1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 10:33 PM
taylordm1971
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing belt change

I need some hlep and maybe someone can help me. I need to change the timing belt on my 94 ford ranger and I need to know what all I am going to have to do. I know how to get to the belt I just don't know what all I am going to have to do. I am fairly knowlegdeable of vehicles I just have never changed a timing belt. If someone can tell me what all I need to do or tell me where I can get the information I need I would really appreciate it.

thanks

Old 08-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

You must have the 2.3L engine on your Ranger, so here is a link that should get you going: 2.3L Timing Belt Change

Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
that link rockledge gave is helpful to an extent. it is also inaccurate. it lacks important steps. do a search on this forum to find info on the subject as there are several threads out there.

Old 08-10-2004, 11:34 PM
StevenRanger
Freshman User
El conquistador is correct about searching the forums for answers. This forum help me to change my belt and clutch on my 2.3l 89 ranger in the last 3 months. Also search by the persons name for answers. Search under my name. I can say the most important advise (If belt is broken) is to loosen the grank bolt before you remove any other belts.On my truck that bolt was so tight that trying to loosen it after I remove everything else was impossible. I could rotate the engine is was so tight. Even in gear the truck would start to roll. Putting it back together is the easy part

Old 08-11-2004, 08:52 AM
taylordm1971
New User
I will look and thank you. I will go ahead and tell a little more aobut my 94 ford ranger. it is a 4 cyl, and a manual trans.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:39 AM
taylordm1971
New User
I tried to find what I needed and I found an article but it said there was an error. If you could email it to me that would be great. My truck as been down for over a week and my husband is running the wheels off of my explorer.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:24 PM
kpg
New User
If as you said you are comfortable working on the engine, go for it.
Timing belts are not that hard, I've changed them on many different
types of motors. The 2.3 is very easy compared to some. The only
trickey part (on any motor) is making sure the timing marks are lined
up right after the tension is put back on the belt. You need to turn
the camshaft gear 'back' a little then then put the belt on and move
it 'forward' to take up the slack. It's hard to explain but once you
do it you'll wonder why you were so intimidated by it. My 2.3 had
a bad front seal leak that caused the timing belt to wear out every
6 months! I got to the point where I could do the whole job in about
30-40 minutes. (I'm working on the seal now.)

Good Luck!

kpg

Old 08-11-2004, 03:55 PM
kotzy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did a 93 yesterday. Remove fan, fan clutch and radiator shroud, Drain coolant down enough to remove top hose. At this point you may want to attempt to loosen crank
bolt.. If your not succesful and have no impact wrench, here is what I did. Remove serpintine belt, the crank pulley. I was then able to use a large pipe wrench on the harmonic balancer allowing it to rotate against the belt tensioner. Useing a breaker
bar and a piece of pipe about 3' long I could break it loose. I took care as to how I placed the pipe wrench and did not mark the balancer. Pull off the balancer with
a puller, the 4 bolts holding AC compressor and tie it up to the hood (about 4 or 5 inches will be enough). The power steering bracket has 5 bolts, 4 accessable from the
top and one that comes on next to the steering box undeneath. The one next to the strg. requires a 13MM box wrench. Getting the belt cover off is simple. The only thing
left is the crank sensor. I took the sensor out of the bracket (2 small screws) The bracket must come off (2 10MM headed screws). It will not just pop off you have to take a hold of it and pull it out of it's recess. Then you can remove the crank belt guide washer take the tension off and remove the belt.
This is about as good an account as I can give you. The only thing I did on asssembly
was made sure the crank sensor didn't hit he shutter on the balancer.
Good luck

Old 08-11-2004, 04:25 PM
kotzy
Elder User
I have one thing more I'd like to say, I could change a Pinto timing belt on a parking lot
with a hand full of tools in 15 to 20 minutes, either I'm getting to darn old or the
2.3 without a distributor isn't a Pinto!!

Old 08-11-2004, 07:26 PM
taylordm1971
New User
since the belt didn't brreak do I need to go through all of that to get it done, yes I am looking for the easiest way to do this. I guess I can't just slip it off and slip the new one back on with out tearing everything down. If I can please let me know so I can get it done. My husband is going to help me and he is running the wheels off of my explorer. As I said my husband will be helping and he doesn't hae the patience to do this so I need the easiest way possible.

Old 08-11-2004, 08:39 PM
kotzy
Elder User
That is what needs to be done to change the timing belt. Since it isn't broke why
do you want to change it? If it doesn't run there must be another reason.

Old 08-11-2004, 08:53 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kotzy
That is what needs to be done to change the timing belt. Since it isn't broke why
do you want to change it? If it doesn't run there must be another reason.
it is not good idea to wait until the timing belt breaks to change it. they seem to break at the most inopprotune times like on the highway going 65 or something. Its NOT advisable to wait until then. timing belts are usually changed at 60,000 mile intervals. It is definately not a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", It is routine maintenance.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:06 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
heres the thread from awhile back regarding the timing belt:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=222669

Old 08-11-2004, 10:48 PM
taylordm1971
New User
since those are instructions for a 91 is it the same on a 94?

Old 08-12-2004, 06:21 AM
kotzy
Elder User
The belts on the later engines have the radiused tooth design not the square tooth.
These belts have a far longer life, most of the car makers recommend a change at
100,000 miles. The one I changed had well over that on it.

Quick Reply: timing belt change