New Truck and some quetions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 12:04 AM
micwal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Truck and some quetions

First let me start by saying I have read the stickies at the top of the forum.

I just purchased a 2002 long bed 150 xt with a 4.2, 5 speed and a 373 rear. It has about 50k miles on it. It was a friend's who is getting sent to Iraq with the Marines. This is my 1st Ford product in 15 years. I just sold a VW Golf TDI so this is a new world to me.

What should I look for problems in the truck down the road? The previous owner took pretty good care of the truck, regular oil changes, etc. He used regular name brand oil and did not change the plugs or wires yet.

1. Have there been any oiling issues with this motor?

2. Are there any gasket/coolant issues to be concerned about?

3. Any sensor/electronic/injector/emissions component issues?

This is commuter vehicle and I intend to run synthetic oil, Redline gearbox oil (if the truck doesn’t take ATF on the trans), and Redline synthetic gear oil for the differential.

4. Is there anything else I can do to eek out better MPG from this truck? Exhaust or Intake mods? My past car was getting about 50 MPG, although it was a nuisance to haul mulch in it.

Thanks for your patience with another newbie.

Old 08-15-2004, 05:34 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
MAC Cold Air Intake will give you 12.6 HP and a flowmaster exhaust would be the first two engine mods I would do..

With this truck you will probbly get on average in the high teens for mpg, just a little different than 50 haha

Old 08-15-2004, 07:08 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE and the 4.2 forum!
Here's my thoughts....
1) Oil probs? None that I have ever heard of. I use conventional 10W30 and a motorcraft filter and change every 4800-5000 miles. 138,000 miles and still going strong!
2) Coolant probs? not with an '02.
3) Sensor/etc. issues? nothing that is none to fail all the time. just a mixed bag that appears no worse (and maybe not as bad) as most other modern engines.
4) better mpg? Drive easy, downhill all the time, with a stiff tail wind if you can manage it.

Glad you found us and hope you hang around!

Old 08-16-2004, 02:19 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Heh, Brian is dead no. The 2002 is a pretty tough truck. Pretty much all the problems/flaws were fixed by then in the truck.

As far as MPG's go, there is not much that is going to get your MPG's waaay up there. Better air flow = better fuel efficiency in my book, so get the intake/exhaust set-up that homer suggested...maybe even throw in a set of MAC Headers for performance/imporved airflow. Also, keep up to date with your plugs/wires. I'd suggest Motorcraft Wires. Unsure about plugs. They tend to make a difference in MPG's also.

Tips/Facts to know about your truck:

-Redline is about 5500 RPM's
-Powerband starts opening up at around 2300 RPM's (your torque curve in other words)
-Your stock speed limiter is around 96 - 97 MPH...(your govenor in other words)
-YES, there are many performance parts for your truck.
-202 is your trucks stock HP (I think that's about 170 rear wheel hp, but not sure on that one)
-It can tow very well for a V6.

Treat the truck nice, and she'll treat you nice.

Joe