belt driven fan w/ clutch VS dual electric fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 07:27 PM
GasMonkey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
belt driven fan w/ clutch VS dual electric fans

what would be the differnce if i ditched my big belt driven fan and went with dual electric fans in my 94 f150?

would the dual electric fans cool the engine better?

would it affect a/c cooling? cuz as of now it takes a few minutes for the A/C to cool but i think thats just this crazy texas heat.

i also heard it improves gas mileage.

Old 08-09-2004, 07:38 PM
miked79928
Mountain Pass
I have heard that it will improve a/c cooling as well as engine cooling and gas mileage. I have also heard that it will free up a little hp at the same time. I am going to do this to my 89 and see what happens.

Old 08-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.

The dual fan does blow at full power when the ac is turned on. Idling in traffic will test it on hot days. They won't cool the engine any better but the motor will warm up faster on cold days with the electic fans. MPG increase? If you're lucky, you might see a difference. As far as horspower is concerned, remove your fan and take it for a spin without it (don't run the ac). The gain will be the same

Old 08-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Rancha9
Elder User
I did a twin electric conversion on my 2000 Ranger XLT. Now, I only had the 4 banger, but the general priciples are the same.

1. Engine idles/drives quieter. I was surprised how much noise the mech. fan made.

2. Did warm up an awful lot quicker.

3. Power was increased very slightly, mostly noticeable passing on the highway, merging on the interstate, ect.

4. Mileage went up about 5%.

5. No noticeable effect on the A/C.

Total cost for me was about $220. You guys will probably need bigger fans than I had, so you'll probably spend more. Don't forget to put a relay in to run at least one fan when the A/C is on. I got everything I needed from Advance Auto. Good luck to you, if you need any tips/pointers, just ask...