1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Assemble or paint first...the answer is?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Assemble or paint first...the answer is?

(At least for me) Without a doubt, assemble and then paint. I have been very, very careful and still found plenty of ways to scratch and ding the primer. Had I gone with my first plan, to paint everything in parts and then assemble, I am absolutely certain my results would have been very disappointing.

As Fenders (I think) said, in a previous post on a similar topic, proper front-end alignment should be based on the hood to cab alignment. Most of my problems stemmed from the fact that a different radiator support cross member had to be fabricated and installed because of a frame change, but even with all the measuring and re-measuring I still failed to get it just right. The bottom of the radiator support is, as far as sheet metal is concerned, the most critical alignment point in the entire front end.

To anyone doing front-end modifications, I would encourage you to be as precise with this measurement as you are with where you make your first cut in your front clip install then allow your support to drop well below the point you think is correct…you can always shim it up!

Last edited by Huntsman; 08-17-2004 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to prime paint but no clear coat. Then assemble when finished I am going to do the last coats to give a scratch free finish coat.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:04 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I like to make sure all of the parts fit properly first, do all of the body work, then take apart, prime with epoxy primer, edge all mating surfaces with paint. I then bolt as much together as possible and paint each panel separately while they are hanging on the truck. I scuff the paint overspray with a scotch pad to smooth it out before final painting. This way I have found I can avoid scratching fresh paint. If I scratch the primered pieces it is a lot easier to touch up the primer, and cheaper too.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:19 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Huntsman

Ya, like I'm the guy to ask. Here is the correct procedure.

1. Do bodywork for 2 years
2. Paint
3. Sand runs out of hood and front fenders
4. Repaint and buff to perfection
5. Attempt in vain to adjust fiberglass, while chipping paint
6. Take pictures and make FTE truck of the week (great for the EGO)
7. Sell fiberglass parts and buy new steel fenders, running boards
8. Install fenders and scratch paint again while adjusting front clip
9. Buy more paint and paint inside edges of panels only.
10. Assemble and paint front clip
11. Install tilt hood kit
12. Buy new bed
13. Buy more paint

Definitely pre-assemble, especially if you have changed any significant body parts. Pay attention to front clip and door alignment. I like to paint all the panel edges first, assemble and paint as much as possible.

And there are definitely some areas on the truck that are not very easy to get good coverage on if you completely assemble first. Panels that can be pre-painted completely and installed fairly easy later without scratching are; rear fenders, grill, tailgate, runningboards. And that's just about it as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:25 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
you going to them meetings ???

Fenders...
reading your '13 step program' you're beginning to sound like another guy I know... infact I use his underwear.

seems you're backing up a great deal and doing things over.... am I rubbing off on you ?????

later...

j

btw... I plan on painting then assembling finished product... after all the fit up is confirmed...

Old 08-17-2004, 09:55 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently at this stage of the " TYMNBUX" test project for those of you following. I do not have the time ( Sickness) or strength to do things more than once on this effort. I have a very detailed plan of attack. I have done past builds both ways, but this one the plan is a bit different. All the hidden or hard to reach parts will be painted along with the door jambs and dash and all loose pieces .
The truck will then be assembled and then painted as a single unit so the metallics in the paint will match in the sun. The painter likes the plan as we can both stay busy ( I will wire the cab while he reworks the clip,I will wire the clip while he paints the bed insides) and the job will be top notch.
I still say do it however you like and filts your time and budget. Have fun

Old 08-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Purple55
Tuned
Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts
Yah,well I'm not Joe Painter either,but, being that this was my first real paint experience, and the fact that my 2 car garage is kinda small for a full paint job, I opted to paint 1 or 2 pieces at a time, perfecting my procedures as I went along.
I started with the front bumper and grille back in January(I think) and just finished with the back bumper and tailgate.
This allowed me,with relative ease, to repair any runs,and sand and buff as needed.
So far I haven't had any real catastrophes installing the painted pieces and they all match colorwise.
I think I'd do it again.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:48 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
Fenders...
reading your '13 step program' you're beginning to sound like another guy I know... infact I use his underwear.

seems you're backing up a great deal and doing things over.... am I rubbing off on you ?????

later...

j

btw... I plan on painting then assembling finished product... after all the fit up is confirmed...
Yes, your twisted methods have rubbed off on me real bad. If I had known it would take me as long as it did, I would have been able to purchase some new parts that I knew weren't going to meet the longterm standard. Thank God for ebay. I was able to sell most of my decent leftovers and keep the total budget reasonable.

'fenders

Aren't buyin that last sentence are ya? Hope you understand. If I tell you guys something different than my wife I get all confused under cross examination.