Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

It's Official - DCX's 6.1 Hemi with 425 HP

Old 08-15-2004, 10:21 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by P51D Mustang
It seems that with the time lag it takes to bring new products to market, that Dodge planned these products on asumption that gas prices would stay moderate. They came out with the hemi Magnum, It's kinda of a modern day nomad, and it's a cool idea, in that context. However, I'm not sure how a 14mpg station wagon is going to do in the market with $2.00+ gas prices.

To get a high HP number, using two valves per cylinder-pushrod technology, you must shift the power band upward. You could shoot for strong low end tourqe using two valves per cylinder, but the HP number will be less. Most consumers don't understand lb-ft of tourqe at a given RPM, all they hear about is how much HP somethings got. Dealers want a high HP number they can use to wow customers with. The Dodge dealer can say: "look are hemi has 100 HP more than the other guys V8."
It will no doubt hurt....in the long run if it does not get better soon...it could mean that model never would get up to speed........no pun

Old 08-15-2004, 09:35 PM
calgary_redneck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it looks like dodge is gonna enter the next energy crisis gracefully lol

Old 08-16-2004, 09:07 AM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That car will NOT be '03 Cobra fast. Book it. It may turn 13's, but barely. The '03 Cobra's are 12 second cars. Cobra's are and will be faster. More area under the curve, thanks the the SC, and much lighter.

I guarantee that only limited edition cars (and maybe trucks) will get the 420 hp version. There is no way that DC will put that engine in the regular old 3/4 ton truck. See their track record with the V10 for an example. A 6.1 may eventually come in a truck, but my money says it ends up having about 375 hp and about 400 torque.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigsnag
That car will NOT be '03 Cobra fast. Book it. It may turn 13's, but barely. The '03 Cobra's are 12 second cars. Cobra's are and will be faster. More area under the curve, thanks the the SC, and much lighter.
I researched the 03 cobra because I was thinking about purchasing it. At the time when I quit researching. It had turned 1 12 sec quarter. All other quarters were in the 13.3-13.5 neighborhood. I thought the one 12sec quarter was a fluke and disregarded it. I couldnt figure why in 20 tests one rag was able to pull an extra 5 tenths out of the same car. It defied logic.

Old 08-16-2004, 06:08 PM
BVister
Senior User
At the Mopar Nationals this weekend, I saw 2 300C hemi cars run. One went 13.92 absolutley stock. The other was running 14.20's at mid day in the heat. If the 340 horse 5.7 can run in the low 14's, high 13's, the 425 horse version will be well into the 13's. 12's wouldn't surprise me with a few mods either.

Old 08-16-2004, 06:47 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
C&D turned a 12.9 with a '03 Cobra. Motor Trend turned a 13.1, and they "only" got a 13.0 out of an '03 'Vette that day too. I don't think anyone would argue that the new Vette's are mid 13 second cars. You must have been researching pre-'03's to come up with 13.5's. That's what the NA 4.6 DOHC's were turning.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
I just looked up the specs. The 300c and the Cobra are with 250lbs of each other. I ran both through the hp et calculator. I got 13.3 for the cobra and 12.9 for the 300c. So if the cobra is running 12.9 to 13.1 then is it possible for a 300c to run a 12.6?

Old 08-16-2004, 08:01 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
HP calculators are notoriously inaccurate, especially when it comes to supercharged, nitrous, or turbo applications. We'll see what it actually turns when it makes it into production. Also, the Cobra's are GROSSLY underrated.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:57 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HP calculators are notoriously inaccurate, especially when it comes to supercharged, nitrous, or turbo applications. We'll see what it actually turns when it makes it into production. Also, the Cobra's are GROSSLY underrated.
That's true. As a former Supra owner, I can safely say that all the Toyota guys hated the Cobra because, even though some guys had 450+ hp Supras, the Cobra would beat them in the 1/4 mile. They all admit to it and jump on anyone who claims that they could beat a new Cobra with just a slightly modified Supra. The reason goes to the area under the curve. The Cobra is so quick because it's power comes on low and keeps on going up. Stock '03 Cobras have been dyno tested at 425 hp and 425 ft/lb. With it's superior low end torque, it blows tons of cars away. This is the same reason that the lesser powerful Mountaineer can outrun Chevy's inline 6 trailblazer. The power is there, but takes so long for it to be reached.

As for the 300C, it is another car that will not fit in any category. It's not nearly as wide, long, or spacious as a Crown Vic, not as fast as the '05 Mustang GT will be, and styling that mimics the Kia Armante. It will probably go the way of the prowler, a nice concept on paper, but poor execution.

Old 08-16-2004, 11:08 PM
BVister
Senior User
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
As for the 300C, it is another car that will not fit in any category. It's not nearly as wide, long, or spacious as a Crown Vic, not as fast as the '05 Mustang GT will be, and styling that mimics the Kia Armante. It will probably go the way of the prowler, a nice concept on paper, but poor execution.
Say what you want about the 300C, but it is already Chryslers best selling car in nearly 20 years. Dealers can't keep the Hemi versions in stock. The three dealers in my area have waiting lists for the cars because they are selling faster than they are being allocated. The 300 is very roomy inside, is faster than the Marauder could have ever dreamed of being, and looks great, better than any other midsize car currently offered. Not what I'd call poor execution, more like a home run.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:41 AM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
I think it will end up being like the PT Cruiser. Just another car in a year or so. DC is really good about coming up with new ideas and cool looking cars. The problem is, neat looks wear off. After a year or so, it comes down to more than a novelty. People want a good reliable car at a good price. Anyone else remember when PT Cruisers were the hottest thing going and bringing several thousand over sticker?? Now its hard for dealerships to give them away. After the looks wore off, people realized they were nothing but a cool looking Neon.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:55 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
And some never got the cool looking part
ESPECIALLY with a 4 cylinder motor ? What were they thinking ?

Old 08-17-2004, 07:59 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it will end up being like the PT Cruiser. Just another car in a year or so. DC is really good about coming up with new ideas and cool looking cars. The problem is, neat looks wear off. After a year or so, it comes down to more than a novelty. People want a good reliable car at a good price. Anyone else remember when PT Cruisers were the hottest thing going and bringing several thousand over sticker?? Now its hard for dealerships to give them away. After the looks wore off, people realized they were nothing but a cool looking Neon.
Actually the PT cruiser is more of a stratus/minivan hybrid, not neon.

I personally feel that the 300 is a very good sedan to be offered by one of the big 3. Both GM and Ford really don't offer a car in this catagory.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:41 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like the Prowler, not available with a BIG V8 or a manual. I never saw one, at least. Good looking car, though.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Budly
Senior User
325 HP in a sedan (as of right now) is MORE than enough power for it to be considered a "Big V8". If they put the 6.1 in it i cant imagine how much it would blow the doors off all the other sedans. I love the looks, feel, acceleration etc of the 300, none better right now for the money IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's Official - DCX's 6.1 Hemi with 425 HP