2.3L performance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 12:56 AM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3L performance.

Hey fellas, I have some questions that need some wisdom, as I am new too 4 bangers.
I'm getting a 90 mazda b series truck from one of my dad's friends, he is tired of it sitting in his yard. He says it broke down about 6 months ago, and it is a clone of my 92 ranger. It has 2.3L w/ 5speed, and it's a SWB.
The problem with this truck is the gear broke off the crank and he had it welded before but it was a once fix and it lasted a good 10 months or so, and he has since bought another truck. I am wondering what I can do too the engine when I find a new crank, I'm thinking can headers, port and polish the intakes and exhaust. I just want too see how much power I can get out of it on a small budget. This all just for fun.
Any ideas will probly be considered.

Thanks,
Clint

Old 08-06-2004, 04:34 AM
kens64
Posting Guru
Porting and polishing will lose a lot of the low end torque the engine doesnt have much of anyway. I would go with port matching the intake and header, a good cam, and a custom dyno-tuned chip to make the best use of the mods.

Old 08-06-2004, 04:47 PM
hotrodfeguy
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did port and polish,header 2 1/2" exhaust, larger cam.I have not noticed a loss of bottom end power,just an adition at the top.I am now able to go 65-70 on a interstate and pass people.Also dod not notice any loss in towing power either.Hauled 3/4 of a ton to the scrapyard last week on my trailer had no problems.I did notice it spread the gears(shift points) a bit on the tow.Now I can't wait for the turbo :0) my next step

Old 08-06-2004, 06:01 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
Thats good. Some people go a little overboard when porting heads and make the ports far too big to keep velocity high, that is what loses low end power. You must have done it right

Old 08-06-2004, 08:58 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
Hey hotrodfeguy, you would'nt have any pics of that polished head would ya?
I better keep a good watch on how much porting then. What about knife edging the lower intake too the upper?
What kind of cam, would be good too use, can you give me an idea, I would still like too run this thing off 84 octane or so.
Who sells chips for these things, I thought that with a few mods like this, the comp. would adapt itself too them.

Clint

Old 08-06-2004, 09:01 PM
elgiblito
Freshman User
Also keep in mind compression ratios with the turbo and make sure your block has the oil port to lube the turbo as my 92-93 block does not.

Unfortunately I dont know what kind of boost you can run with a 9:1 piston but most 2.3t's I have checked on came with an average of 6:1

But best of luck to you and keep us posted I have an idea in mind that might be usefull on my ranger with a similar set-up

Old 08-06-2004, 09:01 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
The computer will only adapt so far. It needs to be reburned or a flip chip installed after that. To stay with low octane, keep the compression low and ignition advance to a reasonable level.

Old 08-07-2004, 09:48 AM
hotrodfeguy
More Turbo
sorry its long

I have to get the camera back but yea,I'll post them when i have the cam.I just made things radiused, worked the guides big time and ported the exhaust side(took about a 1/8" dia out).It will be esier to post the pic.You can see i didnt even P&P in places that looked good.
As far as turbo goes Stock CR is 8.0 and turbo engines have forged pistons.Got my engine from the yard with 60k on it :0) rering and rod mains and away I went.
For you I would get a roller cam from a yard engine and have it reground to your specs.I would grind things as to weather you want to turbo things later or not.I went with a slider cam(older engine) and used the turbo cam .400 lift 205 dur(was 185 dur 385 lift).With a turbo you want a wide seperation angle and low overlap.Anotherwards a mild cam.If you go NA you want some overlap and duration/lift (more cam).
I have learned the power on these 2.3 engines com from the head cam,and CR.Heads can be shaved on the lima to about .120 netting you about 3 points in CR !!!
I should really dyno this thing before i turbo it

Old 08-07-2004, 01:28 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
Just too note guys, I'm not going turbo.......not yet.
I am considering it as a future swap.
But for now, just tinkering and seeing how fare I can go without going with forced induction.
Would it be best for me too just do the cam, porting, ect. and just see if the comp will work with it? How will I know if the chip won't except the mods?

Clint

Old 08-07-2004, 03:53 PM
hotrodfeguy
More Turbo
I think the problem would be if the stock chip won't handle the changes but you can always get a aftermarket one to work.Most computers will handle CR porting changes its the cam that will whack things off a bit(if you would go TO big).What mods have you done so far?Do you have emmision tests there?

Old 08-07-2004, 04:56 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
Nothing yet, I just getting the info ready so I have everything planned out what I'm going too do. This is south texas and most places just hand out inspection stickers.
So, A new cam will probly be too much for the stock chip, what would you reccomend for a mild cam and a chip that doesent cost me my legs. I do want too use this truck as a daily driver. Also, what do you think about knifeedging the lower intake?

Clint

Old 08-07-2004, 06:47 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
hotrodfeguy- I would love to see the results if you decide to dyno it.

Old 08-07-2004, 10:03 PM
hotrodfeguy
More Turbo
Well I am not a pute 2.3 guru but i know one of the guys ran a RW stage one cam with his pute.He felt it was about the limit one could go (226 duration).I would say being a daily driver P&P,long tube headers and a complete 2 1/2" exhaust would be a great improvement.I would recamend getting your cam or one from a junk yard to regrind with the specs you would want.I would stay in the 205-220 intake duration and would split the exhaust side with more.The exhaust side sux on lima heads.

Old 08-07-2004, 10:12 PM
hotrodfeguy
More Turbo
Just found this on e pay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33631
this will work on your truck,its the same one I got.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:36 PM
hotrodfeguy
More Turbo
I have the pics on puter now just need to e-mail them cause they are too big,how do you make them smaller?

Quick Reply: 2.3L performance.