1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

High Ryder option?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Bronco2guy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High Ryder option?

I am trying to buy shocks for my 1988 Ranger STX "super cab" 4x4 w/ 2.9L V6 and I am having NIGHTMARES finding anyone who can get them. The predicament, as it seems, has mostly to do with what is called the "high ryder" option. I am not sure what this is, or if my truck has it for sure, but ALL the parts stores and books and internet sights seem to have to know whether or not i have it, yet NONE of them can offer any information as to WHAT IT IS or how I can find out if I have it. I have searched several internet sites as well as checked with AutoZone, Advanced, O'reillys, NAPA, Bumper to Bumper, and I EVEN called the ford dealership in my area and NONE of them can tell me for sure what the "high ryder" option is and if I have it. The general consensus seems to be that it refers to the factory installed lift that was included with my truck as part of the "STX" offroad package. I tend to agree with that because it makes sense and I compared one of my shocks to one that was listed for "except high ryder option" and mine was longer when fully extended. Can any of you tell me FOR SURE, though, what exactly that is refferring to??????
Assuming that it IS reffering to the lift, that leads me to the second part of my delimma, my truck also has a rear stabalizer bar which seems to be throwing all the parts stores for the REAL loop. They all say they have listings for "except high ryder" and "w/ high ryder" and also for "except w/ rear stabalizer bar" and "w/ rear stabalizer bar" PLUS they show one for "except w/ high ryder option and rear stabalizer bar" but NO ONE shows a listing for "w/ rear stabalizer bar AND high ryder option." I don't know where else to turn. If anyone has ANY information on where I might be able to find some shocks for this thing please let me know. I am looking for some good premium highway performance shocks to help hold me through the curves on the road. Also if anyone has any suggestions (from EXPERIENCE) of good brands and series of shocks I should get for that purpose please feel free to add that as well. Sorry this post was so long....peace out.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your truck is old enough that you can call ford customer service and they will send you a build sheet. They can also tell you over the phone if you have that option.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:16 AM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your truck has the high ryder option.Look under the front of your truck look at the radeis{spelling}arms it will have a torsion bar that runs back to the 2nd cross member to the other arm .Thats the lift,also you dont have the front sway bar at least my 87 didnt.