again...

Well guys we had a few posts a while back about front plates, some petition deal and such and such about that. Discussions about whether they were were mandatory in the front, and whether or not they enforced it. WELL>>>

On my trip to Colorado last week I got to around San Angelo and got pulled over... for speeding. He also gave me a warning for no front plate. He was nice I guess.. could have nailed me with a ticket for that. So I continued on my trip (no longer speeding ) and no kidding... about 5 minutes later I got pulled over again. I almost peed in my pants, but I didn't think I was speeding. Sure enough for the front plate. I showed the guy the warning and he said ok. Well he also told me that my rear plate was causing a problem. I had a rack on the back hitch with an icechest and BBQ pit, which was blocking the rear plate. opps. I didn't even think about it. He told me it wasn't a big deal, but to move the plate to the rack if I had a chance. I said sure and left. Then about an hour or so later I was driving and a cop passed on the oppostie side. Sure enough he turned around and pulled me over. By this time I knew the drill and explained that I was already stopped twice for the front plate and got a warning, and about what the last cop said about the rear plate. He said ok and told me also to move the plate when I had a chance.

On the way back I moved the rear plate and zip-stripped it to the rear rack so it was visible, and luckily was never puleld over on the way home. Needless to say the front plate is now on my new front bumper

SOOO a reminder to those who are running without a front plate, you better get them on. By the way, it isn't just the State Troopers taking notice, my father was stopped in Taft, Texas and given a warning, and my brother was stopped in College Station and also given a warning. One of the Officers explained to me that they are having a big push to enforce this now, it was part of that deal that came into effect last September 1st about no dealer or novelty frames around the plates that cover the word "texas". So if they wern't enforcing it before, they ARE now!

Old 08-19-2004, 04:16 PM
brokebronco
Posting Guru
At least you didn't get ticketed for it. I always figured running without a front plate was just asking for cop trouble.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:52 PM
79driver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
were you actually in San angelo? they will stop you for anything there. ask 04LariatSuperCrew, he lives there. They especialy go after small nit-picky things like lights, wide tires w/o fender flares, ect. What is so stupid is i used to live there and there are plenty of real crime they should be going after besides things like that.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:59 PM
subliminaldanger
Elder User
When i lived in San Angelo, I dont remember much crime outside of my Grandmother not taking her meds. Did you know either JB or Joe hoover? They owned a pool hall in town.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:18 PM
79driver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IT has gotten alot worse since i moved. 04LariatSuperCrew go's to Central HS and he says it pretty bad (gang bangers and stuff). The part of town i lived in wasnt that bad (south of Loop 306 by the mall, lived on rockbrook) I moved about 4 years ago though

Old 08-26-2004, 08:18 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
Now my sister got a ticket for it today on her Audi. Don't say you wern't warned.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:54 PM
GolferSA
Elder User
In texas you need to display both a front and rear license plate... effective 09/2003 there was a new ordinance passed about license plate frames that obscure any of the lettering on the plate, and plastic covers over the entire license plate.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:19 AM
ol yeller
Elder User
new law

heard it was so they'd have another reason to pull you over.

Old 09-12-2004, 12:27 AM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
and make more money

Old 09-12-2004, 12:39 PM
GolferSA
Elder User
Actually (I can hear the already, but it's the truth) it was at the request of Homeland Security after 9-11. All states were asked to comply (at the risk of losing federal highway dollars, of course)... they want a clear view of the plates on the toll road and border crossing readers, in order to track people of interest. George Orwell's vision has come to fruition.

That and the money thing too... some of the lp frames and covers are anti-radar, DPS doesn't like that kinda thing.

Originally Posted by ol yeller
heard it was so they'd have another reason to pull you over.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:22 PM
retired2001
Elder User
Front Plate!

Originally Posted by GolferSA
Actually (I can hear the already, but it's the truth) it was at the request of Homeland Security after 9-11. All states were asked to comply (at the risk of losing federal highway dollars, of course)... they want a clear view of the plates on the toll road and border crossing readers, in order to track people of interest. George Orwell's vision has come to fruition.

That and the money thing too... some of the lp frames and covers are anti-radar, DPS doesn't like that kinda thing.
I had not heard of the "Homeland Security" portion, but had heard that the cameras @ toll roads were having problems with the 'plate frames. I just wish the front plate hanger was not so flimsy.

Old 09-13-2004, 08:55 AM
ol yeller
Elder User
whoa

In kansas they don't have this law. Heck there and tenn they don't even tag the trailers. It's def the money thing. any good tx trooper can tell a tx plate at 200 yards weather it has a texas showing or not.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:30 AM
william_ace
Senior User
in missouri you dont have to run a rear plate if your truck is 3/4 ton or over. how bout that jazz, they figure if you get a truck like that then there will be a trailor behind it. hmmmmmmm

Old 09-13-2004, 05:54 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by retired2001
I had not heard of the "Homeland Security" portion, but had heard that the cameras @ toll roads were having problems with the 'plate frames. I just wish the front plate hanger was not so flimsy.
I didn't like the location or strength of my front hanger so I made a new one and mounted it 2" higher (picture in my gallery).
Dono

Old 09-13-2004, 06:06 PM
F150'89
Senior User
No front plate in Arkansas