Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Cruise Control Not Working/Indicator Light Burnt

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2000, 05:45 PM
dzenizo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1997 4D 2WD 5.0L EFI XLT Explorer. Recently (and I don't know which came first), the cruise control is no longer working AND the indicator lamp, located on the left side of the hub of the steering wheel, and which is a twist type incandescent bulb that fits in a hole in the printed circuit board, burnt out.
The reason I didn't noticed before is that I do most of the driving in the city streets, so there wasn't a need for cruise control, and then I had to make a long trip and that's when I noticed the Cruise Control wasn't working.
I don't know if the two are related; I can speculate that to prevent engaging the cruise control without noticing it, IF the light bulb is open (and therefore unable to indicate), there's some kind of a current detector that disable the cruise control.
One problem is that I haven't been able to find a replacement lightbulb; I've look for it in the dealership, spare parts stores, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Online spare parts stores, Sylvania and Philips distributors, etc.
Question 1: Could this be the problem (Burnt Bulb) with the Cruise Control?
Question 2: Is there a procedure to diagnose the C.C.?
Question 3: Where I can find this lamp AND/OR what's the part number?

Old 10-12-2000, 10:39 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First check the cruise control fuse , the linkages from the control servo to the throttle body too . Some other possibilities include a short in the cruise control circuit , switch , faulty brake switch , faulty speed sensor , or the cruise control module itself . Any recent repairs , service work done ?

Old 11-19-2000, 10:06 AM
96exp
New User

Hello,
I had the same problem with the illumination on my cruise control switches of my 96 Explorer XLT. The bulb has nothing to do with your cruise control working or not since my cruise worked just fine w/o the illumination. My suggestion is to go to eBay and search for Explorer manuals. I bought an original 1996 Ford Explorer manual on CD for $40 that has some excellent troubleshooting sections. A must have.

The bulb p/n is E5RY13466BA. It took me about 10 phones calls around the West coast to find this p/n. I then called my local dealer and ordered them. I had to buy 5 at $5 a piece. Oh no, I couldn't order just one! Also, you have to solder the new bulb in. If you look very closely you'll see two small wires that are soldered on to the metal cage that the bulb fits into. It's a fairly delicate soldering job but can be done. You'll also need to epoxy the bulb into the base.

Good luck,
Carter

Old 11-21-2000, 08:56 AM
dzenizo
New User

Hi Mr. Carter!

I really appreciate your response. I'll do as suggested.

Thank you so much.

Old 02-10-2001, 08:18 PM
borland
Senior User

On my 95 Explorer, I just pulled my switch apart (the cruise switch on the passenger side of the steering wheel). It's real easy to get apart once you pull off the rubber touch pad, but be careful.

What I found was a sub-miniature circuit board bulb, of the twist in, twist out variety. That is it is a serviceable part that is removed by a 6mm socket wrench, and a quarter turn of the wrench. The bulb assemble is labeled "ALBA" (the manufacturer). Like Carter was saying, the bulb is glued into the assembly, so you might break it getting it out. There is also a rubberized blue filter covering the lamp glass. I wasn't able to get a similar bulb at the auto parts store, they were too long to provide a similar fit.

The assembly looks similar to the miniature lamps behind the instrument cluster, so I wonder I ford has a similar lamp that I can use with the blue filter cover. Good luck!!!

Old 02-11-2001, 04:43 PM
chriscu
New User