1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Now for a different type of question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 06:38 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Terry

It sounds possible, especially with trailer brakes. But you just never know exactly what you'll get. Trailer whip is scary. Trailer and rig weight is important, but it isn't everything. I pull a boat that only weighs about 2000# thousands of miles a year. To my amazement, my wife's '03 Escape is a little more stable than my '94 Bronco. The Bronco has a factory towing package and weighs 6000#. Point being many things come into the equation.

I would definitely start with fairly firm springs, dual sway bars and good brakes of course. Are you going front IFS?

Old 08-07-2004, 08:15 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I pulled a 6500lb 29ft travel trailer behind a suburban for a long time. Sway was always a concern. I finally added a SECOND sway bar, and that finally made me feel comfortable. Cheap insurance for $100.

I had an empty rental trailer break away once at 45mph, and push the tow vehicle across a 4 lane highway jacknifed between traffic. The trailer slammed into the curb, snapping one of the axles, breaking the wheel off.
There was NO warning. One minute all ways ok, next out of control. Needless to say, I don't like sway... that was the worst 45 seconds I've ever gone thru.

Sam

Old 08-07-2004, 10:52 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will have IFS up front and run sway bars front and rear. Air springs all the way around. I've pulled trailers with just about everything including my Goldwing. But all those vehicle where setup to tow what I towed.

Of course this is still all in the planning stage. I could win the lottery tommorow and staying in a hotel for a 1/4 of the year would not be a problem anymore. At that point I would tow a GT behind it instead.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:19 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry, I am talking trailer hitch sway control. Here is a Reese web site
Sway Control. Not talking sway (anti-roll) bars on auto suspension.

Sam

Old 08-07-2004, 11:43 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Never seen one of those before. I'll remember to look into it. Thanks.

I think I will also start a thread in the towing section.

Old 08-08-2004, 07:31 AM
53Merc
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oldjeep
2 Different things, but they look similiar. A 5th wheel looks like a semi setup rather than a ball.

Take a look here:

http://www.etrailer.com/fifth-wheel.aspx
Thanks for the info Oldjeep!

GW

Old 08-31-2004, 02:34 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
I talk with Art Morrision a few weeks back about this possiblity. Art is a pro frame guy and he is close to wher I live. In general he see's no problem with doing this except one. The aftermarket front kits, the spindles are not strong enough for pulling a trailer. His suggestion was to grab one of the late model front ends out of a truck and mod it to fit. Sounds like alot of work but isn't that half the fun.