General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Stupid Olympic events

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 05:14 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Stupid Olympic events

Why even bother...

Waterpolo
Synchronized Swimming
Badminton
Canoe/ Kayak - Slalom
Canoe / Kayak Sprint
Football
Handball
Hockey (!?)
Sailing
Shooting
Softball (baseball, too, for that matter...)
Table Tennis
Volleyball - any type... (and to think, I live in the Volleyball capitol of the US!)

These are the blatant ones. There are others, like Judo, that I question being an Olympic event.

What do you think? Am I being too harsh or are these stupid events?

Old 08-16-2004, 05:20 AM
bootie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
syncronised drowning you mean - nah i see your point i disagree with some of your choices but for me the olympics is about individual performance - not team sports - a lot of those team sports have their own world comp anyway and i think the olympics should get back to its origins - track and field, swimming, ( i'd let rowing, kayaking and sailing in cos they have some measure of competition that could have been played out in greco roman times) all forms of fighting (that includes your judo)(why do u question judo??) shooting and archery all thats still in its just the team sports like basketball and softball (i mean thats the ***** version of baseball isn't it?)

Maybe we could bring back chariot racing and gladitorial combats - then i might start watching again

Old 08-16-2004, 05:33 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
I don't know...I couldn't care less about the olympics. However, one that I think definately has to go is synchronized swimming. If that sport(?) is allowed, then why not square dancing, hula hoop or pogo stick competition? Also, if they allow sailing, then why not unlimited hydroplane racing? If they had motor sports...I'd watch. I'd love to see drag racing and tractor pulling in the olympics. Don't you think if the ancient Greeks had that technology that they would have included motor sports? It's my understanding that the ancient athletes performed in the nude. Now, if they were still required to do that...I'd watch for sure! Can you just picture yourself sitting there in your recliner...beer in-hand...watching a 350 lb. nude Bulgarian woman going for the gold in the hula hoop competition? Now THAT'S entertainment!

MR

Old 08-16-2004, 05:58 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrOldV8
However, one that I think definately has to go is synchronized swimming. If that sport(?) is allowed, then why not square dancing, hula hoop or pogo stick competition? MR
HEY!!! Synchronized swimming is just as much a sport as Figure skating!
(LOL )
Just kidding. I don't think either of them should be considered a sport. The one I'd like to swee them do away with is basketball. I mean, Olympic sports should not include professional athletes. Why should an NBA player be allowed to p[lay for his own country, just because he isn't a pro there? Professional is professional. It shouldn't matter that it is a different country, if you get paid to play, you shouldn't be in the Olympics! Judo is interesting, though. So is the fencing. Maybe because I don't fully understand them, they just fascinate me.

Old 08-16-2004, 08:19 AM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
they should include surfing...it's a pretty worldwide sport and would make for good US competition. I guess the hardest thing would obivously getting the venue, needing waves and all, but still, I'd watch it

Old 08-16-2004, 09:50 AM
John Russell
Senior User
Here's a change I would like to see!

After watching the coverage from Greece for two and a half days, there is something I truly would like to see.
How about a country that SUPPORTS the events??? I do not remember ever tuning in and seeing so many empty seats at all venues! Geez, if the people of Greece don't care to attend, and the Olympic committee is now planning to flood the countryside with free tickets for the locals to fill up the stands just to make it look like they care, the people that have paid a premium for tickets should be due a refund!
This bothers me more than some of these kind of funky events.
Just my .02 cents worth.
John Russell

Old 08-16-2004, 09:55 AM
free90xlt
Junior User
I absolutely agree that waterpolo has no place in an Olympic Competition. I watched a few minutes of it last night and all I can say is ......... nothing.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Next Olympics..... Bowling & Cribbage will be added

Old 08-16-2004, 10:06 AM
quarterhorsemom
Senior User
I agree about the stupid sports. I think all listed above should go away. But I do not understand how in the Heck you could leave off RIBBON DANCING? Is that about the lamest sport ever?
Football has the superbowl, baseball the world series. Are golf, bowling and frisbee next to be admitted? Softball has absolutely no place in the olympics and seeing basket ball in there miffs me off. Its no longer the olympics its the great world sport off.
I enjoy the equine events as they are but now there is reining, bull riding etc possibly barrel racing. Gone too far.
Lets get back to the way it used to be. maybe after these posts they will make a survey to see what to keep and what to send off w3ith nothing more but a se ya later..
People are not as up on the summer olympics anymore because they have added all the garbage. Can you blame them for the seats being empty? As for beach volleyball if they want the crowds to increase I think they should make the court in mud, the guys will come out in droves.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:07 AM
quarterhorsemom
Senior User
If we could host redneck olympics what sports do you think they would have?

Old 08-16-2004, 10:15 AM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by John Russell
After watching the coverage from Greece for two and a half days, there is something I truly would like to see.
How about a country that SUPPORTS the events??? I do not remember ever tuning in and seeing so many empty seats at all venues! Geez, if the people of Greece don't care to attend, and the Olympic committee is now planning to flood the countryside with free tickets for the locals to fill up the stands just to make it look like they care, the people that have paid a premium for tickets should be due a refund!
This bothers me more than some of these kind of funky events.
Just my .02 cents worth.
John Russell
I agree John. I've watched a couple events and couldn't believe the number of empty seats. What gives?

Monsta, some of the sports you mention are crazy and shouldn't be Olympic sports, but I think shooting definitely should be included.

Old 08-16-2004, 11:01 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Originally Posted by quarterhorsemom
If we could host redneck olympics what sports do you think they would have?

"who could get the dead Chevy truck up on blocks in the front yard first." would be one of them.

MR

Old 08-16-2004, 11:15 AM
sandrat
Posting Guru
Distance Skoal Spitting, Competitive Beer Drinking, I'd watch those Redneck Olympic Events....

Old 08-16-2004, 11:25 AM
fn250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of these events are just sad ... I mean Badminton, and Table Tennis, yet they don't recognize skate boarding, surfing, or moto X, I guess cuz we just had the X-Games here in LA. Some of the X-games participants are incredible, and get little to no recognition from the outside world, yet we have table tennis, and badminton

Old 08-16-2004, 11:28 AM
redneckbronco
Senior User
I will agree on the Olympics I have no intrest in it anymore. But the redneck thing sounds pretty cool. How bout frog giging or horse shoe pitching. lol

Quick Reply: Stupid Olympic events