Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2004, 06:44 PM
New User

survey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Odometer roll back

I have 2001 F-150 and I have just installed a new engine and i was wondering if it was possibe to roll back the miles on it. Thankx in advance to anyone who can help me.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
No, and its also illegal even if you could. A new engine doesnt make all the rest of the vehicle newer as well.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 08-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Postmaster

triton_2002 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tampering with the odometer is technically illegal. There isn't anyway to "roll it back" since its stored in the computer, not a mechanical device. I think that a dealership can reprogram the display but it costs big $$. You have the same problem when you switch out a guage cluster from another truck. Sorry there is no cheap way to fix this, as far as I know.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Postmaster

King Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud ofKing Triton has much to be proud of
Hi Survey,Welcome to FTE,and HomerWinzlow is right,turning back the odometer is a big no-no.In the eyes of the law the only reason people do this is to defraud somebody else.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Senior User

wgotthardt is starting off with a positive reputation.
You COULD plan a long trip, put it in 'Reverse' and...nevermind.

Cheers, Wm.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Senior User

solidpwder is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a 97 ranger and i pulled the fuse to the insterment panel, and noting work including my odometer, becasue it got no power. but what goes around comes around. My thermostate froze shut and I didn't know my engine overheaded while I was driving till I saw smoke coming out and lost alot of power. I blew 2 head gasket and crack both of my heads. Pretty exspensive to save 6000 miles. don't really recommend it
Air Raid Cold Air Intake
Outback Grill Guard W/Off Road Lights
Old 08-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Senior User

Camille Marquis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best thing to do is document the change keep it in the glove compartment, being honest in the future wont come back to haunt you who knows what kind of person might buy it from you or how they would handle it
Old 08-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Senior User

solidpwder is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't have to worry about that. I pulled the 4.0L out and installed a 2.3L and I race it in the 4 cly races at the local race track. After its total its going to the junk yard.
Air Raid Cold Air Intake
Outback Grill Guard W/Off Road Lights
Old 08-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Senior User

JH6 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
guys the terms illegal are being thrown around here and I really don't agree with it.

When the motor was put in my tbird, a new odometer was installed, you can buy them at the dealer. I don't know about the newer trucks, do they have the digital odometer? With the older trucks and cars you can just buy the odometer piece itself and plug it into your guage pod.

As for rolling back the odometer, you can do that with a drill turning the miles back one by one.

Just put a sticker in the doorjamb saying when you replaced the odometer, you can get one at the dealership.

If its a racecar or a truck you plan on keeping for a long time, does the mileage really matter? The answer to that is no.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Postmaster

triton_2002 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
guys the terms illegal are being thrown around here and I really don't agree with it.
I know he just wants to reset the odometer to keep the milage on the new engine and is not trying to scam someone who might buy the truck thinking its a low milage vehicle. But messing with the odometer yourself is illegal, if the dealer does it (with the proper paperwork, ect.) that's a different story.

Quote:
As for rolling back the odometer, you can do that with a drill turning the miles back one by one.
You can't do that, the display is digital.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Posting Guru

PaulC is starting off with a positive reputation.
True, so why make the effort to modify the odometer reading? If you ever sell the truck with a rolled back odometer, things might become intere$ting if the new owner runs a Carfax.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Senior User

funkoptimus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do those Carfax's really work I for one have never tried it or seen one so I don't know?
Old 08-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Senior User

Camille Marquis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have not tried it but just mention it and salesman start sweating
Old 08-14-2004, 03:05 AM
Junior User

eandaauto is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah carfax works...dmv records your mileage everytime you get a smog check/registration/etc. so if you ever have lower miles the next time it gets recorded....In any case who really cares if its illegal to do it yourself..its also illegal to drive above the speed limit. If someone knows how to set the mileage back on the computer for those of us who have installed new engines, please enlighten us with information other than "no it's illegal." It matters only if your going to sell it, and who sells a truck after installing a new engine anyways! As far as im concerned, there are too many laws regulating the things we spend our hard earned wages on.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:16 AM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think the point is to keep people from taking more of your hard earned cash than they are entitled to. So you are some rare bird who will never sell your truck, while most people will eventually, and some feel they should represent their entire vehicle as low mileage because the engine is new. I guess you would be Ok with buying a low mileage car that really has 100K on it because the engine is new? When you pay 15K for a vehicle and fork out 5K or more in repairs the first year, you will feel differently about it.
Damn the laws that protect us...

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 08-14-2004, 07:16 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
08, 99, back, engine, f150, fix, ford, illegal, installed, odometer, reset, roll, rolled, rolling, truck, worry