Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Mid-sized Ford truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Stanstruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid-sized Ford truck?

With Chevy with their new Colorado and DC with its Dakota, does anyone think Ford will come out with a mid-sized truck?
I think with the market share they have, the other folks are just trying to catch up and Ford won't have a mid-sized truck...

...but I've been wrong before!

Stan

Old 08-03-2004, 03:52 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I consider the Ranger to be a mid-sized truck. CLICK HERE for a comparison of the Ranger, Dakota, Colorado, and Tacoma. The Ranger has the same wheelbase as the Colorado and the Dakota is slightly larger.

I consider there to be 3 different classes of trucks, but some vehicles don't fit in those classes. They are:

Full-Size: F Series, Silverado, Sierra, Ram, and Titan

Mid-Size: Ranger, Canyon, and Colorado

Compact: Tacoma

The trucks that don't fit into these classes are the Dakota and the Tundra. The Dakota is a "Large-Mid-Size" pickup, and the Tundra is a near full-size pickup (7/8 scale). I don't think Ford will add anything between the Ranger and F150.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:59 PM
BrianJ77
Senior User
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
I consider the Ranger to be a mid-sized truck. CLICK HERE for a comparison of the Ranger, Dakota, Colorado, and Tacoma. The Ranger has the same wheelbase as the Colorado and the Dakota is slightly larger.

I consider there to be 3 different classes of trucks, but some vehicles don't fit in those classes. They are:

Full-Size: F Series, Silverado, Sierra, Ram, and Titan

Mid-Size: Ranger, Canyon, and Colorado

Compact: Tacoma

The trucks that don't fit into these classes are the Dakota and the Tundra. The Dakota is a "Large-Mid-Size" pickup, and the Tundra is a near full-size pickup (7/8 scale). I don't think Ford will add anything between the Ranger and F150.
Yes, the Tacoma is roughly the same truck as it was in the late 80's and is considered compact. However, there is a new Tacoma on the horizon that is set to put a lot of heat on the Colorado and Dakota. I think it may even sport a V-8!

Old 08-03-2004, 04:02 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I think the heat would be on the Ranger, not the Colorado or Dakota. Ford sells more Rangers than any other truck in its class.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:23 PM
P51D Mustang
Elder User
GM should have learned from the Dakota that these in between trucks don't do any one thing very well. The Dakota, gets the same gas milege as a full sized 1/2 ton, but it's less capable. What's the point in that?

Old 08-05-2004, 06:14 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
I don't think Ford will add anything between the Ranger and F150.
That would be the perfect place for a new era F-100. Basically take the average of the Ranger and F-150's sizes and you'd have a new F-100

Throw a 4.6L with 3v technology in it, the gas engine special Torqueshift 5-spd, and you'd have a Dakota killer.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Delta
Senior User
I wouldn't consider a Tacoma a compact. The bed is as big (actually longer) as the Ranger and has the same if not more payload. I didn't believe it until I measured the beds because the Tacoma looks smaller.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:45 PM
mainer0311
Freshman User
The new Tacoma should be here 2005-06. It is going to be the same size as the canyons. I am not sure about a V-8 But Toyota did get a diesel aproved by the U.S so it might have a diesel in aswell. The diesel might also be for a small car. My 2000 Tacoma has a 6ft bed and is an EX cab. I am 6'4" and it fits me fine. so I wouldn't consider it a compact truck.

Old 08-07-2004, 12:52 AM
chaseface84
Senior User
does anyone know anything about a 4 door ranger, cause i swear ive seen 2 of them in the last 2 months 1 was in california and one was here in flagstaff AZ

Old 08-07-2004, 06:04 AM
ItsReallyDarren
Senior User
Originally Posted by chaseface84
does anyone know anything about a 4 door ranger, cause i swear ive seen 2 of them in the last 2 months 1 was in california and one was here in flagstaff AZ
The closest thing that comes to mind of a 4 door ranger is a Explorer sport trac. They both are built on the same frame, only difference is that the sport trac resembles more of the Explorer than Ranger.

Old 08-07-2004, 07:43 AM
BrianJ77
Senior User
Originally Posted by mainer0311
The new Tacoma should be here 2005-06. It is going to be the same size as the canyons. I am not sure about a V-8 But Toyota did get a diesel aproved by the U.S so it might have a diesel in aswell. The diesel might also be for a small car. My 2000 Tacoma has a 6ft bed and is an EX cab. I am 6'4" and it fits me fine. so I wouldn't consider it a compact truck.
Now that's something I'm interested in: a diesel powered Tacoma. Where did you obtain this information?

I am 6'1" and my regular cab 2wd Tacoma fits me fine, too. However, it is still a compact truck by definition even though it can haul a lot of weight (and yes, I have tested it). I do know that my Tacoma has a lot smoother ride than the Ranger. I rode in my friend's Ranger and felt like I was getting beat to death! My little Tacoma is nice and smooth. I also beat his Ranger in a friendly race one afternoon Who says four bangers don't have any power?

Old 08-07-2004, 02:36 PM
chaseface84
Senior User
Originally Posted by ItsReallyDarren
The closest thing that comes to mind of a 4 door ranger is a Explorer sport trac. They both are built on the same frame, only difference is that the sport trac resembles more of the Explorer than Ranger.
Nope this one had a ranger front end, it looked like about the 2000 ranger front end not the new ones

Old 08-07-2004, 03:32 PM
mainer0311
Freshman User
I am not sure about the diesel powered tacoma. All I know is that toyota has a diesel engine in the us.....I dont no if it will be for the cars or the trucks......I also read that duramax and chevy are almost up with the contract.....and That toyota was going to sign with duramax.......I think I read the thing about duramax in a 4 wheeling mag......but I got the info on the toyota diesel somewere on WWW.tdiclub.COM. Like I said before i am not sure if it will be for a truck or a car. But if the duramax thing works out then toyota will have a enigne for the new tacoma and tundra. I would like to see a toyota diesel truck here in the U.S. And they do fly, I have a 91 2wd that will leave rubber in all 5 gears.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
I wonder what Chevy will use for a diesel. I bet they either go back to Detroit or find a way to put the 7.2L Cat in their trucks. Then I might actually buy a Chevy. Maybe.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:25 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
That 7.2 Cat won't fit in any pickup truck. Ford offers it as an option in the F650/750.

Quick Reply: Mid-sized Ford truck?