Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2000 Explorer A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 11:14 PM
hotrodford_88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-09-2001, 07:03 PM
ssundell
New User

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2000 AWD XLT and have a question about the A/C operation.

Can you adjust the temperature while in the MAX setting?

My 97 F-150 allowed me to adjust the temperature while in MAX but my Explorer just stays cold.

I took it to the local dealer who said this is normal operation.

I called several other dealers who said I should be able to adjust the temperature so I took it in to one of them three times. After replacing the A/C door actuater motor assembly and temperature switch they now tell me that not being able to adjust the temperature in the MAX setting is normal.

Help??

Old 05-09-2001, 11:13 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The whole point of using the Max Setting is to recirculate the air inside the vehicle to speed cooling or heating of the interior . The setting should be returned normal once a desired temperature is reached & fresh air can then be reintroduced to the interior .

Old 05-10-2001, 09:28 AM
winfordr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe that the temp is not adjustable in the MAX position. MAX and NORMAL should only control whether or not outside air is allowed.

I prefer to run under NORMAL because of keeping some fresh air intake to prevent carbon monoxide (in case there is ever a leak), and to keep the a/c system from smelling stale.

I do use the MAX condition sometimes when I get behind a Chevy, to keep the oil fumes out. (Also, sometimes we have skunks, diesels, etc, so it's handy then). I have a 91 and 98. I have never noticed that the temp is not adjustable in MAX. I will check it out.

Winford

Old 05-10-2001, 10:19 AM
ssundell
New User

Thanks for the feedback.

I was always under the impression, based on previous vehicles I've owned, that the MAX vs. Normal adjusted the amount of recurculated interior air and the temperature control controlled temp. and they operated mutually exclusive.

My point is that I have 6,000 left on the warranty and want to correct this problem, if it is a problem. Different dealers tell me it is or it isn't a problem.

So I'd appreciate any 2000 Explorer owners letting me know how their system works.

Also, do the repair manuals indicate how it should work? The owners manual doesn't give that kind of detail. Is there someone at Ford Corp. we can ask these kind of questions too?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Old 05-10-2001, 10:37 AM
reberhardt
Elder User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-May-01 AT 11:40 AM (EST)[/font][p]On my '97 Explorer the temperature is not adjustable in the Max setting until you make a very simple modification. That is the way the system was designed. The way I got around it was to look for a vacuum operated solenoid between my coolant recovery bottle and my engine. It was mounted to a cooling/heater hose. When you put it in Max, the act of moving the lever provides suction on the vacuum line to the soleonoid. This closes the solenoid which prevents the hot coolant from warming up the A/C air like it does in the Normal position. My vacuum line had a 90 degree connector to connect two 1/8" vacuum lines. I pulled the connector off the vaccum line and stuck a golf tee in the connector and put tape over the line going to the solenoid. The solenoid is only used int he Max cool position. Once you know where it is, it only takes a minute to pull the connection apart and plug it up. I do it in the winter here in Phoenix since it gives me the ability to shut off the outside fumes when stuck in traffic. In the summer here in Phoenix, it is OK to blow maximum cool A/C air, but not in the winter.

Old 05-10-2001, 10:38 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you purchase one of the repair manuals for your Explorer from Helm , it will be very detailed & should have a diagnostic routine for any problems associated with the heating & a/c system.

Old 05-10-2001, 11:06 AM
ssundell
New User

Thanks for the info on the manual!!

I don't think my system is vacuum operated since I have a rotating temp. control vs. the lever type.

My original complaint was not enough cooling and no temp. control in MAX. The first dealer did a checkout and said both issues were "normal" operation. The second dealer, on the first trip, replaced the motor door assembly which was binding and this did improve the cooling, they replaced the temp. potentiometer on the second trip to correct the temp. adjust problem which didn't help, and on the third trip informed me that non-control of the temp in MAX was "normal".

That's why I'm confused, my 97 F-150 had the same type of A/C controls and I could adjust the temp., the second dealer initially tells me that I should be able to control the temp. and after several tries changes their story. I also called a third dealer who said I should be able to control the temp. in MAX.

I'm sooo confused ...

Now I remember why I don't take my vehicles to the dealer for repairs (flash backs to the three transmission replacements in my 93 Caravan). My F-150 never needed a repair in 80,000 miles, unfortunately it was totaled by some idiot who didn't look before cutting across a divided highway, you should have seen his car, or what was left of it. I really like the Explorer, when I can get it away from the wife. I guess If I find out I do have a problem I could just take it to my normal mechanic who can fix things right the first time and PAY to get it fixed.

Sorry for the ramblings ...

Old 05-10-2001, 12:46 PM
winfordr
Posting Guru

Sounds like reberhardt has the answer and solution.

I will check out my 98 this evening to see if it has the same solenoid.

I guess this is a consequence of having to use the inferior refrigerant R134a to get maximum cooling.

I still want control. I don't like machines second-guessing me.

That's why the only thing I don't like about my 98 is that it's an automatic, and I can't control the engine rpm while accelerating/decelerating like I can in my 91 5 speed (and my Mustang, and my F150, and my Ranger, an most of the other Fords I have owned over the last 40 years).

Winford.

Old 05-10-2001, 08:09 PM
ssundell
New User

Yep reberhardt knows his stuff.

I found the selonoid and watched it activate when I switched to MAX A/C. So that answers my question as to whether or not my A/C is operating properly. It has a thin hard gray tube coming out of the selonoid and it didn't want to pull out easily so I'm going to leave it alone. Since one of my four trips to the different dealers did result in my system cooling better I can live with the way it works.

Thanks to everybody for their help!

Old 05-11-2001, 09:45 AM
winfordr
Posting Guru

I second that conclusion. I checked my 98 and it's the same.

Now if I knew if the vacuum was swithed to the valve from the switch or if there is an electrical solenoid....

If it's electric, then a bypass/override switch could easily be installed to enable/defeat the shutting off of the heater water.

Anyway, reberhardt wins this round.

Winford

Old 05-14-2001, 11:38 AM
reberhardt
Elder User

The solenoid is vacuum controlled. There is a small 1/8" hard plastic line coming out of it. It is about 6" long and plugs into a rubber 90 degree connection. The other side of the 90 degree connector goes to another 1/8" vacuum line that is much longer and ultimately winds up behind the dash. I unplugged the short line that goes to the solenoid from the 90 degree connector. I taped up the end of the hose that goes to the solenoid so no dirt gets into it and plugged the 90 degree connector with a broken off golf tee. Try twisting the hose before pulling it out of the 90 degree connector.

Old 05-17-2001, 08:42 AM
ssundell
New User

Mine doesn't have the 90 degree connector, just the 1/8" tube disappearing into the firewall.

But now that the system cools better and I know that this is how it is supposed to work I'm happy.

Thanks again for helping clearup this issue!