Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Senior User

happycamper116 is starting off with a positive reputation.
GEM Module location?????

Could someone please tell me where the GEM module is located on my 2000 Expedition, and what does it look like? I am still trying to figure out what is getting wet, but would help if I knew where to look, thanks again, BRian
Old 08-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The GEM module is mounted on top of the interior fuse box with 3 screws. You will need to remove the fuse box and GEM together as an assembly to inspect it. Remove the two large bulkhead connectors on the back of the fusebox,(they are bolted in place with a long 10mm headed bolt), remove the two nuts and two bolts securing the fusebox, slide the fusebox back and from the left side remove the connectors on the GEM module, then work the fusebox and GEM down and out of the dash panel. When you get it out look closely down inside the area where the large bulkhead connectors were removed for corrosion, especially at the base of the pins near the outer edge and into the plastic guarded area of the fuse box.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 AM
New User

Greg50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Digging up an oldie here. I've what appears to be the leaky windshield syndrome, and I'm working on taking out the fuse block, and I'm having a heckuva time. Is there any trick to getting to the connectors on the left? Do I have to have the whole dash out? Stuff I've read seem to say you can do it just removing the lower dash, which I've done. I've got the two 10mm bolts out that were holding the big plugs, but I can't get the fuse block to slide out enough to get to the other connectors on the left.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
No you dont need to remove the dash. Its a very tight fit though. If it has power pedals make sure they are all the way to the firewall. Some vehicles you have to get the fusebox almost all the way out and then unplug the module connectors, on others the harnesses are too short and you can only work the fuse box to the side and use tools to release the connectors. Ive had to fight some of them for quite a while like the harneses are bound up in the dash. Im getting too old for that too dangit! LOL

Work the big bulkhead connectors way up in the dash to keep them out of your way and any cables and wiring that may be hanging up the assembly as you are coming out. It will come out though.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 12-01-2010, 11:16 AM
New User

Greg50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Homer. I think I need to work some of the other connectors and wires up out of the way, but they don't seem to have a lot of slack to move 'em around.

For the module connectors, which side has the release on the connector? Is it from the backside, or the front? Can I slide the fuse panel to the right, and have room to get a long thin screwdriver in to press the connector release, or do I reach it from behind?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 PM
New User

96max2fast is starting off with a positive reputation.
back from the dead here... I had an issue after it rained... i replaced the windshield (obviously resealing it) since it had chips already... The car was fine for a week. Last night, it rained and the problem came back. Lights are randomly blinking and truck sometimes turns off...

Help please!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Do you have a moon roof where the front left drain could be dripping onto the GEM under the dash?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:18 PM