1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'49 Ford restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When working with these older trucks you want to look at the availability of parts to take care of them once you are done getting them to your desired point of completion. Not all of us have the same taste in vehicles and it would be boring if it were so. Make the truck the way you want it and enjoy it. The point of making sure you like it with the transplanted Toyota power plant in it is valid. It will be difficult to sell with that combination in it. I am aware that Toyota makes a very respectable drive line and all that but it has been designed and researched for a light vrhicle application and I believe that in the long run it will be under powered and the lugging down to pull the heavier vehicle will bring on an earlier failure to the engine than what it was designed for. Whether it be cam, stroke, or bore the engines that are in the trucks are designed for pulling and require torque verses horsepower. Give it a good long look before dropping the Toyota engine in. Good luck with the project.

Gear Up

Old 08-17-2004, 04:34 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I go by way of rodding, When rodding its up to the person with the ideas and the skills to achieve the goal he’s looking for if that’s a Toyota power plant so be it, make it work and we’ll all be impressed. Ever wonder what they thought when someone first mentioned the idea of a Plymouth/Chrysler front end under these Fords, I for one don’t even like to mention the Chrysler part in my project..
You could be on to something!! Don’t let this discourage you.
Best of Luck
Mike