Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Hood upgraded

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 06:39 PM
buzo-ech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood upgraded

Comments about this mod, please:

http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-ESC-0104-STOCK.html

Old 08-13-2004, 07:05 PM
splashtm
Senior User
I guess I would hope to never need to have that much access to everything under the hood! Honestly, though, it would be great if they just built them like that in the first place.

Old 08-14-2004, 04:18 AM
echoy97
Junior User
My old Tbird comes with this kind of hood , it was great for show-off when my friend's car don't have it.

Old 08-14-2004, 07:15 AM
echoy97
Junior User
Some V8 cars use those hood because the hood is big and heavy. If you want a new hood for your escape, you may want to buy one that has hole on top so that fresh air can get in to the engine.

Old 08-15-2004, 08:28 AM
bananaboat
Senior User
I'd double check on where those mount on the hood. We've got a pretty flimsy hood. I'd to see those installed only to have the mount area warp/strip after a year or so. I travel a two line highway at 70mph and see alot of rocking in the hood when I catch the wind off a large truck from the opposite direction. Last spring the hood opened to the point that the secondary release was all that saved it from fully opening and slamming into the windshield/cab. I'd just worry if they aren't designed to allow some rocking without putting stress on the mounts.

Old 08-18-2004, 02:02 PM
buzo-ech
New User
I got this reply from the manufacturer:

"Attaching our hood QuickLIFT has zero effect on anything, other than opening the hood. The hood latch in the front of the vehicle is designed to grab, hold and latch the hood. Our QuickLIFT has zero affect on the latching operation. We are replacing the prop rod with gas springs, just as many vehicles have included stock from the factory. This whole assembly and kit cannot affect hood closing or latching, that is not possible. The whole kit is designed to tuck up nicely when the hood closes.

Please note the following information and post where necessary - others are incorrect.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Brian

Redline Tuning"

Old 08-18-2004, 08:21 PM
bananaboat
Senior User
Originally Posted by buzo-ech
"Please note the following information and post where necessary - others are incorrect.
Sounds like they got a little defensive in sales/marketing. I wasn't suggesting it would impact the operation of the hood latch. I was more concerned with how the struts mounted to the hood and inside the engine compartment. If it's a rigid mount which doesn't provide for any hood swaying when the hood is closed (rocking between the driver and passenger sides), I was wondering how the mounting assembly would hold up to being mounted to thin sheet metal. If the strut doesn't allow for some "play" then the stress gets transferred to the mounting assembly which I assume is probably 4 sheet metal screws secured into the hood. It won't cause problems with the struts but it could cause the screws to strip out from the hood.

While I like my Escape, the last vehicle I owned with such thin sheet metal AND a hood that can rock/lift/wobble due to the wind from vehicles coming in the opposite direction was a 77 Datsun. Eventually the hood supports gave way at the tack welds due to the movement.

The struts may be just fine. Just something to watch for if you drive a lot of highway miles.

Old 08-19-2004, 10:40 AM
buzo-ech
New User
Thank you for your comments. I just want to take advise of people with more experience before proceeding to any mod.