roof rack for a '95 Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 05:37 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
roof rack for a '95 Bronco

Howdy,

I'm looking for a roof rack to put on the hardtop of my '95 Bronco since space is at a premium with 3 kids and a gf, and it will probably a year or two before I can get something bigger. (probably an Excursion)

I'd prefer to have something that:
a) doesn't require drilling holes
b) easily removable (I only need it when we all go camping, or on a journey)

I'd prefer to buy something, but if I have to, I may be able to build it myself, or have it built. (have a welder friend)

TIA,
aur

Old 08-19-2004, 12:47 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Hmmm, anyone with a roof rack?! Any roof rack.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:57 PM
scootin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't help you on the roof rack, but have you considered the racks that attach to your trailer hitch? A buddy of mine has one for his Durango, and it works pretty good. Makes it kinda difficult to get to the back cargo area from the outside, but there is a compromise for the room it saves inside. Just an idea...

Old 08-19-2004, 01:05 PM
beastybronco
Senior User
the roof really isnt very strong to hold much
im battling the storage room issue right now, the trailerhitch trays are good for temporary but i am currently trying to develop a way to use the space under the back seat(with the help of many ppl here on FTE), if u go under ur truck you can basicly sit up under there, lots of space and i want to make a storage container in that space that is accessable from the cab, preferably without removing the back seat

Old 08-19-2004, 01:25 PM
BroncOBX
Freshman User
I looked for a long time for a roof rack for my 96. I didn't want to drill any holes either but could not find anything that would do what I wanted without drilling. I mounted two pairs of artifical rain gutters on the fiberglass top and use a Yakama crossbar setup. This requires removing the headliner below the removable top and drilling eight holes. The brackets come with backing plates which I sealed with RTV. I have used this for many years with no leaks or cracking in the top. I have used the rack for a canoe, kayaks, lumber, ladders and many other things. I can install or remover the crossbars in a matter of moments. I can give you specifics of where the brackets are mounted if interested if you are interested.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:04 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
OK, to answer everyone in order:
a) I'm already planning a custom made hitch mounted carrier that also attaches to the rear bumper (need to drill 2 holes for that), so it will be stronger and more stable, and also somewhat bigger than the ones I can buy in a store.
b) but I have some bulky, but relatively lightweight items (a small sailboat and a canoe) for which a roofrack would be ideal.
c) I was wondering about that big empty space underneath the cab some time ago -- I was thinking about an auxiliary gas tank, or a storage area where I can stash those items I hope I never need to use (jack, starter cable, tools, rope, etc.) but I'd still like to keep with me in case of an emergency. However, accessing that from the cab would mean cutting the floor, but I don't want to do that.
d) I'll send you PM

Old 08-21-2004, 08:49 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BroncOBX
I can give you specifics of where the brackets are mounted if interested if you are interested.
Hey, I can't send you neither PM nor email as they don't show up in the menu for your name. Can you PM or email me the details?
TIA

Old 08-21-2004, 09:04 PM
BroncOBX
Freshman User
I just enabled to PM function.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:33 PM
pilot815
Senior User
I saw a bronco awhile back with an awesome idea for a roof rack. He built the rack to fit over the top of the hard top. He ran supports from that down the side. He then built mounts where it would bolt down between the top and the truck bed. It looked like a good idea and wood be very simple for a person with any welding experience.

Old 08-22-2004, 12:13 AM
msuforeman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is mine that I built. I did drill holes though. I took out the headliner bolted it up and put the headliner back in and you can't even tell. On the top I have 4 heavy duty hinges. I have a set screw that holds the pin into the hinges.

Old 08-22-2004, 02:09 AM
Jaster
Junior User
Hmm... there was a removable rack i saw in a catalog a few years back, you need to drill holes for 2 brackets on the front, but the whole of the rack was removable cept those 2 brackets i'll see if i can find it again

Old 09-01-2004, 08:43 PM
MCarlson
Senior User
I mounted the universal strips/tracks from thule. I had to drill the holes, but they came with silicone inserts for the screws so I didn't have to touch the headliner and have had no problems with leaks. I had to buy the four feet/brackets and two crossbars. You can take them on and off in about two minutes. I use mine to hold a canoe. total cost was around $150. I plan on making a rack to put on top of the bars this fall.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:09 PM
jesta302
Senior User
Yakima makes a good set as well. Rain gutter brackets/crossbar in front.
Shell mounted brackets/crossbar in rear. Must stay on the single layer (inside lines) of shell. As mentioned, properly ,ounted brackets won't leak. I added a 1/4" x 2" x 6" plate underneath for good measure. Paint it over, and no one notices it. Have hauled (3) white water canoes PLUS two or three kayaks at the same time. Have done this for 5+ years with no problems. Like Thule, system dismounts in minutes.

Walt from NC