1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anybody use a Volare Stearing Column?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 04:40 PM
56Jeff
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody use a Volare Stearing Column?

Anybody use the Volare stearing column with volare Clip install?

Or simply asked.. Why won't the Volare stearing column work on a Volare Front clip install? I've not seen anybody ask this yet. If I was guessing I would say it was the length? Heck I don't know, I hope to pick up my Volare Front clip Wednesday AM, and look for a stearing column at that time.

Any last words of wisdom before I start cutting and welding??

We're Moving Forward

56Jeff

PS. Playing golf Tuesday AM. 4, 4, 4

Old 08-16-2004, 06:41 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my "volare" steering column in case I do want to use it, but I'm a little concerned about the availability of custom steering steering wheels to fit it, plus I haven't checked the length of it yet either....

Old 08-16-2004, 07:12 PM
56Jeff
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting..

That thought never even came close to my mind. Is the hole and nut size going to be a problem? I just may get the column out of the Junk yard and see.
Stay tuned, I will post my findings. Unless someone else has already done it.
If So, Chime in..

56Jeff

Old 08-17-2004, 08:11 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=56Jeff]Anybody use the Volare stearing column with volare Clip install?

Or simply asked.. Why won't the Volare stearing column work on a Volare Front clip install? I've not seen anybody ask this yet. If I was guessing I would say it was the length? Heck I don't know, I hope to pick up my Volare Front clip Wednesday AM, and look for a stearing column at that time.

Any last words of wisdom before I start cutting and welding??

We're Moving Forward

56Jeff

Jeff,

I have an 87 Chrysler 5th Avenue steering column "loosely" installed into my 48 F-3 with T-bar front suspension. The length is perfect for my 48 and any custom steering wheel can be used with an adapter. If you intend to use the column shifter, you will need to cut the shifter arm off and weld it back on to the opposite side since the Chrysler shifter mechanism was on the left side of the column. Also, the 87 column does not have a neutral safety switch since it is located within the transmission itself. Finally, if you use the Chrysler wiring like I did, you will find that the tail and brake lights must be wired separately. It is not really a rodder-friendly column. If I had it to do over, I think I'd go with a GM or Ford column.

Vern

Old 08-17-2004, 08:25 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
When I bought my truck it had the Mopar column. Worked just fine. I didn't care for the look and bought a Flaming River eventually.